Finewire vs massive electrode

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

hsjrev

Finewire vs massive electrode

Post by hsjrev »

Has anybody been using fine wire sparkplugs in their c145/O300? I'm due for plugs and was wondering if there are any benefits. The local A&P's that I've talked to give me opposing viewpoints. One says they are the best thing since sliced bread and will make the engine run smoother, use less gas, make women dig me, etc. The other says that these engines are better off with massives and the fine wires will foul out and I'll wind up crash landing in the Mississippi River. Champion sure does like them as it takes $50 to get one away from them. 8O
Roesbery

Post by Roesbery »

If your engine is a bit tired, and you have a problem with oil fouling the plugs, putting platinium plugs in the bottom holes will help a lot. Otherwise not worth the expense.
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Fine wire (also called platinum) plugs will outlast massives by about 3-times. They will not "foul" out, in fact that's their strongest point. They are frequently used in oil-burners to avoid fouling. They actually stay cleaner than massives. Many commercial operators use them because they last longer. But I doubt if a private operator will enjoy their longevity benefit. Few of us actually keep an engine from "Zero"-time to TBO, which is for what the fine wires are intended.
Tom Downey

Post by Tom Downey »

I believe that you folks have your terms mixed up. the fine wire plugs are called "Iredium " :arrow: not "platinium"
Tom Downey A&P-IA
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Actually, "Iridium" is Champion's terminology. Platinum is the term used by some other mfrs. Champion claims that Iridium is even longer lasting than platinum. Fine wire is the non-specific name that covers the various alloys in that type. (From the Champion spark plug catalog)
BloomerJohn

Post by BloomerJohn »

Put fine wire plugs in my lower holes to help fouling (Problem was acutually a weak coil that later began failing intermittantly). They sure fire nice under hugh presure in the plug tester/cleaner. (You all do use one to test plugs after cleaning and gapping, don't you?)
John
N3243A

Post by N3243A »

BloomerJohn wrote:Put fine wire plugs in my lower holes to help fouling (Problem was acutually a weak coil that later began failing intermittantly). They sure fire nice under hugh presure in the plug tester/cleaner. (You all do use one to test plugs after cleaning and gapping, don't you?)
John

Yeah, we all have the $900 Champion CT-475 plug testers on our bench. I bought two just in case one breaks when I need it. :twisted: