Insight on panel

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

n2582d

Re: Insight on panel

Post by n2582d »

It’s interesting that your baggage compartment sidewall panels are like the IPC depicts them for the ‘48 — two piece rather than three panels like the 170A IPC shows. Are there snap socket fasteners attached to the fuselage along the left rear corner of the baggage compartment? If so, that might indicate that your two piece canvas cover is originally from a ‘48.
Gary
AWilson

Post by AWilson »

n2582d wrote:It’s interesting that your baggage compartment sidewall panels are like the IPC depicts them for the ‘48 — two piece rather than three panels like the 170A IPC shows. Are there snap socket fasteners attached to the fuselage along the left rear corner of the baggage compartment? If so, that might indicate that your two piece canvas cover is originally from a ‘48.

Ill check it out when I can. I do know this aircraft was originally sold with the stretcher. I wonder if that matters. Also my aircraft was an earlier one. maybe it was a running change.
49 A model, serial 18963
Bruce Fenstermacher

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

AWilson wrote:My incompetence is holding me back from posting pictures. I will figure it. But in the meantime:

The "light conductor" is unfortunately missing
The factory horn has a "light conductor" in the middle of it. The lens is so dark and perhaps the bulb burned out, that most people don't realize it has a light. #89 is the warning unit and #90 is the light interracial to it. As your radios are there it is likely the whole unit was just placed under the instrument panel. Look for a black cylinder about 1.5" by 4"
Screen Shot 2023-06-27 at 12.23.41 PM.png

Going halfway up the firewall is what I believe is piece of original carpet. It is a brown. Pretty ugly!

Also above that and presumably behind it is some insulation. Is there any asbestos concerns I should have? It looks like yellow fiberglass building insulation.
There was a firewall sound deadening pad but it sounds like your looking at owner installed house insulation sound deadening material

The factory equipment list says "Stall warning indicator" Looks like a regular cessna stall warning device on the L.E. of the wing. Has what looks like a modern buzzer on the glove box.
is it a black round cylinder with a lens in the middle of what looks like a speaker grill? If so, that is the original horn/light combo

Interion doors and window frames are painted red. But I see a cream color behind the side panel on the door post.
Has TIC170A developed any modern day interior paint color equivalents that I could consider if I want to go back to original?
In your case there is only two colors. Silver French Gray and Dark India. The surround of your compass has a sample of Dark India. The French Silver Gray is likely all that gray around the main instrument panel you have. It will also be the gray of your seat frame

Behind the seat, under the hat rack is what looks to be original green canvas covers that go along the sides and back. They are snapped in I believe.
You have the original green canvas that came form the factory. Cessna called them panels in the IPC but they are canvas panels snapped in place, not a hard panel like your doors have on it.

I will strongly consider sending the instruments in for refurbishment. It looks like some of the faces are not originally black. The seem to be a light beige or tan. Is this correct?
If so, were all like this or only some?
Are the dials and numbers themselves supposed to be white? or is the off white correct?
The brown you are seeing is, I believe faded black. I never thought they were tan. We see this on a lot of old instruments in 170s. As most of us weren't around and old enough to remember, or now of an age we can't remember, what color white these gauges had new in '49, we have to think they were white. Good question to ask Ken at Keystone Instruments. He's a second generation instrument refurbisher.
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
jrhoa2

Post by jrhoa2 »

AWilson wrote: It looks like some of the faces are not originally black. The seem to be a light beige or tan. Is this correct?
If so, were all like this or only some?
Are the dials and numbers themselves supposed to be white? or is the off white correct?
I am not well versed on the history of the 170's yet as I grew up it the 120/140 world. I am fairly confident that the 120/140's came with the brown faced instruments that you have from the factory. I am not sure if they were an option on the 170's. Here is a link to the 120/140 forum. https://www.cessna120140.com/Forum2018/ ... php?t=1044 About half way down there is a picture of a 140 panel with the brown faced instruments. I hope this helps
James
5729E '59 150TD "BarFly"
AWilson

Post by AWilson »

Thanks much. It does!
49 A model, serial 18963