Ragwing fuel cap seals

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

scovan

Ragwing fuel cap seals

Post by scovan »

We just finished rebuilding a ragwing 170. New fabric on the wings, new paint, upholstery, some new control skins. It is all finished now, the problem is when it sat outside in a rain storm we picked up about a cup of water in one fuel tank. The seals on the fuel caps are in bad shape.
We tried to order new seals from Cessna but they are no lnger avaiable.
We ran a search on a parts finder site but nothing came up. The cap assembly is avaiable from Cessna but on a "made to order" status. They have no breakdown for the cap assembly available. Any ideas on what we might be able to use for a fuel cap seal.
We needed new flap return springs, they were not available from Cessna. The springs are different than the 170A model springs.
We finally were able to have some made at Kansas Coil Spring Company. They had the drawings and specs from when they had originally made them for Cessna. They wanted the same price for 2 springs as for 10 springs. SO, we have 8 springs left. If anyone needs them please let me know.
zero.one.victor

Post by zero.one.victor »

My ragwing has big O rings for gaskets, and little o-rings for sealing around the shaft--one above & one below the cap itself. You can monkey around with the washers on the inside where the assembly is cotter-keyed together to get the right pressure on the o-rings, where it will (hopefully) seal but you can still turn the handle.
The caps are a poor design, rain just lays in the cup-like cap so they can't hardly not leak. Might be a good idea to fabricate a little cover to prevent this if you keep the airplane tied down outside-- maybe even just a piece of tape over the whole works.

Eric
n3833v

Post by n3833v »

I used truck filter gaskets for the outer ring and thought about using inspection covers of the wing to fasten on the t handle to keep out the rain.
John Hess
Past President 2018-2021
President 2016-2018, TIC170A
Vice President 2014-2016, TIC170A
Director 2005-2014, TIC170A
N3833V Flying for Fun
'67 XLH 900 Harley Sportster
EAA Chapter 390 Pres since 2006
K3KNT
Bruce Fenstermacher

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

n3833v wrote:I used truck filter gaskets for the outer ring ...
Amazing how those tiny FAA/PMA stamps appear then disappear from those parts located at your local truck "Aeromotive" store.
Just amazing, right John. 8O
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Owner produced parts have lots of requirements that must be met, but PMA stamps are not one of them. :wink:
(Logbook entry's, however, are.)
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
3993v

Post by 3993v »

I sent a pm to scovan I do need a set of flap springs, please let me know what you want for them. thanks nick
Romeo Tango

Re: Ragwing fuel cap seals

Post by Romeo Tango »

I am talking with the Kansas Coil company, and they need the specific part number to fabricate more springs. The C170A/B springs are not correct for the ragwing, so part # 0523207 does not apply. Can anyone provide the Parts Manual # for the flap return spring for the ragwing C170? If I get that sorted out I plan to have them build a bunch and will happily share.
Poncho73

Post by Poncho73 »

scovan wrote:We just finished rebuilding a ragwing 170. New fabric on the wings, new paint, upholstery, some new control skins. It is all finished now, the problem is when it sat outside in a rain storm we picked up about a cup of water in one fuel tank. The seals on the fuel caps are in bad shape.
We tried to order new seals from Cessna but they are no lnger avaiable.
We ran a search on a parts finder site but nothing came up. The cap assembly is avaiable from Cessna but on a "made to order" status. They have no breakdown for the cap assembly available. Any ideas on what we might be able to use for a fuel cap seal.
We needed new flap return springs, they were not available from Cessna. The springs are different than the 170A model springs.
We finally were able to have some made at Kansas Coil Spring Company. They had the drawings and specs from when they had originally made them for Cessna. They wanted the same price for 2 springs as for 10 springs. SO, we have 8 springs left. If anyone needs them please let me know.
Inverted paper plates over each filler cap when outside in rain. Hold them down with a small piece of tape in four places. You would not believe how well it works, Chine-net plates work the best!
jrhoa2

Post by jrhoa2 »

Since I am from the 120/140 world, I am not completely versed on the 170 ragwing fuel caps. I assume they are like the ragwing 140's. If that is the case, a tuna fish can, painted red, fits perfectly over the cap to prevent rain water from entering the tank.
James
5729E '59 150TD "BarFly"
n3833v

Post by n3833v »

I found that some old style oil filter seals worked and make sure you replace the Oring's on the stems. That solved my problem.

John
John Hess
Past President 2018-2021
President 2016-2018, TIC170A
Vice President 2014-2016, TIC170A
Director 2005-2014, TIC170A
N3833V Flying for Fun
'67 XLH 900 Harley Sportster
EAA Chapter 390 Pres since 2006
K3KNT