0-300 NEW STYLE Accessory Case

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

Bruce Fenstermacher

0-300 NEW STYLE Accessory Case

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

New style accessory case? What am I talking about. Well as much time as I've spent looking through the C-145/0-300 IPC, I never noticed this before. There on page 16 is the good old accessory case we all know but what's this on page 18? Must be a mistaken duplicate of page 16 but wait, there it is in the description, "Figure 10. Crankcase Cover Assembly (NEW STYLE).

For the last few days I've been corresponding with an individual from outside the US who owns a 172H with an 0-300-D which he had overhauled. During overhaul it was discovered that his accessory case was cracked about the starter mounting area and so a NEW accessory case was ordered. 8O

Holy cow. Did anyone know you could still buy a NEW O-300 accessory case. Yessiree you can.

Engine was assembled, test run and sent back to him. With a few months delay the engine was installed and started. Much to his surprise he had low oil pressure and his tack was being driven backwards. He found my email in a web search no doubt linked to a thread or threads I've posted which convinced him I might know a thing or two about the 0-300 and he sent me an email. Did I mention english is not his native language (I'm guessing) and he is blind from an airplane accident so he can't see the picture and illustrations I sen him and he can't go take requesting pictures without relaying my request to a helper.

Initially there was some confusion as he thought his maintenance co told him they installed a IO-360 accessory case and that is what he told me. Holy cow is that possible I thought as I downloaded the IO-360 IPC. I knew the tack drive was integral to the oil pump gears and if his was running backwards it's no wonder he's got no oil pressure. Low and behold the IO-360 accessory case is somewhat similar to the 0-300 but one difference is the oil pump runs opposite the normal 0-300. I thought how does this compare to the GO-300 which is a geared engine which runs in reverse and so must it's oil pump. Quick download the GO-300 IPS and overhaul manuals. But wait a minute, whats this NEW STYLE 0-300 accessory case. The study began.

As it turns out he did not have a IO-360 accessory case, he had the NEW STYLE 0-300 accessory case with an oil pump that ran backwards JUST LIKE the IO-360 his maintenance co. chief commented.
Original style accessory case
Original style accessory case
So sure enough the NEW STYLE case has new oil pump gears and they are driven by another gear the runs on the inside cam gear teeth and this gear drives the top pump gear not the bottom as the original style did. The original style lower pump gear is driven directly from the center of the cam gear and the lower oil pump gear turns in the same direction and speed of the cam. The NEW STYLE gear being driven by a gear running inside the cam gear also turns at least 2 times, maybe more, faster than the cam. To correct the direction of the tach drive a 90° gear box is used to change directions and slow the rotation speed back down. This reduction box is listed on page 18 with the accessory case.
NEW STYLE accessory case
NEW STYLE accessory case
But how does the oil flow from the sump to the pump to the rest of the engine if the oil pump is reversed. Well I wish I knew. The illustration in the IPC on page 18 looks pretty much like the one on page 16. Sure it is at a different angle and not shaded, and has a few more ports that are plugged but besides the oil pump gears, loos the same.

Lets look at the GO-300 accessory case illustration. Yep looks the same. Wow ,wait a minute now it's not. The 0-300 accessory case has the suction screen on the bottom left and the filter on the bottom right and the GO-300 has there positions swapped. Thats how a reveres oil pump could work. Problem is this in not how the NEW STYLE accessory case is illustrated. Of course we've seen IPC illustrations wrong before.
GO-300 accessory case
GO-300 accessory case
I asked for pictures of the installed NEW STYLE accessory case and thought sure I'd see the suction screen and filter locations swapped like the GO-300 but no, it's not.

You will notice the casting looks cleaner and what I think more modern from the castings of most accessory cases we see. Around the filter adapter you see a wide flat machined area with threaded holes which look like there may have been some kind of filter manifold available to be bolted on. This is not what you find on a old style accessory case. And look to the left of the filter adapter. In the picture is an open suction screen hole. Problem is this engine, I think, has been run and there would be oil in the sump. How is it not running out of the suction screen hole. Unless it is modified internally.
0.jpg
0-1.jpg
Still so many questions how does this accessory case work with the oil pump running backward.

