My 34th TIC170A Convention Trip

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

GAHorn

My 34th TIC170A Convention Trip

Post by GAHorn »

Well, I made the 34th Annual Convention (my first), and Man! What a trip! We had a great time, and met lots of people we previously only knew by name. It was great to put faces with the names! What a great group we have! I now see why this type-club is better than most I've ever known about. It's the people!!
What promised to be an eventful journey.... proved out to be just exactly that! I started planning a month in advance, and found myself making last-minute changes up until the moment of departure. Things went differently than planned from that moment on.
Two days before departure I decided to give N146YS a thorough preflight and discovered two exhaust risers with slight gas-leaks, so I overnight freighted a set of three new ones from Knisely Welding (Loomis, Ca., 916/652-5891) for my right bank of cyls, (1,3, & 6). I installed them with new spiral-wound gaskets. Their units were an accurate fit, and they were made of high-grade stainless with 1/4" thick flanges, which should stand up against warping better than the originals.
I'd had a slightly rough left mag the prior week (only in cruise, not on runups), and a maintenance shop in Waco suggested that my 350-hour sparkplugs were time for a change, so I also installed a new set of Champion REM40E's, all around.
I installed a radio noise condenser onto my voltage regulator, as recommended by another friend, who has extensive radio/electrical knowledge. I didn't have a radio-reception problem, and no audible noise, but I was told that my Loran would have better reception in rain with a condenser installed. (I've flown my KLN88 in rain before, and never lost a navigable signal, but I decided to go ahead and fix it even if it WASN'T broke!) He recommended installing it on the field terminal of the regulator, which somehow conflicted in my mind, but I became convinced and did it as recommended. (Hey, why solicit expert advice if you're not going to listen, right?)
Cleo and Louise Bickford flew up to Jamie's and my place and spent Thu. night here at the ranch, and we all blasted off mid-morn on Friday for a couple of days in Ruidoso with an early planned fuel stop at Llano, only 20 minutes away, and a later one at SkyWest Airport near Midland. On the way to Llano I checked my mags in-flight and discovered my RIGHT one was slightly rough! I began to question my memory as to which one previously ran rough, and when we stopped in Llano I made a phone call to my favorite mechanic to discover him traveling between airports. We then planned on hopping over to Burnet to intercept him and to get him to look at my mag, when on the next takeoff both my mags ran fine! I decided that when I'd washed down my engine after my exhaust/sparkplug maintenance that I'd gotten water into the mags and they'd subsequently dried out on the short hop to Llano, ...so we just turned west and headed on towards the Midland fuel stop.
Cleo, meanwhile, was suffering from unreliable radio transmissions, so with his handheld as a backup, we turned it into a flight-of-two with me handling the ATC communications as we flew through various airspace. A few minutes later Jamie startled me with "Hey, what's that chemical smell?". I realized the sudden odor was sulphurous, and looked at the voltmeter, which was pegged out at 16+! I pulled the generator circuit breaker, and when we landed an hour later at SkyWest, while Jamie prepared a picnic lunch she'd packed for us all, I pulled the upper cowl and checked the battery. It was fine, so I washed it down, and removed the radio noise condenser previously mentioned and threw it into the trash. I reasoned it had shorted out and provided a straight line-to-ground for the generator field, which had put the gen into full-tilt!
We ate lunch (it was great!) and, having fueled up, cranked and taxied for takeoff. My gen was working correctly, so I took off, and Cleo followed. A nasty crosswind gave Cleo a moment of excitement as it blasted through a set of hangars and challenged him in their wake, but it all worked out and we were off for Ruidoso! With me talking to Midland Approach, and Cleo squawking standby, we got around their Class C and pointed towards Roswell. I then noticed my voltmeter pegged again at 16+, so I pulled the gen breaker (again!) and flew on to Ruidoso on battery power alone.
When we landed at Ruidoso I reset my circuit breaker and the generator was totally dead. After some trouble shooting, grounding the gen field directly to the engine and still no generator, I decided my generator was fried, but it was already past 6PM and too late to do anything on a Friday evening. So we parked the airplanes under the shade-hangars and decided to make the best of it and enjoy Ruidoso!
Saturday was spent touring the area, driving up into Cloudcroft, and seeing the local sights. What a beautiful area. Even in the hottest, driest month of the year for that area, it was wonderfully pleasant, with evening mountain rain-showers to cool the air, and great restaurants to select fine wine and good pasta. Off to bed, for an early start.
Sunday morning, I discovered someone had become curious about my custom tie-down ropes (which are my own design, similar to a Chinese finger-puzzle) and had left my right one loose and improperly secured. Obviously they had experimented with them and didn't quite figure them out. While being refueled, I charged my aircraft battery from the car's system, and after paying, Jamie and I lifted off first with Cleo and Louise following. (My KLN88 did virtually all the navigating on this trip with Cleo following, because the other airplane's radios weren't working correctly.) Three hours later we were "standing on the corner in Winslow, Arizona" buying more fuel and having a GREAT lunch in the airport restaurant. You wouldn't have expected such good food and great service in such a desolate place, but it was truly fine! Cleo had a grilled chicken Caesar salad that looked like it came from Pagi House in Austin! I had the obligatory cheeseburger and Jamie had Enchilada's Verde that were scrumptious! I recommend the airport cafe at Winslow!
It was while refueling at Winslow that I discovered a minor "ding" in my right wing leading edge that I realized was caused by the loosened tie-down at SRR. The TRW's that came thru there had rocked my airplane against the shade-hangar's upright posts, due to the tie-down not being sufficiently tight. Gee thanks, whoever you are. (We'll see how Avemco deals with this, and I'll let you all know.)
