Axles

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

Bill Rusk

Axles

Post by Bill Rusk »

I have read what I could find on axels and was/am looking for solid axels. White Industries sent me a set of solid axels but they seem to be solid Aluminum rather than steel. Do they make solid axels from Aluminum as well as steel? Everyone says get solid axels, they don't specify aluminum or steel. Help please.

Thanks
Bill
mit

Post by mit »

I have seen hollow alum. solid alum. and hollow steel which are off of 180-185. Just get a set of 185 axles and you are good to go. They are part of the stc. for landes skis and I recomend using NAS bolts.
Tim
n2582d

Solid steel axles

Post by n2582d »

Bill,
The sources I have for steel axles are Williams Aircraft, 915/944-8558, and http://www.supercubs.com/parts.html
Last edited by n2582d on Wed Dec 05, 2007 4:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gary
N3243A

Re: Solid steel axles

Post by N3243A »

n2582d wrote:Bill,
I didn't realize anybody made solid aluminum axles. The sources I have for solid steel axles are Williams Aircraft, 915/944-8558, and http://www.supercubs.com/parts.html
Airframes, Inc. of Big Lake, AK (as referenced in the link above) makes a FAA PMA hollow steel axle replacement part for the 170, 180, 185. It is not solid steel. If you are going to buy new axles for your 170, you might as well buy steel ones. The axles that Airframes makes are very nicely machined and are far cheaper than Cessna steel axles. They are far stronger than the solid aluminum ones and are the best way to go if you use your airplane "off-field" at all.

But I'm sure someone will tell me that Clyde Cessna didn't design and install steel axles for initial 170 type certification as we all know the design is perfect and needs no mods or changes. In fact, they are just a cover up for other mechanical problems and don't belong on the airplane! :twisted:
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Without regard to whether they are aluminum or steel, the solid axles are preferable to the hollow ones. There were two versions of hollow axles, one through-bored and one step-bored. Both hollow axles were made by machining the interior, which left undesireable areas subject to stress where the axles changed thickness. Those hollow axles crack at those stress points. The solid axles, PN 0541124-1, also called the "ski" axle, and used on later 170B's, 172's thru 1969, and even 180's thru serial 180511312, do not have that problem. (Later 180's used a different axle, tho'.) This PN 0541124-1 is the axle I recommend. This axle does require that early gear legs have their lower axle-mount holes enlarged by drilling to accept AN6 bolts. (If you do this, it's easier to do on a drill press. Be sure to slightly chamfer the holes when finished to avoid cracking.)
Trapper

Solid Axels

Post by Trapper »

I have a set of Landis 2500 strait skis with solid axels, which came with the skis.
I didn't think these axels could be used with wheels and I have been changing my axels spring and fall.
Do's anybody know if these solid ski axels can be used with wheels? Would save me some trouble changing twice a year.
Thanks Trapper
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

I don't know about "Landis" axles, but normally, Cessna ski-axles are suitable for wheels as well.
mit

Re: Solid Axels

Post by mit »

Trapper wrote:I have a set of Landis 2500 strait skis with solid axels, which came with the skis.
I didn't think these axels could be used with wheels and I have been changing my axels spring and fall.
Do's anybody know if these solid ski axels can be used with wheels? Would save me some trouble changing twice a year.
Thanks Trapper
Landis says to use solid aluminum axels how ever when ever I install them I use the 185 steel axels. The shoulder that the wheel bearing rides against has to be machined off. Therein is the problem with using the same axel, you need to make up spacers that will duplicate that shoulder, I have seen several that where not very good at all and could have caused problems. I have a drawing that I made up and took to a machine shop to make spacers, I will look for it and send you a copy but it will be awhile I will be out of town for a month or so. Will look when I get back. Of coarse this is on the later model gear legs.
Tim
Roesbery

Post by Roesbery »

A sleeve machined to fit the axel and of the right lengh to create a shoulder for the inner bearing to butt up against. Don't forget to install it before putting the wheels on. Saw a 185 land and ruin a set of gear legs because he didn't realize he needed the sleeves for the bearing and just put on the wheels. Took off on ice and landed on blacktop, had a bit of drag on landing.
Trapper

Solid Axels

Post by Trapper »

Tim, I look forward to seeing your drawings.
Thank You
Trapper
Trapper

Solid Axels

Post by Trapper »

It hasn't been so much the changing of the axels ,as keeping all the axel spacers in order. Also it is hard on bolts changing them twice a year.
This is a great site, I seem to be learning something all the time. and if I have a question it seems to be answered quite quickly.
Thanks to George for all his hard work.and thank you to all the informative people who follow this site.
Trapper
Trapper

Solid Axles

Post by Trapper »

Some time ago one of our members was going to send me a drawing for the bushings required to use wheels on Landis ski axles. It appeares he has not been able to find these drawings. Is there anybody else out there who has a set of drawings and would be willing to share.
Thank you for your time.
Trapper
Roesbery

Post by Roesbery »

The one I have is simply a sleeve that slips snugly over the axel and is of a length to match the shoulder position for the inner bearing ( the shoulder has been machined off ). Provides a shoulder stop for the inner bearing to butt up against. Was that way when I bought the plane in '78' and never had to remove them as I went to wheel skiis and gave the straight skiis to a friend. Never had any problems. Saw a 185 land that forgot to install them after going on wheels, ruined both gear legs where the brake disks cut into them.
Trapper

Bushing on ski axles

Post by Trapper »

Hi Roesbery,
Could you please explain the following "the shoulder has been machined off", what shoulder?
How long was your sleeve? How thick was the material used for your sleeve? Did it go between the bolt heads and the axle?
Would you be so kind as to make a drawing and fax it to me. A picture is worth a thousand words. My fax number is 250 397 2829.
You say you are using wheel skis. Are they hydrolic or wheel penetration
skis? What engine are you using in your 170 aircraft.
Sorry for asking so many questions and thank you for your reply.
Trapper
mit

Re: Solid Axles

Post by mit »

Trapper wrote:Some time ago one of our members was going to send me a drawing for the bushings required to use wheels on Landis ski axles. It appeares he has not been able to find these drawings. Is there anybody else out there who has a set of drawings and would be willing to share.
Thank you for your time.
Trapper
I haven't given up looking for my drawing yet, I just can't figure out what I did with the damn thing. When I find it I will zip it right to you Ken.
Tim