RIGGING

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

bertibub

RIGGING

Post by bertibub »

HELP!!!
We are rebuilding a 150 C170A ser no19674 prev HB -CAZ now N170 AZ. Rigging the controls and flaps is a problem. The right and left flap fairings do not match and as these are the reference points for the flap which then is used for the ailerons...
The log books state that in an accident in 1955 the left wing was replaced with a second hand one....Are there any other ways of setting the rigging in the plane?? How can one tell that the wings are both from a 170A and not one from a 170B?
:?:
Cheers afrom Scotland
Bert
Bruce Fenstermacher

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

The flaps are totaly different from the A to B model with the B model being bigger like found on a 172 today. How is it that the fairings don't match?
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
GAHorn

Re: RIGGING

Post by GAHorn »

bertibub wrote:HELP!!!
We are rebuilding a 150 C170A ser no19674 prev HB -CAZ now N170 AZ. Rigging the controls and flaps is a problem. The right and left flap fairings do not match and as these are the reference points for the flap which then is used for the ailerons...
The log books state that in an accident in 1955 the left wing was replaced with a second hand one....Are there any other ways of setting the rigging in the plane?? How can one tell that the wings are both from a 170A and not one from a 170B?
:?:
Cheers afrom Scotland
Bert
What do you mean by "fairings do not match"? Do you mean that the wing-root fairing on the fuselage left, is not identical to (mirror image) to that on the right side of the fuselage? Or do you mean they do not match up to the wing root at the flap?
bertibub

Rigging

Post by bertibub »

George both! The fairings look similar but they do not sit the same in terms of height at their outside outboard edge so they then do not allow the flap inboard edge to line up the same on both sides at the same time. We can match one or other up but not both.
Bert
n2582d

wing root fillet

Post by n2582d »

Bert,
How much higher is one side than the other? On my C-170B the trailing edge of the right side fillet is 472 mm above the top of the side fuselage aluminum panel and 468 mm on the left side. In looking at the parts catalog I see that the part number for the fillets is different between the A and the B model so these measurements probably don't correspond on your plane. Maybe someone with an A model could give you this measurement on their plane for comparison to yours.

I would recommend using a digital inclinometer like the "Smart Tool" available from Aircraft Spuce http://www.aircraftspruce.com to rig your controls. Cessna Pilot's Association has a good article on rigging in their Tech Note #14.

What's with the "N" number in Scotland? Where do you find a U.S. I.A. to annual your plane?
Gary
Dr. Dave

Rigging problems

Post by Dr. Dave »

Gary
would it be possable for you to locate and print a copy of the cessna Pilots assoc. article 14 for us??
I am facing some rigging problems and would like that information to add to what i have now..
Thanks..

Dave
n2582d

Rigging info

Post by n2582d »

Dave,
The 16 page "tech note #14" is copyrighted. In addition to the article on rigging I've found CPA has a lot of other useful information as I rebuild my C-170B. Especially informative is their 172 forum where members with older 172s discuss issues related to their O-300. Another forum discusses modifications-- STOL kits, vortex generators, and shoulder harnesses to name a few. Contrary to the opinon of some others on this site I've found joining CPA worth the money. http://www.cessna.org. For other I.A.s out there they have seminars (even one dedicated to rigging Cessnas) which will qualify for your annual renewal.
Gary
bertibub

RIGGING

Post by bertibub »

Gary,Rebuilding a 1950 170A was easier on the US Reg than on the British Reg you don't want to know what the space cadets at the CAA (Campaign Against Aviation ) get up to here. Thge aircraft is held by a US trust with myself being the sole beneficiary. Quite a common setup here. There is one IA and two A&Ps here in Scotland that i know of.
Anyway guys no one has come up with an answer to the original question...Any Help out there?
Bert (presently grounded!)
hallwerks

Rigging

Post by hallwerks »

The flaps may not line up with the root fairings because of the adjustment of the the rear spar cams. Exact alignment is generally not possible The flap are aligned to bottom contour of the wing. The up positions is controlled by the two stop bolts mounted in the rear spar. The flaps may or may not line up with the with the root faings.(see first sentence) The down position is controlled by the flap cable adjustment turnbuckle located at the rear of the baggage compartment. The maximum down position is 50 degrees of travel, be sure to measure and adjust both flaps. Reference the 170A POH, page 40. If you are rebuilding this aircraft I suggest that you do a complete rigging procedure starting wih a symetry check. If you have further questions write me at <wkpt13a@earthlink.net>.
Tom Hall