Anyway, after eating, it was off to Las Vegas on the final leg. There were dust devils everywhere and the density altitude was 9600 feet! Full of fuel, 120 pounds of "absolutely necessary stuff" in the back and we blasted off into ground effect and rising terrain. (This 7655 cruise prop has got to go.) Making a slight turn away from houses, two miles later we finally gained about 800 feet! We flew over Meteor Crater and photographed the other plane and headed on towards Flagstaff. Forty-five minutes after takeoff we'd finally reached 10,500 (having started at around 5K!) The density altitude there was 14K, and my oil temp was running on 235 degrees F. It never cooled off below 230 after that. My oil pressure was at 55 and my CHT was 350-F, so I just sat there uncomfortable-like, watching battery voltage hover around 11.8 and wondering how difficult it would be to get things fixed in Las Vegas.
Thermals were really a challenge. One moment, while trying to hold 10,500 I'd find myself diving at 120 IAS and still climbing 1200 fpm, not stopping until we saw 11,200', and the next I'd be at 75 IAS with full power, and still sinking thru 9500 and going down at 1000 fpm! It'd take 30 minutes to get the altitude back. I'll tell you, the Great American Desert is a challenge in June for a heavily loaded, standard 170!
Two and a half hours later found us descending into VGT, and as I turned final and was cleared to land, VGT tower advised me that my radio was becoming "scratchy and hard to read". (I didn't have the courage to tell him it was I and not the radio! ) My battery was finally giving out, and showing only 11 volts. (Helpful Hint: If ever you need to do this, pull the breaker/fuse on your T&B/Stall warn if in VFR conditions. No strobes/lights, and no TXDR or unessential equipment, if you can help it.)
We were hot, tired, and glad to be at the destination. All I wanted was a cold Beck's beer and a shower!
Now, I want everyone to know that the North Las Vegas airport personnel are at least as good as the best anywhere! They met each plane, helped tie us down, and gave us all rides to the lobby in air-conditioned vans. They took our registration info, and loaded our luggage and gave us all cold bottled water, while they drove us to the hotel. What a nice, cheerful group. I later found out that they were all Clark County employees, and the FBO was county-owned. It was the best service I've ever experienced in 35 years of corporate and private flying. Bar none! I don't ever want to hear anyone blindly attack gov't employees again.
Cool shower and 3-Beck's later, I could even put up with Buddy McGown at the bar!
We went to the Welcome Party!, and had a great time meeting people we could associate with names, and a good meal later, the bed really felt great. The next morning we took care of our Convention registration and went on the Lake Mead boat tour. It was supposed to include a tour of Boulder Dam (aka Hoover Dam. Note: This was a bone of contention between political factions for years. Prior to becoming President, Hoover was an engineer who played a part in the planning of the Dam. It was to be called Boulder Dam, but Hoover supporters in congress wanted to call it Hoover Dam since the man became President. Rumor has it that FDR refused to call it that, but later Harry Truman called on congress to officially name it Hoover Dam. A local resident was quoted as saying it should be called "Hoogivsa Dam!" : ). A last minute scheduling change involving a dinner party for Dam employees prevented the Dam tour from being available, so a tour of a Dam museum and a chocolate factory was substituted. It was OK, but I have to admit disappointment in not being able to tour the actual Dam.
Tuesday, Jamie and I went on the Death Valley bus tour, and I must say that was one highlight of the week. We really enjoyed it and the lunch at Furnace creek and the historically informative tour. (I threatened to change environmental predictions by filling the rain gauge at the unattended, automatic meteological station from my water-bottle, (heh-heh) but Dale Medendorp was seen to be focusing his camera on the attempt. Sorry folks,... I thought I might end all this talk about global-warming, but,....Dale is to blame. (just kidding).
While on this Death Valley tour a shattering event occurred. I realized I needed to coordinate my generator change. I had ordered an exchange generator (Aerotech, Louisville, Ky, 800/634-0190, $182-exchange, excellent workmanship, friendly, fast, service) to be shipped into a local mx shop (which will remain nameless until I see how they finally deal with the issue), and I needed to talk to them about the repair/replacement. Here I was in the loneliest, most desolate spot on the entire planet, 100 miles from nowhere, 280 feet below sea-level and nothing but alkali and rocks as far as you can see and I needed to make a phone call! So, guess what?
Yep. I whipped out my cell phone and had a FULL signal!! Ahh, yes. Death Valley Days are apparently over! I made my call, the shop said they'd take care of it as soon as the generator arrived, which should be before noon. I should be ready to fly by later today, Tuesday.
I should wash the mechanic's mouth out with Twenty Mule Team Borax for false promises. Wednesday was airport day and in the morning Buddy McGown and I took off on the treasure hunt. It consisted of a 20 minute flight to Jean, NV, to hunt for a medallion using clues. The medallion would be traded for an award at the Awards Dinner on Friday. It's a really good thing that I participated in this treasure hunt. Otherwise I'd have likely waited until Sunday morning to fly N146YS back out over the desert on my way home, ...and I wouldn't have known that I would be blowing oil out the belly at the rate of 6 quarts per hour! That's right!
After only 20 minutes, Buddy and I landed at Jean, and the entire belly and tail wheel were raining fresh oil. The were only5 qts still in the airplane. It was pouring out of the generator area, despite the mx shop assuring me they'd run it and there were no leaks. We got the airplane back to VGT, and the shop examined it and stated that they had "sliced the old gasket" across, below the tach-drive-housing (TDH) and sliced the new gasket identically so as to match up, and then installed the generator. (This gasket is shaped like a large, four-inch circle with a 2-inch triangle on top. The triangle portion resides between the tach-drive housing and the accessory case, and the round portion resides between the generator and the accessory case, immediately below the tach-drive housing. The shop apparently didn’t want to bother removing the tach-drive housing, so they left it in place, simply cutting the existing gasket across, below that housing, and replacing only the circle-shaped generator portion.)
