75th Reunion Celebration group parking at Airventure 2023

Upcoming aviation events and reports.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

Bruce Fenstermacher

Re: 75th Reunion Celebration group parking at Airventure 202

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

cnflys wrote:Do any of you know if it is possible to fly into Oshkosh without ADSB out? I've read the NOTAM, but did not see mention of it. I haven't flown in there since before the 2020 mandate. Thanks in advance!
I agree with Karl. OSH is NOT in
  • Class A, B, and C airspace;
    Class E airspace at or above 10,000 feet msl, excluding airspace at and below 2,500 feet agl;
    Within 30 nautical miles of a Class B primary airport (the Mode C veil);
    Above the ceiling and within the lateral boundaries of Class B or Class C airspace up to 10,000 feet;
    Class E airspace over the Gulf of Mexico, at and above 3,000 feet msl, within 12 nm of the U.S. coast.
And therefor it is not required.

I have never seen a NOTAM used to change airspace equipment requirements. Not sure a NOTAM can be used in that way.
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
c170b53

Post by c170b53 »

I thought in the past they wanted transponders off when in the approach areas. In my limited experience TCAS and ADSB would be of little value when often the Oshkosh approaches resemble the inside of that box the guy puts his arm in for a OFF commercial. You certainly need to be looking outside all the time. One year on approach guys were sliding in line to FiSK from above, below and both sides much like the guys on the freeway passing on the inside merge lanes. 1/2 mile forget about it, more like 500 ft , Very uncool. When Fisk told everyone to break left and reform around the lakes it was like a reenactment of a WWI dogfight, amazing no one plowed into someone. Get there early if you can especially if there’s weather would be my advice.
Jim McIntosh..
1953 C170B S/N 25656
02 K1200RS
Karl Towle

Post by Karl Towle »

Jim has a point, and the last time I flew in, it was with Transponder off as well. But, for reasons unknown, the 2023 NOTAM calls for the transponders to remain on. Was the same in 2022 as well. Here's the quote:
Approaching Transition Starting Point Ensure lights are on within 50 miles of OSH. Leave transponder on throughout approach.
Karl
Karl Towle

Post by Karl Towle »

Heads up for everyone: Dave Finamore has mailed out the Window signs and parking instructions to everyone on his sign-up list. If you haven't received your copy, it could mean he doesn't have you on his list, and/or the wrong eMail address was registered, or maybe his eMail (with "suspicious" attachments got culled as SPAM by your eMail provider. Here again is how you register: Send an eMail to: mailto: <EDIT. cessna170bravo@gmail.com He needs the following information: Name, N-number, Model, Year, Phone eMail address, Forum Name, Home base.

Karl
dstates

Post by dstates »

Karl Towle wrote:Jim has a point, and the last time I flew in, it was with Transponder off as well. But, for reasons unknown, the 2023 NOTAM calls for the transponders to remain on. Was the same in 2022 as well. Here's the quote:
Approaching Transition Starting Point Ensure lights are on within 50 miles of OSH. Leave transponder on throughout approach.
Karl

It has been standard procedure for Airventure to leave transponders on for the last few years. ADS-B changed the game. It is very helpful for those who have ADS-B in. You get to see a majority of the aircraft around you (obviously not 100%). It was nice last year, I was able to space myself behind the plane in front of me using ADS-B instead of just guessing what a 1/2 mile spacing is. The Fiske controllers were also using the ADS-B info to occasionally call out tail numbers if there was a specific plane doing something out of line.
Last edited by dstates on Wed Jul 05, 2023 1:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.
N1235D - 1951 170A - SN: 20118
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Doug’s comment about ATC calling a particular plane speaks well for Not Using “Anonymous” ADS-B mode, perhaps.

