Calendar

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

jmbrwn

Calendar

Post by jmbrwn »

I was going to go to Kinko's and have a calendar made with pic's of my C170, and got to thinking why the Association didn't have one available? Has this been offered before...I"m fairly new here, so if it has, I apologize for asking. Might be possible to generate some extra income for the Association...just thinking out loud. I've collected pics of other C170's and was also thinking of putting them in calendar also. Kinko's prices are $19.99 for deluxe calendar with a different pic for each month. They have cheaper versions, but this is the nicest. Orders over 100 brings the price down to $9.99. The guy told me he did an order of 50 for a lady yesterday and had them ready in 24 hrs. Comments?
Jim Brown
N9753A
'49 C170A
AR Dave

Post by AR Dave »

OOOOOOOOOBOY! Let me give Susan a quick email to see how she's doing! Good Ideal Jim! :)
doug8082a

Post by doug8082a »

This question comes up every year around this time. There are many of us, myself included, who agree with you that it is a good idea. The Association has fielded the question twice (that I'm aware of) and said "No" both times. I have to admit, the frustrating thing was they never said why they shot it down... Just "no". :? If they did have an explanation, it was never published in the newsletter.

There was a member (Susan) who was fairly active for a while, but seems to have disappeared from the radar this year. She produced calendars on her own from her C170 photo database. I bought one and it was a nice job. Haven't heard from her in quite some time, so I doubt we'll see any calendars this year.

I still don't see why the Association doesn't produce one. :? With 1200 members, you'd think there'd be enough interest to recoup the cost.
Last edited by doug8082a on Wed Dec 15, 2004 2:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Doug
zero.one.victor

Post by zero.one.victor »

I bought one of Susan's calendars pretty early on last year. There was someone who later sent her some money or pay-pal'd for a calendar, who posted that they never got their calendar. I don't know if they ever got ahold of Susan or what the outcome was. FWIW I was very pleased with my calendar.
A couple years ago, I wrote the Assn & suggested that calendars would be a money-maker. (I'd sure buy a 170 calendar quicker than I would a plastic log-book holder, or some of the other junk, er merchandise the Assn has for sale!) I recall a response about like Doug's. The bad thing about calendars is that leftovers don't generally sell too well the next year!
Jim, if you were to produce a calendar with different 170's displayed for each month, I'd sure be up for buying one if the price is reasonable. Probably others would be too. You might be able to tap into Susan's database of 170 photo's.

Eric
doug8082a

Post by doug8082a »

I'd buy one too.

I wonder what happened to Susan and that database. I recall that she took it over from another member because he didn't have time/resources to maintain it. I wonder what it's state is now?
Doug
Dave Clark

Post by Dave Clark »

Count me in.
Dave
N92CP ("Clark's Plane")
1953 C-180
zero.one.victor

I just tried to get onto Susan's 170 photo website, as well as her calendar website. susang777.home.mindspring.com c170pics.org No luck, looks like the websites are shut down. There is another 170 photo site. c170.com

Eric
Jr.CubBuilder

Post by Jr.CubBuilder »

I'd buy one for sure. Last year I bought the one from supercub.org but now that I have a 170 I would much rather have new 170 pics to look at every month.
N1478D

Post by N1478D »

zero.one.victor wrote:I just tried to get onto Susan's 170 photo website, as well as her calendar website. susang777.home.mindspring.com c170pics.org No luck, looks like the websites are shut down. There is another 170 photo site. c170.com

Eric
I captured that database about a year or so ago to a CD. Did have trouble at the first getting the CD to spin up to the proper speed. But used PhotoShop_51A to adjust George's plane to an A and painted it green and then everything worked fine. If we need the database to send somewhere for calendars we still have it.
Joe
51 C170A
Grand Prairie, TX
jmbrwn

Post by jmbrwn »

Well, I just burned my pics to a CD and plan on dropping by Kinko's when convenient to have them make me a calendar. I figured that an order of less than 100, price would be $26.89 each...this includes $5 for shipping (guessing) with $0 profit...not that I wanted to make money on this deal anyway...kinda steep in my opinion for a calendar, even for a beloved C170 :( An order for over 100 would be $15.94 each, again $5 for shipping and $0 profit....more reasonable :D I think the best thing might be for whoever wanted a calendar to just take their own CD with their own pics to Kinko's and have a custom calendar made to their own specs for $19.99 plus tax? If you don't have a Kinko's near by, you can visit their website and download them your pics and they'll make and mail your calendar to you (NO...I don't work for Kinko's even though it sounds like I'm promoting them :wink: ) I just thought it would be cool to have a C170 calendar to gawk at. My calendar will have 6 pics of my 170 and 6 other less slightly marginal looking 170's :mrgreen:
Jim Brown
N9753A
'49 C170A
Kyle Wolfe

Post by Kyle Wolfe »

I like the calendar idea. I ordered several from Susan but never received them.

I'd be interested. Count me in (course I might reconsider if it's only got pictures of those shiney polished models with some guy grinning in the reflection showing off the fact that he has no teeth!) Gotta have something to look at when at work - they won't let me have any bikini clad calendars any more.
Kyle
54 B N1932C
57 BMW Isetta
Best original 170B - Dearborn, MI 2005
eight8november

Calendar

Post by eight8november »

Hi all

I live near the person that makes the calendar for our 120/140 association, I could ask her how much it would be to do that if there was enough interest. Our calendar has a couple color pictures and the rest are black and white (to keep costs down).

I could also collect the pictures for her and put them on a cd if this sounds reasonable.

Matt Lahti
zero.one.victor

As I recall, it was Joy Warren (of 120/140/170 instrument panel overlay fame) who was in charge of producing the 120/140 Club's calendars. They're real cool, I have one each from 2002 & 2003. Both years, she sold me (a non-member) a calendar on the cheap-- which I thought was very nice of her.
The 2002 calendar was color photo's on slick paper, the 2003 version was mostly B&W with 2 color pics. I actually liked the mainly B&W 2003 calendar better-- it was printed on non-slick paper, much better for writing on. Also more old-timey looking. It was mostly copies of old Cessna ads, with a few photo's of member's planes. The cover was a collage of 4 line drawings of the 140, also very cool. The only reason I didn't try to get one for 2004 is that I bought one of susan's calendars instead.
If she (or you?) would produce a similar 170 calendar I'd be up for buying one or two, as long as the price was reasonable.

Eric
eight8november

Calendar

Post by eight8november »

OK, I heard from the lady that makes the calendars for the 140 assoc. and she told me that about 100 would be about the minimum amount to make it worth while to do. At 100 calendars it would be approx. $10+shipping.

That would be with 4 color and the rest black & white. Also too we would need some pictures to put in the calendar.

I live in the Detroit area and will be going to the convention. The year would be half over but could still bring some there if there is enough of a demand.

Anybody have ideas on how to sell and ship them??????

Could we run it thru the association????

Matt
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

The idea of a calendar has been proposed to the Board several times and each time has been voted down for various reasons. The next meeting is in February in San Antonio as posted in the Flypaper, should you wish to make another proposal.
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)