They said that they'd accidentally gotten the two gaskets created by their process slightly overlapping, and that was the cause of the leak, because there wasn't a close enough match-up of the gaskets. I told them there was an oil-return path at that area and that I considered it a "tactical error" to slice that gasket. I told them I didn't think it possible to cut the gasket and not have a leak. They assured me they'd done it many times before (on other engine models apparently), and since they were a Certified Repair Station, I left them to their methods. One of my concerns, besides the actual repair, was that Wednesday was "airport day" for the convention, and that I wanted my airplane on the flight line to be in the judging events. They assured me that they would be able to make the correction quickly and they'd have my airplane cleaned up and on the flight line by early afternoon.
After lunch I went to check on it, and the mechanic and her boss had left for lunch and my airplane was out on the ramp, still dripping oil from the length of the belly. I located two other mechanics (one of whom didn't even work there) and they got spray bottles and rags and wiped my airplane down. (I taxied it to the flight line just in time to be in the judging.)
The next morning, Thursday, Buddy McGown and I decided to go test fly the airplane. Three touch and go's later, the firewall and belly was coated with oil. The shop looked at it again, and decided to redo their work, and they also stated that my left mag had oil in it and was a source of leaks. I authorized them to pull that mag, clean it out, reseal it, and re-install it. I cautioned them to time it properly, and they assured me they'd time it to the "other" mag. I instructed them that the "other" mag had it's own timing setting and to follow the Continental manual (which states the left mag should be set at 28 BTC and the right mag at 26 BTC.) They said they would use a protractor, and further assured me that it was the mag, not the generator/TDH that was the source of the oil. (I’m relatively certain they actually DID use a timing-protractor, because I subsequently found black electrical tape dangling through and exiting the No. 1 prop-blade opening of my spinner, due apparently to their dislodging it from it’s normal task as an interface between the spinner and prop hub.)
On Friday, they called me to say they'd completed the mag work, run the engine, and assured me there were "no leaks." I tried three times to get the shop owner's home phone number, just in case I discovered a problem on Saturday. It took several tries, but eventually he gave me his home phone number.
We went to the hotel, and had a great Awards Dinner with one of the better steaks I've ever eaten away from home. (When I find my notes, I'll post all the results, but I haven't finished unpacking yet.)
On Saturday morning, at 6 AM, I went to the airport and flew the airplane around the pattern twice, and discovered the lower half of the firewall coated with oil. I called the shop owner's home and got an answering machine, and left my cell phone number for him to call. By 10 AM I hadn't heard from him, so I called again and talked to his son who told me that "Dad is at the Temple." He didn't know when he would return. I left my number again with instructions for him to call me ASAP. After noon, I still hadn't heard from him, so I called again and got his wife, who was happy to the point of being "giddy" that she didn't know "a thing about the maintenance business...", didn't know how to contact her husband, and didn't know a single mechanic's name or phone number who worked for them. She did tell me her daughter was the company bookkeeper, who might help me.
I called the daughter and got another answering machine. By 2 o'clock I still hadn't heard from anyone, so I drove to the airport to search for another shop. I found another hangar that was open with maintenance and engine overhauls advertised on the header, and with two men working on a Piper inside. They told me they owned the business, was open normally on Saturdays, and would be happy to help me. I looked over their shop, and it had all the signs of a well-developed engine overhaul business, complete with bench testing equipment and machine tools, with several Continental engines in various stages of assembly. They also had a large parts room.
I talked to the owner, Larry, who informed me that it was he from whom the first shop had been obtaining gaskets for my airplane. I told him they'd cut every one and asked if he could install my generator and tach-drive housing properly with a complete gasket. He assured me that the first shop had taken his last gen/tach gasket but that he could hand-make a new gasket for me and would "do the job right". He said he'd do it right away and would only need a few hours. He washed the engine down and determined the leak was indeed from below the tach drive housing.
I had promised Jamie and other friends a dinner and entertainment on the Las Vegas Strip, and feeling I had finally found a competent shop, I left it in his hands. Later that night, around 5 PM, I received a phone call from the first shop owner, telling me he was returning my call.
I explained that I'd given up on him getting back to me, and as I had to depart early the next morning (Sunday), that I'd given the job to another shop, and told him the name of the shop. He said he would call them to see what they found. A few minutes later he called me back and confirmed they'd found the leak at the tach-drive housing and said he'd instructed them to go ahead and fix it, and to bill him directly. He said, "I guess you're pretty mad at me." I told him I was disappointed in his shop's work, especially after I'd instructed him to quit cutting that gasket and to remove the tach-drive housing and replace the gasket in it's entirety. I told him I felt that done properly, the job was a two-hour job, that I could have performed myself, and that I thought the 5-hours he'd charged me was excessive. I told him I also thought the 4.5 hours he'd charged to remove, reseal, and reinstall the left mag was also excessive, that I felt that was also about a two-hour job.
He defended his billing saying they'd "done a lot more things while they were in there." I didn't mention that if he'd done "a lot" more that it was unauthorized,….and undocumented...and un-logged. I just remained silent. I told him I DID appreciate his doing the "honorable" thing and telling the other shop to bill him directly. As if an afterthought, he mentioned that when I got home I might want to have my other mag also resealed,...he thought maybe it might be leaking oil also. He didn't think it'd be a problem though. :(
I didn't respond other than to say "OK". We ended the conversation politely. (I can't imagine a reputable shop, working on one oily mag, noticing the other possibly also leaking, making 4.5 hours labor plus parts each in the deal, not immediately calling the customer to obtain authorization make the other repair also. I'm amazed he'd sign off the airplane as airworthy, knowing I'm about to place myself and my loved ones in this airplane and head out over the Grand Canyon, Lake Mead, and the desert.)

