First Annual Done

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

IP076

Re: First Annual Done

Post by IP076 »

counsellj wrote:That engine has seen very little operation over it's last two years. Fly the hell out of it. Change oil every 25 hours and do an analysis. It just might need to be "exercised" to get it back to better compressions. 100LL or Mogas? Any fuel additives being used?
Sorry Jughead, missed the question you asked. 100LL and I have not been using any additives.
JSwift

Post by JSwift »

The borescope approach is definitely something to do. If you are changing your own oil you can do a pretty good job at the borescope next time in the hangar. Go to Dean Showalter’s excellent website (and Podcast) Airplaneownermaintenance.com. He’s got great advice on which unit to buy and how to read and interpret the results. More than worth the investment as you care for your bird. If you’ve got exhaust valves that are going bad you will likely be able to tell if you use his guidance. Agree with the others above that say they won’t likely correct themselves. Proper care is needed based on what you see. I’ve been taking trend photos of mine before each annual. Good luck!
N2594D, 1952 170B #20746
Near Enfield, CT
Let's go fly!
IP076

Post by IP076 »

Hey all,

Got around to getting a borescope and trying my hand at taking a look. Here's the pics:

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing

First time really doing anything like this, so not all the pics are perfect, and some may be multiples. They go in the order of piston face, views of the valves from the piston, exhaust valve, intake valve. If anyone takes a look and feels like chiming in, the input would be appreciated.

Definitely some deposits around. The suspect cylinders are #5, and to a lesser extent #3. Regarding #5 the exhaust valve seat in the head looks like it may be an issue.
c170b53

Post by c170b53 »

Just my opinion if this was my engine, now that you know the area where the valve is not seating, go fly it, lean and run the engine at high rpm. Come back down, cool down and take another look at the valve seat. For minimal downtime, buy a new cylinder and replace it. Doesn't matter what you find with the cylinder, once it's off, just replace it so at least you're flying again. Only thing is you'll have a good view of the cam and number six lobes tend to be the first to go.
I think you found what you would expect a high time engine would look like, cylinder walls highly polished, lots of combustion deposits, well curved valve seat faces and fresh cylinder head oil deposits. Start saving up some money and keep your eye out for a good used engine.
Jim McIntosh..
1953 C170B S/N 25656
02 K1200RS
Vertical

Post by Vertical »

I just finished replacing two jugs. Feel free to PM me if I can help.