Johnson Creek Idaho

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

LToxvard

Johnson Creek Idaho

Post by LToxvard »

Looking at planning a trip to explore the Idaho backcountry, anyone fly into Johnson Creek with the stock O300? Not to worried so much about gettin in, it’s getting out that has me a little concerned.
Joe Moilanen

Re: Johnson Creek Idaho

Post by Joe Moilanen »

LToxvard wrote:Looking at planning a trip to explore the Idaho backcountry, anyone fly into Johnson Creek with the stock O300? Not to worried so much about gettin in, it’s getting out that has me a little concerned.
I've been into Johnson Crk. several times over the past 30 years with my 170B. I do have a climb prop (8043) but tons of stock 170's have been in there. Stay as light as possible, and plan your departures early while it is calm and cool. It gets hot during the day in Summertime, but I've seen frost on the strip on August mornings also! Just beware of your density alt. The 170 is a two place airplane at best in the Idaho back-country. Once I get there, set up camp, and my plane is empty, I'll typically get up early and hit some strips that make Johnson Crk. look easy! I'm usually tied down by noon. Feel free call me if you want to chat about it.

Joe
4518C
360-430-0634
Joe Moilanen

Post by Joe Moilanen »

LToxvard wrote:Looking at planning a trip to explore the Idaho back country, anyone fly into Johnson Creek with the stock O300? Not to worried so much about gettin in, it’s getting out that has me a little concerned.
Also, go to: www.itd.idaho.gov/aero Near the bottom of the page look at SOP's (Standard Operating Procedures). There is an excellent guide to landing and departing Johnson Crk., everything you need to know about all the procedures there.

Joe
4518C
Joe Moilanen

Post by Joe Moilanen »

LToxvard wrote:Looking at planning a trip to explore the Idaho backcountry, anyone fly into Johnson Creek with the stock O300? Not to worried so much about gettin in, it’s getting out that has me a little concerned.
You'll have to go to the "Publications" tab to get to SOP's.

Joe
Joe Moilanen

Post by Joe Moilanen »

Here's an old cell phone video that my wife took several years ago landing there, quality sucks but you'll get the idea...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J_PQVQi3hmQ

Joe
daedaluscan

Post by daedaluscan »

I went in there several times with the O-300. Not too heavy and respect the DA and you will find it quite comfortable. Depart to the North and its downhill all the way to the sea:)

It is a beautiful strip in great condition and well worth the visit.
Charlie

1956 170B C-GDRG #27019