Later, the second shop owner, Larry, called me and stated they'd competed the work, run up the engine thoroughly, and found no leaks. "How do you plan to pay us for it?"
I told him that the first shop had informed me they'd talked to his shop and assured me they'd pay his charges. Larry said, "He must have talked to my son. Ok, then." He then told me he'd found my tach-drive cable knurled-nut (which holds the cable to the drive housing) cracked into "several pieces", but that he'd managed to use a clamp to hold it together. "It will be OK, and will get you home all-right. You won't have any trouble, but you should replace it when you get home." He said they'd placed the airplane out on the ramp and tied it down. I thanked him, and we said "goodbye".
Sunday, 6 AM, I flew the airplane, found only a drop of oil on the firewall, couldn't see anything obviously wrong, and went back to the hotel to gather my wife and friends for the journey back home.
We fueled up at VGT (the last 80 Octane I've seen since 1976! But it cost 30-cents more per gallon than 100LL), and headed out, southeast-bound. Nearing Winslow, Az 2-hours later we could barely see the airport due to the intense smoke from the Show Low, Az fires. The wind was from the south, and fire-bombers were using the airport. Three old Navy P2's, one P3 Orion, and one DC-4 were loading up with red-retardant and journeying down south to unload them on the fires. We landed in the smoke and fueled up. The cafe was closed, so we prepared to depart. As Jamie got into N146YS she asked, "What's this?"
Down in the shady-darkness of the floorboards, on the co-pilot's rudder-pedal scuff-plates, was about 4 or 5 tablespoons of OIL! It was dripping from behind the instrument panel.
I immediately expected to find the 1/8" copper oil-pressure line ruptured that leads oil pressure to the gauge, but when I wiped up the oil (at least it missed the carpet!) and crawled under the panel, I found the oil coming from the upper-end of the tach-drive cable! Oil was coming into the cockpit thru the speedometer-type cable that drives the tach. This could only mean that the tach-drive housing seal had either not been replaced, or was damaged or missing. I called Larry. I asked him if perhaps he'd forgotten to replace that seal? He stated that he'd not replaced it, that the old one "looked fine" so he'd reused it. (!) I told him that now I was stranded in Winslow, no mechanics, no parts, and an oil leak on Sunday. Thank you. (I'm not sure he caught the sarcasm in my voice.)
We spent an unplanned night in a bad cheap motel in Winslow. (Note: If ever in Winslow, avoid the "Days Inn". And unless you like the sensation of having your tongue ripped out with pliers, you do NOT want any of the local red-sauce on your enchiladas. The green sauce however, is good.)
The hotel swimming pool has water warmer than the 104-degree atmosphere, and you may NOT drink anything including water, near the pool, even if it's in a styrofoam cup. (Lots of other hotel rules that make life easier for the hotel. Forget the customer.) The local supermarket (Barfa's?) at least had some cold Beck's. I survived. Barely.
Next morning, we arrived at the Winslow airport with 2 miles in smoke. Our clothes smelled of smoke. It was like everyone within two miles was burning leaves in their yards. The FAA had set up a temporary tower on 122.8 to assist the fire bombers. I had my airplane in the hangar, and using an old inner tube and some safety wire, I removed my tach-drive cable from the housing and wrapped the TDH with the inner tube and wrap-tied it in place with the safety wire. I tie-wrapped the drive cable safely to the side. Cleo informed me his generator had quit. (!)
I called Cutter Aviation in ABQ and determined they had the tach-drive seal, and tach/gen gaskets in stock. They also had magneto oil-seals and gaskets. As soon as the wind shifted and we had 3 miles, we lifted off 5 mins apart for ABQ. Although officially VFR, it was really flight by instruments. No horizon most of the way. You could only see the ground down below. The tops were above the capability of the 170's in the desert heat. Two hours later we landed in 5 miles of smoke at ABQ,...in reverse order than that which we'd departed. The lead airplane had gotten disoriented in the smoke when it's DG took a vacation. Cleo had radioed me with his handheld needing the frequency of the public broadcast station in ABQ. I had a hard time flying on the gauges and looking it up on the sectional, but Jamie held the chart while I located the info. Cleo was using the old-airline-captain's trick of using the ADF for a combination DG and heading bug. It got him back on course. (Old dogs can use old tricks successfully it seems.) Anyway, that explains how I took off 5 mins behind him, and landed 10 minutes in front of him. I'll bet that was a tense situation in the smoke. Cleo gives credit to Louise, for being a great instrument stick. When he got disoriented, he simply assigned her the task of flying until he recovered.... That's what you call true Cockpit Resource Management!
A respite in ABQ at the restaurant, and collecting our needed parts, we headed back out for Ruidoso. It was another ground-hugging takeoff and ABQ controllers weren't particularly impressive, I didn't think. They don't respond to radio calls in a timely fashion, they don't think small airplanes deserve their turn, and they held us on the takeoff position until our oil temps were over 200-degrees before they released us. Within 10 minutes of takeoff my oil temp was on the redline (maybe even a skosh over) at 240-degrees! Lowering the nose only caused a loss of altitude and I was struggling to get out of 7500! Cleo was experiencing similar conditions.
