Landing gear repair

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

marktoula1

Landing gear repair

Post by marktoula1 »

Hello all

I’m working on my 48 and decided to add the P-Ponk kit. When I started I found my outboard gear mounts were laminated. Does anyone have a good process for changing these? I,ve seen various things on the internet but nothing I’m comfortable trying yet. Can these be changed without removing the floorboards? Any help would be appreciated.
Arthur
cessnut

Re: Landing gear repair

Post by cessnut »

The least invasive way that I have found is to remove the forward floorboards, remove the gearbox floorboard to the flap tunnel, remove the rivets from the lower flange of the forward gearbox bulkhead. This should allow you to flex the forward bulkhead enough to remove the outboard castings. You will need to drill the rivets at the upper and lower attach angles. Do not succumb to the temptation to bend the upper flanges of the gear box bulkheads. I can't tell you how much butchery I've seen in 170s, 180s and 185s from people trying to shortcut this process.
marktoula1

Post by marktoula1 »

Thank you for this.
Arthur
marktoula1

Post by marktoula1 »

Here is an update on my project.

We removed the forward floorboard, removed a few rivets from the seat rails and those holding the aft sections of the flap tube. removed all the rivets from the top gear box sheeting and slid the gear box cover back until the entire gear box is exposed. I did remove the inboard gear mounts as well to inspect and clean and found one of those bad. fortunately I had a replacement, all of this gave us great access to the outboard mounts to remove them. Total time to get to where the gear box was exposed and the inboard mounts removed was 6 man hours. We are making a photo journal of all of this for future reference. Doing this we didn't have to bend or modify anything. Thanks for the suggestion, at least when we are done we will know all of the gear mounts are in good shape. We are planning to clean everything up really well and prime everything.

Arthur