I plan to disable “Anonymous” mode for the entire convention/oshkosh flights.
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
c170b53

Post by c170b53 »

Agree, last year they wanted the transponder on. ADSB great when getting near Oshkosh, but once nearing the Conga line, I’d forget about it. At that point everything should be in your head, frequencies set in the radios and be on your watch. Some interesting flying can be observed in that line. I’ve only flown in 5 times, so what do I know, last year was fairly civil and orderly and busy. I think that last year was the first year of the extended transition entry point but I didn’t see an aircraft until Green lake, then there were many around Ripon and the line was full to Fisk. Lets hope for good weather, it makes all the difference.
Jim McIntosh..
1953 C170B S/N 25656
02 K1200RS
c170b53

Post by c170b53 »

George, I didn’t know I had a following until a few friends mentioned they had been watching my progress across the USA last year. Kind of neat that you can see where your friends are and predict when they’ll show up at the convention.
Jim McIntosh..
1953 C170B S/N 25656
02 K1200RS
DaveF

Post by DaveF »

ADSB is very helpful on the Ripon-Fisk arrival. Of course I’m looking out the window, but an occasional glance at the iPad helps to assure me that I’m not missing someone.
Karl Towle

Post by Karl Towle »

I may have cut/pasted an incorrect eMail address.
Heads up for everyone: Dave Finamore has mailed out the Window signs and parking instructions to everyone on his sign-up list. If you haven't received your copy, it could mean he doesn't have you on his list, and/or the wrong eMail address was registered, or maybe his eMail (with "suspicious" attachments got culled as SPAM by your eMail provider. Here again is how you register: Send an eMail to: <EDIT> cessna170bravo@gmail.com. He needs the following information: Name, N-number, Model, Year, Phone eMail address, Forum Name, Home base.
Please use the following eMail address instead: cessna170bravo@gmail.com
Karl
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Dave’s email states that as you leave the runway to display a VAC sign…then as you get to “MAGOO” on taxiway “PAPA” to display our Cessna 170 Parking sign.

I’m just curious why we’re to display Vintage Aircraft CAMPING (VAC) …instead of VAP (Vintage Aircraft Parking)…. (EVEN IF we’re not Camping with our airplanes..??) or is this simply a more expedient way to get us all parked together as a group..?
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
Karl Towle

Post by Karl Towle »

Dan told me that this was a contingency for if we land on the 9/27 side of the airport - the VAC sign will get us headed in the correct direction. As we get closer, the marshallers will be more familiar with the special parking for our 170s and the special sign will then be effective. I was left with the impression that if landing on the 18/36 runways, the special sign would be the one to show. That's all I know at this point. I'm planning on having both available so I can get to the correct place. Dan may chime in with more detail, since he is also on our forum.

Karl
sfarringer

Post by sfarringer »

GAHorn wrote: I’m just curious why we’re to display Vintage Aircraft CAMPING (VAC) …instead of VAP (Vintage Aircraft Parking)…. (EVEN IF we’re not Camping with our airplanes..??) or is this simply a more expedient way to get us all parked together as a group..?
George, it is because the special C170 parking area is actually in the Vintage Aircraft Camping area, so the sign gets you marshalled to the appropriate general area. When you get to the general VAC area, the special sign gets you marshalled the rest of the way to the special C170 area.
You are not required to camp with your airplane.
Ragwing S/N 18073
DWood

Post by DWood »

The Vintage VAA area starts at the Vintage Red Barn. The VAA Flghtline crew covers South of there. Landing on 36 which is typical and going to the North end of 36 can put you in the EAA Flightline crew area. This will depend on which dot you are instructed to land. They will recognize the VAC sign but not neccessarily the Special 170 Group parking sign. The VAC sign gets you heading South towards the 170 parking. Have the signs back to back so it is easily flipped to show the VAA Flightline crew. The VAA Flightline crew are the best and they will take care of you. If you get parked in the wrong area, please park where they tell you, cooperate with them, and explain the special 170 parking to the Flightline crew. They know who to contact and will get you moved to group parking. Please do not argue with them.
There is always a chance that.you might land on 9-27 depending on runway closing or winds. I personally have requested 27 before due to winds. No reason to be a hero. The VAC sign is recognized by ALL Flightline crew and will get you headed to VAA parking.
We have over 150 170s registered so plan to arrive early.
Please have a safe flight and see you there. I will monitor the forum until 7/20.

https://eaavintage.org/

https://www.eaa.org/airventure/eaa-airv ... airventure
DWood

Post by DWood »

The webcams are active.
Vintage and Ultralight cover the VAA area.

https://www.eaa.org/airventure/live