Finally, at 8500', we were able to turn the mountainous corner and proceed towards Corona VOR, make the turn south around the White Sands missile Restricted area, and head in to Ruidoso. After an hour and a half, we were there. My dear friend Jeff Clark had loaned us his Condo and car, and his Explorer was waiting for us at SRR. Man! It felt like home!
A nice meal, a nice cool drink, a shower, and some zzzzzzzzzz's.
Next day, Tuesday, was spent scouting around Lincoln, NM, Capitan, and the local area. Bought an antique or two, some gifts, and then another great restaurant, and then off to bed. If you've never been to Ruidoso, let me strongly recommend it! It will truly re-charge your batteries. Thank you Jeff and Sharon!
Wednesday morning, we lifted off Ruidoso and headed for our Central Texas ranch strip. We had planned a fuel stop near San Angelo, and Cleo and Louise intended to continue on to their home at Dry Creek (NW Houston). But while circumnavigating Midland, Cleo radioed that his window latch had broken and his window had flown open. I asked my KLN88 for the nearest airport and it showed Big Spring only 11 miles ahead, so we landed there, and safetied his window shut. Hungry, we found the local BBQ/Catfish parlor and filled up and finished it with homemade ice cream, compliments of the cafe. Did a little antique shopping and then back to the airport to view the Hangar 25 Museum at the old Webb AFB, which is now the municipal airport.
Taxiing back out through the prairie-dogs that populate the airport, we made another flat, high-density takeoff that was just further proof that the earth's surface is curved! Dodging thru the windmill generators and the radio towers toward home, we arrived at the ranch around 5 PM. Tired, hot and hungry.
Cleo and I went into the local township (Marble Falls) and bought steaks, potatoes and salad stuff (and cold Beck's) and charcoaled steaks and watched the white-tailed deer off my back porch until the sun went down. We replaced his voltage regulator in my hangar, and the run up proved his generator was back online. Yeaa!
Scattered showers prevented their early departure, but they got off in the afternoon and had a safe trip home to Dry Creek.
By Friday, my tach drive cable had arrived from Aircraft Spruce, so my local mechanic and I pulled my generator and tach housing back off, cleaned up the surfaces, replaced the housing seal, tach/gen gasket, and tach cable, removed the right mag, cleaned and resealed it (not much in the way of oil in there though') and reinstalled it. (Note: The reason the tach/gen gasket shouldn't ever be cut or modified is that the tach drive spindle has an oil-return hole just beneath it which opens into the gasket. Even though that gasket is flat, it covers a small depression below that spindle that provides a return-path, a groove if-you-will, which lets that oil drain back down to the lower accessory case just above the generator contact area. The gasket MUST remain intact, or that drain-groove will send all that oil overboard. Also, anytime you remove a gar-loc type oil seal from its installed position, make certain you REPLACE it with a new seal. They're too inexpensive to take a chance with, and too much potential for trouble exists to skip properly replacing it. I strongly suspect that my tach-drive cable knurled nut was not simply found to be cracked. It was in 4 pieces when I saw it. I suspect that either the first shop tried to stop a leak at the tach housing by tightening this nut with pliers and cracked it, or more likely, the second shop, having re-installed the tach housing with it's old seal, and finding that it leaked, didn't want to go back through the trouble of disassembly again, hand-making a gasket again, etc, etc, and they tightened that nut in a vain attempt to stop oil from coming out the housing at the cable. I suspect they just didn't want to admit their error to me, but also didn't want it on their conscience that they'd broken the cable-nut and clamped it with hose clamps, so they mentioned it to me as if they'd "discovered" it.) Everything is just fine, now that my mechanic and myself did the job correctly.
Now I'm in my second day of disassembling my instrument panel, pulling all the Circuit breakers, controls, etc, to clean the oil out from behind the transparent placard overlays, wipe down all the backs of the instruments that got soaked with oil, and trying to bring my airplane back towards the quality-level I started out with. It's already cost me almost 14 hours additional work. The amount of wasted time on my convention vacation out at those "maintenance" shops, the frustration of the incompetence and improper techniques of those shops (WHERE did they ever get the approved data to cut a gasket that was designed and PMA'd to be manufactured just exactly like it was? Which manual instructed them it was OK to do that, or was OK to reassemble accessories, reusing failed parts?) It was all pretty aggravating.
But even so, the good friends I made, and the contacts Jamie and I enjoyed at the Int'l Cessna 170 Convention were not to be out-classed. If you're not a TIC170A member, you should join up with this class-act group. (Go to the home-page of this website to join.) If you've never made a convention, you'd better start planning to make the 35th in Wilmington. I expect it to be a fantastic event, and I'm NOT going to miss it!
Last edited by GAHorn on Sun Feb 25, 2007 7:47 am, edited 2 times in total.
planepilot1

