Insurance Woes

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

David Laseter

Just got insurance for the first time

Post by David Laseter »

Bruce,
I'm leaving Palmer and getting out of here next week (Oct 24) hopefully before the snow fly's. After reading all these Post, I called AIG, told them I needed to insure my Cessna 170B for $40,000. Informed them that I was moving from Alaska to Arkansas and Russellville will be my home base. They asked me how many hours in make and model? I said 279. Total hours - 300. OK, that'll be $916. (how do I drag the happy face over here?) She told me that I had reached the 271 hrs mark. She also said they do not carry policies on Alaskan Planes.
N4387B
4-Shipp

Post by 4-Shipp »

AS a follow up to the original post in this thread, when I arrived in Texas I initially insured with AIG for $38K hull. They were very helpfull and suggested that I send as much info as I could and she would show it to the adjuster. I emailed here half a dozen pics and a list of equipment/mods and associated prices that I had invoices for in the aircraft records. Three days later, I got a call informing they would write the hull coverage for the requested $45K. I sent a check for the difference and all is well now in north Texas.

Bruce
Bruce Shipp
former owners of N49CP, '53 C170B
David Laseter

Post by David Laseter »

Actually I meant to reply to fellow Alaskan, Bruce Christie.
But I grew up a Texan, so I hope you're liking it down there.
Hey you can help me with the new subject I'm fixing to Post,
Goodbye Alaska - Hello Arkansas, or something like that!
Thanks,
Dave
N3243A

Re: Just got insurance for the first time

Post by N3243A »

David Laseter wrote:Bruce,
I'm leaving Palmer and getting out of here next week (Oct 24) hopefully before the snow fly's. After reading all these Post, I called AIG, told them I needed to insure my Cessna 170B for $40,000. Informed them that I was moving from Alaska to Arkansas and Russellville will be my home base. They asked me how many hours in make and model? I said 279. Total hours - 300. OK, that'll be $916. (how do I drag the happy face over here?) She told me that I had reached the 271 hrs mark. She also said they do not carry policies on Alaskan Planes.
N4387B
Hey Dave,

Don't think we have ever met. Sorry to see you leave the Alaska though and especially having to move to Texas (my condolances) :lol: Your pushing the cold weather a bit with this late departure, hope you won't need wing and cowl covers on the way out. The Insurance situation sux up here. The latest issue of Northern Pilot magazine has an editorial on self-insuring, and spending your money on flight training and top notch maintenance instead of paying the extortion premiums. Well worth reading for a different perspective. So tell me some of your favorite strips you go into and we'll swap lies. :wink:

Bruce Christie, N3243A