Pre-Buy in Oregon, Cessna 170A

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

JF1200

Pre-Buy in Oregon, Cessna 170A

Post by JF1200 »

Hello everyone,
I am new to the forum, and also the association. I am a student pilot learning to fly out of a small airstrip (7S9) in Oregon’s Willamette Valley and just about ready for my check ride. I have been combing the forum for information and, well, there’s lots…pretty cool!!

A few weeks ago, I was presented with an opportunity to become the proud owner of a 1950, 170A - I pulled the trigger and am really excited. That said, I am working through the buying process and need to find someone to look my new prospect over. My goal is to steer away from the average “standard” inspection, but rather find someone who knows all about 170’s - a true pro in the world of 170 maintenance (who is also an A&P with the appropriate credentials to take care of the inspection) and maybe even passionate about classic Cessna aircraft…seems like there might be a few of you here;). I am of course willing to pay for travel if it makes sense. Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Jon
voorheesh

Re: Pre-Buy in Oregon, Cessna 170A

Post by voorheesh »

I’m kind of surprised nobody has responded to your request for suggestions, so I’ll take a crack at it while also telling you there are others here more qualified.

The consensus on this forum is that a pre buy inspection is best accomplished by performing a thorough annual. This is because an annual inspection is a formal certification of airworthiness. I would go on to recommend that you find a A&P mechanic with Inspection Authorization who will perform future maintenance on the aircraft for you. In other words, your mechanic, not the seller’s. That would probably be the best course. There is a reputable maintenance shop on your airport that reports years of experience (Whiskey Hill/Lenhart Airpark). I don’t know them but they would be a logical place for you to start. I don’t think Cessna 170 expertise is necessary, although it wouldn’t hurt. An honest mechanic with some aging aircraft experience should be fine. There is tons of experience and resources available here and you would be well advised to join this association to access them.

A 170A is a 70 plus year old airplane that can be maintained in a thoroughly safe and airworthy condition by many experienced technicians. A lot can happen in 70 years however, so you should be really careful before “pulling the trigger”. There can be hidden or latent problems many of which relate to where it’s been and how it was used. You need to know that going in. Don’t expect guarantees. But in the end, a good 170 is definitely worth the effort.

I’m pretty sure there are 170 owners nearby in Oregon and Washington and you should try and get in touch for possible advice. I recommend you get an experienced Cessna tailwheel pilot to fly this airplane on a pre purchase test flight (assuming it passes Airworthiness muster). You might also find an instructor with 170 experience who can help you get your tailwheel training and endorsement. As a former owner of a 170 A, I can tell you you have chosen a wonderful airplane that is a joy to fly. Good luck and hope you have success!
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Jon, I do not know any contacts in Oregon who meet your suggested qualifications….. and is probably the only reason you’ve not rec’d answers from the Membership….
Have you seen the list of suggested “Special Items” which should be addressed regarding Cessna 170’s..?
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
JF1200

Post by JF1200 »

Hi Guys, thank you for the feedback and great suggestions. I have connected with the maintenance folks at Lenhart's and found them to be the mechanics taking care of the airplane most recently. Mike and team had a few suggestions regarding folks I could connect with for a "second opinion" and I will be sharing the fantastic list that Gorge put together and turned me towards with my Pre-Buy/Annual inspector.

Thanks for the support guys! Take care.