170 Convention Trip

Post by planepilot1 »

Sooooo you had a really "interesting" return flight from Las Vegas!!!!! After reading your account of the trip, I don't feel so bad about how long it took to get up to altitude from Winslow on the Sat am following the convention. I think it took nearly an hour to get up to 11,500 going south so we could avoid the smoke. I ran the HECK out of 888A to climb out each time with full fuel, hot temps and no telling how much "totally necessary" stuff! There will be a weight reduction program instituted on such items before Wilmington! In past years we have shipped a box of things both to and from the convention and it works a lot better if it becomes necessary to have all that stuff. Fortunately I never saw my oil temp go over 220, but I ran her at 2600 rpm for a bunch of hours. Discovered that I only used 1.5 qts of oil in 23 hrs of flight. Almost wonder if it used "enough" ? We along with Benedicts also experienced the up 1500 ft per minute/down 1500 ft per minute on our leg into Sedona. Fun isn't it!!!!!!!! Are you going to be ready to do this again in 2004?
George, I'm sure you and your mechanic checked this, but hopefully in your cleanup you checked your tach for oil. I had a tach (almost new) start acting crazy---would be OK for a while, then the dial would go past 3500 rpm indicated and stick on the back side of "0". After 2 or 3 of these I finally discovered my tach drive seal had failed allowing oil into the tach. Sent it to a shop and finally was told it was beyond repair. It now sits on a shelf beside my $725 oil pump gear I had to replace at overhaul. I totally agree that when it is required to go into something like a tach drive or mag, etc it is money well spent to replace gaskets/seals with new ones. Hope you have better luck with your tach.
Maybe Cleo has a hex on generators!!!! Ask him sometime about his trip back from Kalispell, MT.

Later,

Frank N6888A
Frank Stephenson
flyguy

REF: GEORGE- CHAPTER FIVE VERSE 27, I THINK!

Post by flyguy »

WOW!!!!! I thought I had wandered into a literature class on-line! 17 PAGES!!! :wink:

Geo, reading the details of your flights over the great western deserts and mountains sure brought back memories. Our first trip (of more than a dozen) to the great southwest in our 170 was into Durango for one of Tom O'Connel's fly-ins in the early '70's.

The 1500' up at 1000fpm then 1500' back down is a typical mountain wave condition that little planes get to deal with while flying east of the Rockies. Best technique is just to keep airspeed constant and let her roller-coaster.

We took off at Grants, NM one morning with full fuel and near gross. I was really sweating the ability to climb out of that little valley before encountering the terrain! Another time at Flagstaff I had to abort a take-off attempt and leave one pax for a return trip. Oh for a hunnert more horsepower!

When you guys were at Winslow, AZ you were just about 30 miles south of Grand Falls where my dad and mom lived. There is alittle dirt strip at Leupp, AZ where we used to have to shoo the donkeys and cows off before landing!

My Great Aunt and Uncle opened a little cafe at Cloud Croft back in the '50s. She sold out in 1975, when she was about 90 years old. There is a little strip east of there that is a real challenge but so beautiful to see. Just had to watch out for the deer and wild turkeys that liked to graze in the early mornings.

We have never landed in Death valley proper but have landed at Heber, CA and that is below sea level! neat to see the alitmiter go past the "0" the wrong way!

Thanks for the memories, George, but it is a Bummer that you had so many mechanical problems. Too bad that lots of mechanics are so lax in doing acceptable work on planes. Many FBOs are not able to do it all so they hire wrench turners and then sign off work without actually inspecting every detail. Can be lethal in some circumstances. I see that the Canadiens are addressing owner maintenence on older planes. Maybe we can get some relief on that in the future???
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Yeah, I actually just rode along with the updrafts and only resisted the downdrafts. But trying to maintain 10,500 was really just a block altitude from 9500 to 11,200. At least it wasn't bone-jarring rough, just wide swings in the IAS/VSI.
I've done my own re-installation of the gen/tach and it's all nice and dry now. I did a minor mod to my tach-drive cable. Where the knurled nut slips around the swaged bell-shaped endfitting, I drilled a 1/8 in. drain hole in the 6 o'clock position of the bell-shaped endfitting. That way if the tach drive oil seal ever lets go again, at least it won't come up into the cockpit with me. I should instead see an oil leak in the cowling that way.
The most irritating thing for me right now is getting all that oil from behind my panel and getting it back sparkling like before. Really a maddening thing. :evil:
lowNslow

