Potential New Caretaker of C-170B

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

majorsti

Potential New Caretaker of C-170B

Post by majorsti »

Hello all,
I am in the process of buying a '52 C-170B and joined this association to learn more about the airplane. I'm a low time pilot (just a PPL) with most of my time in 152/172s, 0 tailwheel time, and I just am enamored with the 170B. Hopefully the purchase process will be smooth and successful--I have not bought an airplane before. I am also building a Van's Aircraft RV-8.
My son and I are planning on flying it here and there, $100 hamburgers, museum visits and camping with the airplane. My son is a CFI with tailwheel time who needs to build time to reach the airlines, etc. Me, I just want to build time, especially tail wheel time (see RV-8). Airplane will probably stay VFR unless I happen on a good deal for a 2nd radio, etc.

Chris Sawyer
Athens, GA
(will insert tail # after purchase is successfully completed--I don't want to jinx it)
Van's RV-8 (building)
www.hucksplace.net
ghostflyer

Re: Potential New Caretaker of C-170B

Post by ghostflyer »

Chris,
Welcome to the association , there is a large amount of knowledge and talent in this group. Besides having a web page and forum there is a convention each year changing to a different location each year. plus numerous fly ins . If you have a question ,someone some where will have an answer . So when the big day comes [purchasing the aircraft] send your photos in . Looking forward to see your aircraft .
brian.olson

Post by brian.olson »

Welcome, Chris! I am based out of KFFC just a short hop away. Will be nice to have another 170 in the area. Once you and your son get everything squared away let's plan on meeting for breakfast at Barnstormers some Saturday morning.

Kind Regards -

Brian
Brian
1950 170A
N5762C s/n 19716
strangebird

Post by strangebird »

Good luck on our puchase, like Brian said one more 170 in Ga,, we need to get the 170's together and meet at Barnstormers,
If you need any help, just ask
Pictures when able please