One question that seems to be answered though is the low oil pressure seemed to be a combination of low adjustment of the pressure relief spring or maybe something holding the relief plunger off the seat and also oil trying to make its way through and filling the oil cooler you can see plumbed of the filter adapter under the filter. So while I don't understand how this accessory case with a reversed rotating oil pump can work, apparently it can.

So how many here have seen a NEW STYLE accessory case in person. Anyone have one uninstalled they could share pictures of?

Would be nice to see one and solve this mystery.
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
johneeb

Re: 0-300 NEW STYLE Accessory Case

Post by johneeb »

Looks like the pressure relief valve is moved to the other side of the acc case, could that mean the flow through the engine is reversed?
John E. Barrett
aka. Johneb

Sent from my "Cray Super Computer"
n2582d

Post by n2582d »

Because of the machined surface around the oil filter adapter base I think you're looking at an IO-360 accessory case. Those threaded holes are there for mounting a flanged TCM 90º oil filter adapter as shown here.
Flanged Oil Filter Adapter Click to Enlarge
Flanged Oil Filter Adapter Click to Enlarge
The illustration for the "New Style" cover assembly, as you pointed out, doesn't show this. Given the checkered history of the F&M/Tempest filter adapter, I'd encourage the guy to consider using a O-360 adapter as shown above. One more piece of free advice for maintaining oil pressure over the long-term: replace the copper oil pressure line with a flexible hose.

As far as the oil seeming to go the wrong direction, compare the old style passages between the screens and the pump to the illustrations showing how these same passages cross in the IO-360 cover, and I presume, in the "New Style" O-300 cover.
Old Style parallel passages, Click to Enlarge
Old Style parallel passages, Click to Enlarge
IO-360 Crossover passages Click to Enlarge
IO-360 Crossover passages Click to Enlarge
Last edited by n2582d on Wed Feb 07, 2024 1:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gary
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

There’s a “whole slew” of parts-differences between the original “Old Style” and the “New Style” accy cases. Since the oil pump drive-vs-driven gears are reversed… the tachometer-associated parts also change…all the way down to the oil seal used on the tack drive. The asterisks and “notes” on the individual parts shown in the IPC are numerous.

As these engines continue to grow long-in-the-tooth it will become more important to have only technicians who are Experienced in repairing these particular models when it comes to Major Repairs or Overhauls.
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

johneeb wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 2:37 am Looks like the pressure relief valve is moved to the other side of the acc case, could that mean the flow through the engine is reversed?
Reversed only within the accy-case…not the engine. (actually… the NS accy case is more straight-forward …it is the OS accy case which reversed the oil flow from Left-to-Right and back-again.)
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
Bruce Fenstermacher

So after working with this person over a weeks time and having worked through what accessory case he had, as you can see I wanted to discuss the fact that there is a new style accessory case in the 0-300 IPC, and it works different with a reversed oil pump, but I'm not sure how.

Then my first email this early am from George getting back to me from email sent a week ago says if I had the part number of the accessory case they got I'd know what it is. But we've already figured it out George, I thought. And I just wrote a long thread about the new style case. But wait I do have a picture of the part number but I never looked it up because I was told he had the new style case not the IO-360. I stopped mid reply to George and looked up the part number. And as Gary figured from the picture, yes he has a accessory case meant for a IO-360 ES installed and operating on a 0-300 D.