Post by lowNslow »

George, if you call this a "great time" I would hate to see what you would call a bad time. Hope everything comes clean. Karl
N1478D

Post by N1478D »

George it is obvious you tried to get another knot out of that old slow airplane of yours by covering it with oil thinking it would slip thru the air faster 8O What is left to the imagination is why you and Jamie were covered in oil in the cockpit :twisted: To imagine a picture of your tie-down system for a 747 taildragger with the secrect service trying to learn how to tie/install it and keeping someone from untying it :o when no one is looking is entertaining :D You have my vote.
Joe
51 C170A
Grand Prairie, TX
JDH

Good help is hard to find

Post by JDH »

I feel your pain George! What an ordeal.
I just got my plane out of a $3,000. annual. Total time before I had to take her back in: 2 hours!! Had the 180 gear installed, changed the main tail spring, etc. The shop suggested changing my crankshaft seal; this one was leaking (probably 2 drops in the last 125 hours). Oh well, since it's in the shop, why not. Well the why not is because now it's leaking like a son of a gun!! Naturally, no replacement seal in stock, gotta get it in from the US, 4 more days down and having to find a way to the shop and get a ride back, twice; cause once installed, it has to cure for 24 hours... The "chief mechanic" did not install it properly: had the slit at 12 o'clock; broke the spring and that is why it was leaking. Billy, the other mechanic called to give me the rest of the bad news when he took out the old seal: There is a mark on the shaft, he is going to try and buff it out with emery cloth but can't garanty it will not leak. Naturally, the shop owner is away on vacation. Gave Billy heck for telling me the spring was broken, etc, Just called now and the dang seal isn't in yet, the courier service is a day late... Less than 150 hours ago, this engine had an $18,000 rebuild by one of the best shops in the North East! Ran like a top. The most frustrating thing of all is that I really look after my plane and love to fly her, but now, again, because of some stupid inconsiderate a-hole, I am grounded!! We go to people who are supposed to be professionals, experts, armed with some knowledge, cause we belong to this club and read all we can about our birds and these morons screw up our planes and we are grounded. Then comes the part where you try to get thme to make it right...
Good luck with the clean up. JD
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Yeah, JDH, you're correct! I didn't mention (in my long-winded story) about their careless workmanship and the paint they scraped off my engine mounts, or the 1/8" copper primer lines (which were previously so neatly routed and coiled) stretched and bent out of shape, or the way they re-installed my electrical wiring in a mis-routed fashion. :evil: (Everything under the "hood" was as pristine as factory-new.) I hate to think about my time and expense of putting it all back like it should be. I'm still not finished a week after getting home. :cry:
N1478D

Post by N1478D »

George & JDH, let's introduce these folks to Texas Law "Thou Shalt Not Damage Any 170" and ship em some Texas Fire Ants :evil: As we hold them on the ant hill, we slowly ask them what they were not thinking about while they did careless activities - can't call it work! And, OOOOPs, did I spill some honey on you, dad gum it, that's probably just going to make your fire ant situation even worse, how careless of us, by golly this knot just doesn't seem to want to come loose - we can hand them a cell phone and leave telling them we are going to go get help and just call if you need something - oh yea, we'll bring back some batteries for that there phone too!
Joe
51 C170A
Grand Prairie, TX
flyguy

RADIDIO INNERFEARENCE AN UTHER STUFF

Post by flyguy »

WHUT TO DO WITH XPURT AD-VISE? KNOW URE EXPURTS! NAX TIME U GIT XCITED UBOUT FIXIN SUMPIN THET AINT BROKE MABEE U'LL FERGIT IT! U PUT ON A UNAUTHERZED PART TO FIX A 'MAYBEE I MIGHT HAVE A PROBLIM IFN I DOANT DO THIS'-- GOTCHA INA BIND HUH? TOO BAD YUH DIN'T GO TO MA BRUTHERS LIL SHOP BY THE JUNK YARD AT ELY, NV. BETCHA HE COULDA FIXED ANYTHING THEM AA AND PEE MUCHANIKS TRIED TU FIX AND DIN'T.

YUH SED YUH HAD TU FIGGER OUT A FREEKUNCY FOR OLE CLEO? IS HE TOO CHEEP TU BY MAPS FER HISSELF? :lol: FUNKY RADIOS, NO MAPS AND CRAPPY GENERATORS TOO. U GUYS SOUN LAK THE KEYSTONE COPS WUZ IN YOUR SQUADRON!

OILY REMOVAL: SUM GUD OLE BENZEEN IN A SPRAY BOTTLE WURKS GUD. SPRAY IT ON - - BLO IT OF WITH THU AIR HOSE BUT DOANT BREETH THE STUFF! AW HEK GO AHED AND BREETH IT IT PROBLY AINT NO WURSE THAN 'BECK'S' FER YUH.

WAL BUDDY EVEN IFN YOURE NOCKED DOWN A PEG ER 2 YER STILL OK BY ME. HOPE YOU DINT GET THE 'OILEST 170' PRIZE! THAT WUZ AN ALWAYS SHUD BE MINE! :twisted:
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

I din't say ennythang 'bout giv'n Cleo a keerect freakwency! Yew must'v herd 'bout that from somewun else! (I promise Cleo! I didn't tell!)
Ha! Talk about the "Flying Laurel and Hardy's"!
I think he was busy flying in the smoke, with a failed DG, and was a leeetle bit busy, and read the frequency wrong on one of the VORs. He radioed me that he couldn't pick up the VOR. (Now, I'd taken off 5 minutes behind him because he had a standard prop and could get to altitude faster, so we figured it'd be safer if I followed, since visibility was so poor.) So,....he radioed me to ask if I was picking up the Winslow VOR. I told him (tongue-in-cheek) "No! I wasn't." Then I let that soak in with him for a while, just knowing that sooner or later he'd remember my airplane only has a KLN-88 (loran) for a Nav radio. Next he asked me if I was receiving the Zuni VOR. I gave him a similar response. After a while I detected that things weren't going too easy for him, and figured maybe this wasn't going to be funny after all if we met up out here in the smoke! So I pulled out my hand-held KX-99 and dialed in both VORs and told him they were BOTH on the air. He said he couldn't get either one, and since he'd had a generator failure, and couldn't get a buddy's Garmin 295 figured out (it kept giving warning messages of some sort, that we later figured out was low-voltage warnings because he had it plugged into the ships cigar lighter, also powered by the failed generator) I decided to ask him if he knew his position. He reported seeing a landmark that I'd already passed by! That's when I realized we were out there either very close to each other, or at least HAD BEEN close to each other! I repeated the VOR frequencies to him and he questioned the freq's I'd given him. That's when I realized that in the busy environment of failed DG, no nav's, hand-flying VFR in bad viz, while trying to read a chart, he had mis-read the frequencies and therefore dialed them in wrong. No wonder he'd gotten disoriented. And that is the reason I took off 5 minutes behind him, but landed 10 minutes in front of him. (Don't say a word, Joe!)
Yep. Orville and Wilbur and Ollie and Laurel. Great aviators all.
N1478D

Post by N1478D »

>>I took off 5 minutes behind him, but landed 10 minutes in front of him. (Don't say a word, Joe!)
Yep. Orville and Wilbur and Ollie and Laurel. Great aviators all.<<

Not sure I could get a word in edgewise :P How many keyboards do you go thru in a year George :?: I bet Frank is thanking his lucky stars you guys didn't run over him while you were doing your circles out there in those failing B models. Running at redline, couldn't climb up to cooler air, airplanes falling apart, giving a lost pilot a hard time. JUST KIDDING GEORGE, very glad you and your airplane made it back. Sounds like you got all of the bad luck out of the way in one trip. I would never use any of this to give you a hard time over, just like you never teased me about my flaps or stuck valve. :D Don't park that oil dripping plane of yours upwind of mine tho, don't want my A model getting any B model drippings on it. :twisted:
Joe
51 C170A
Grand Prairie, TX
Bill Venohr

Post by Bill Venohr »

George--enjoyed reading your story and empathize with your frustrations. Picked up some good pointers, so don't worry about how many keyboards you go through!! :D
Bill Venohr
N4044V
Aurora, CO
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Joe: I read once that God doesn't hand out challenges except to those that can handle them, ...so maybe that's why Cleo and I got those particular ones. :lol:

Bill: Thanks.

An amusing postscript is seeing a photo of my first trip to a convention, sent to me yesterday, taken by Louise when Cleo and I were caught unawares. I hope to include it in a future article, it's so laughable. It has to be seen to be appreciated. It was shot after the landing at Ruidoso following the first, heat-soaked, frustrating day, on the way to the convention. It was taken from behind me, my shirtails out, my hair all blown crazily, and I had my face and arms buried into the cowl trying to troubleshoot my failed generator. Cleo is standing at the front of my airplane with his face lifted to the heavens, his mouth wide open in a statement and his right hand in the air with his index finger raised, as if giving either a lecture or an invocation. (I think he was actually helping diagnose the problem and was saying something like, "One thing it could be is....") But that's not what the caption of this particular photo should be. It should be, "TIC170A Historian Cleo Bickford Baptises New Parts & Mx Coordinator with fire!"
flyguy

PARTING SHOT: FIRE ANT ROUND-UP! AN FAST KEYBORDS

Post by flyguy »

JOE - - I DINT NO U WERE SO MEAN! BUT - - IFN YER REALLY UP TO IT AND WANT SUM EXTRA FAR ANTS WE GOTS A LOT OF EM HERE IN LOOSIANA THAT WE WUD LETCHA HAVE TOO.

GEO, YUH TAKIN THU PLACE OF OLE TOM HALL? NOBODY TOLE US THAT YET! IFN YUH DID - - I PITY PORE OLE TOM'S FORMER CLIENTEEL. THEY WILL HAVE TO GIT TEN TIMES THU PAPER FER THERE PRINTERS CAUSE I THINK YOU GOTS ONE OF THEM "SUPER 5 GIG A HERTS" KEYBORDS AND WILL OVERFLOW THEM WITH SIGNIFICANT AMOUNTS OF WORDS. :lol:

I HEERD THAT IT SAID IN THE BIBLE THAT GOD TAKES CARE OF LIL BABIES AN FOOLS. AINT GONNA SAY NOAMORE BOUT THAT! CEPT IT IS "BAPTIZES" WITH A Z, YA HEATHEN!

BYE FER NOW I GOTTA GO STUDY MA SUNNY SCHOOL LESON.