How is that possible that a IO-360 ES case could even bolt up. I wonder if Continental knows it will bolt on. I wonder if they approve?

c170b53

Post by c170b53 »

I would think there’s a bunch of old cases available too, heck I’ve got two gathering sawdust in the garage.
Jim McIntosh..
1953 C170B S/N 25656
02 K1200RS
Bruce Fenstermacher

c170b53 wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 3:29 am I would think there’s a bunch of old cases available too, heck I’ve got two gathering sawdust in the garage.
And I have two as well Jim, but neither of us are in Croatia. :wink:

Actually I have one 5 hole and one 3 hole, the last a variant found on C-125 and early C-145 engines that must be used with a matching 3 hole sump. Mine are making excellent saw dust collectors, future use on an engine would have to be determined.

Bruce Fenstermacher

GAHorn wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 11:17 am
johneeb wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 2:37 am Looks like the pressure relief valve is moved to the other side of the acc case, could that mean the flow through the engine is reversed?
Reversed only within the accy-case…not the engine. (actually… the NS accy case is more straight-forward …it is the OS accy case which reversed the oil flow from Left-to-Right and back-again.)
:? The OS case has the relief valve on the right and it is located at the end of the oil flow through the engine, not the beginning. The NS case and other model cases such at the IO-360 case have the relief valve at the beginning of the flow as it exits the case prior to oil passing through the engine.

My question is is this. It looks like, comparing the illustrations from the side we see them, that the casting of the OS and NS case are the same other than the oil relief is moved from the right to left side. Of course we can not see any molding difference hidden in the back of the NS case. Hard to believe they could get the flow from a reversed pump leaving the left side of the pump back over to the right side to the oil filter. Yet that is what they did on the IO-360 case. This is why I asked, has anyone have or seen the back side of a NS case?

GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

And, in the quote of myself (above, from an email to Bruce) ..I misposke. Both accy cases trade the oil left/right and back again apparently…the difference being suction vs pressure.

Here is a view fo the pathway thru the OS accy case:
IMG_2449.jpeg
n2582d

Post by n2582d »

GAHorn wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 11:17 am … Reversed only within the accy-case…not the engine. (actually… the NS accy case is more straight-forward …it is the OS accy case which reversed the oil flow from Left-to-Right and back-again.)
George,
I was rather confused by this remark as it seemed my photo of an old-style accessory case clearly shows the oil passages going straight down from the oil pump directly to the suction screen and high pressure screen. The illustration you provided in the last entry explains your misunderstanding though. One needs to take a closer look at that illustration, Fig. 29. Look specifically at “section through high and low pressure oil screens” on the left side. There you see the horizontal line defining the split between the accessory case and the oil sump. Here’s three thousand words worth of pictures:
Click to Enlarge
Click to Enlarge
Click to Enlarge
Click to Enlarge
Click to Enlarge, White = low pressure, Black = high pressure
Click to Enlarge, White = low pressure, Black = high pressure
Gary
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Well….DOH..! This is what happens when you sit in the recliner cruising the forums instead of going out to the hangar and refreshing ones-self with a pretty obvious reminder! :oops:

Thanks for clarifying it with a Great Illustration!
johneeb

Post by johneeb »

With this discussion and Wolf's travelogue I have gotten my monies worth for the forum and it is only February
John E. Barrett
aka. Johneb

Sent from my "Cray Super Computer"
Bruce Fenstermacher

Gary, thank you thank you for the excellent photos of the sump with those sticks through the ports of the sump and then extending them through the sump. I don't have a sump on hand and have been trying to imagine it from the illustrations, an impossible task. And I can even emagine how the oil gets up to the galley in the case half.

Bruce Fenstermacher

And update. The engine owner is very confident his overhauler built this engine to meet EASA standards as they were contracted to do. He doesn't seem to have any paperwork that explains how a IO-360 ES sump would be approved on an 0-300. I've highly suggested he get that documentation from his overhauler for his records because he is likely going to asked how this modification is approved sometime in the future. And by that time his overhauler may not be able to provide the documents. I've tried to convey how rare this mod may be. I don't think I'm getting through though.

I also asked him to share this documentation with me if he should get it so that we may be able to use it here in the US.