IS IT A C145-2 OR 0-300A

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

snappernp

IS IT A C145-2 OR 0-300A

Post by snappernp »

I was going thru my log books and notice that back in 1964 the case was changed to a 0-300A. The crank is still the original C145-2 crank(indicated by the .250 hole in the prop flange). The data plate shows the serial number and data for the 0-300A. So what engine do I have? I don't have a 337 for the case change but it was done at an approved FAA repair station. The question I have is do I need a 337 and if I do, how hard would it be to get it approved? Is there anybody else that might have the same set up that would like to share any information that would help me?
Bob
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Hmmmn. According to the TCM C145/O300 Overhaul manual, later crankcases may be intalled on earlier engines. But it also says that the 1/4" drilled hole indicates an undampened crankshaft. The letter "D" in the engine serial number indicates a dampened crankshaft.
So, It may be that if your serial number indicates a dampened crank, ...but you actually have an undampened crank,...then the engine may be an incorrect assembly. It may have been necessary to re-place the data plate (but overlooked) when that crankcase was substituted for an earlier case,....or it may be an error that an incorrect crank was placed in the case. Although it may fit, I don't believe it would be correct.
Sounds like it may be time to contact TCM field rep in your area and determine what they say.
snappernp

Post by snappernp »

I don't have a overhaul manuel but did they make 0-300A engines with undampened cranks? If they did, then I should be able to reflect the engine is a 0-300A in my log books. I will look at they data plate again to see if there is a "D" in the serial number. Thanks for responding.[/list]
Bob
zero.one.victor

Post by zero.one.victor »

I had my C-145 overhauled last year after a connecting rod broke. It was reassembled with a (used) new case. My overhauler ( a certified repair station) logged the overhaul in the same old engine logbook,documenting the use of a replacement case with a different serial number. My IA was a little surprised,but said that it was an acceptable way to do it. Otherwise,if the CRS had started a new logbook, if I sell the plane I would have to explain why the engine logbook only goes back to 2001.
I don't think a 337 is required anymore than if you are replacing a piston,camshaft,or any other engine component.

Eric
JDH

Post by JDH »

I thought one of the differences was the prop mounting flange; one has 6 and one has 8 bolts; no?? JD
N2218B

Post by N2218B »

JD
I believe the 0-300 C&D had the 6 bolt flange. Earlier models were 8 bolt.
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

snappernp wrote:I don't have a overhaul manuel but did they make 0-300A engines with undampened cranks? If they did, then I should be able to reflect the engine is a 0-300A in my log books. I will look at they data plate again to see if there is a "D" in the serial number. Thanks for responding.[/list]
Since the crankshafts were changed to dampened cranks during the C145 production, and prior to the O300 production, I think it is safe to say that no O300A engines were originally produced with undampened crankshafts.
snappernp

Post by snappernp »

I have been talking to the safety guy at the good old FAA office. He has said that all I need to do is call Continental about a new data plate reflecting my original serial number. He said he would be able to help me with this. I received a response from a cerified repair shop that also said the same thing. What the guy who changed the case halves should have done is change the data plate. It is like buying a case from Continental, when you receive it, it doesn't have a data plate on it.
Bob
Tom Downey

Post by Tom Downey »

Usable on codes are given in the front of the Illistrated parts manual, Mine shows
C-125-2 = A
C-145-2 = B
C-145-2H = C
0-300-A = D
0-300-B = E
0-300-C = F
0-300-D = G
Crank Assembles part number from page 10 are as follows
A50303A1 usable on code A
530860 " " " BD
531113 " " " CE
628124 " " " FG
I gather that the crank for the C-145-2 is the same as the 0-300-A, and thus no paper work required, other than listing it as changed at overhaul.
Tom Downey A&P-IA
snappernp

Post by snappernp »

The problem I have is I thought the 145-2 was an undampened crank and the 0-300A has a dampened crank. The crank I have has the .250 in the prop flange. The old serial number was 7605-D-2-2 and the serial number on the tag that is on the airplane is 11272-D6-A. If the "D" indicates a dampened crank, then my engine had a dampened crank in it. Did they make 145-2 dampened and undampened? I am ordering the book so I can make sense out of this. Thanks for the responses.
Bob
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Aha! The plot thickens! PN530860 is a dampened crank, I believe, and that is why it could be installed on either engine. But the 1/4" hole drilled in the subject flange means it's an undampened crank in the subject engine. This is indicative of an undampened crank being installed in an engine which originally had a dampened crank (hence the "D" in the serial number of both the old and the replacement cases.) As I said earlier, 1) I think that the data plate should have been replaced when the case was substituted and 2) I think the incorrect P/N crank has been installed in the engine. The "D" indicates that only a dampened crank should have been installed, is my inclination. TCM should be able to give the definite answer.
In either case, ...which generator/alternator do you have installed?
Tom Downey

Post by Tom Downey »

snappernp wrote:The problem I have is I thought the 145-2 was an undampened crank and the 0-300A has a dampened crank. The crank I have has the .250 in the prop flange. The old serial number was 7605-D-2-2 and the serial number on the tag that is on the airplane is 11272-D6-A. If the "D" indicates a dampened crank, then my engine had a dampened crank in it. Did they make 145-2 dampened and undampened? I am ordering the book so I can make sense out of this. Thanks for the responses.
The crank you have is a very early C-145 crank. It is legal to run it, but the data tag may have been miss marked at overhaul, It should not have a "D" in the serial number. If the overhauller kept the data tag of the replacement cases that may explane the error. They should have used the data tag from your old cases. you then would have a C-145-2
There are some minor casting differences between the C-145 early case and a 0-300-A case but both are usable. THe 0-300 case is a bit stiffer than the early cases and in my humble opinion, better.
Does the overhauller still have your old cases? (data tag) old logs?
If not,
You will be required to make application to Contenintal for a new data tag stamped for what you have and inspected by the local FSDO field rep. to see you are placing the data tag on the wrong engine.
Tom Downey A&P-IA
snappernp

Post by snappernp »

Well you ask what Generator I have and the original equipment list says it is a Generator delco remy 1101876. I would have to look at the Generator tommorrow to see if this is corect. I know it is a generator. I will be pulling the prop off tommorrow anyways to verify the prop flange. I can tell you another story.

I took my airplane to this IA for an annual inspection. He agreed to let me do the maintenance if there is any. I decided to install a transponder with encoder, intercom, new scat, and new baffle seals. He said that the annual inspection will cost me 400 dollars. I have recently moved my plane back to my spot and waited for the bill to be figured. He called me to let me know the bill will be 2800 dollars. I ask him for a maintenance list because I didn't agree for him to do the maintenance. Since I was working along with him, I know what he did. He gave me what amounts to is a parts list that totaled up to 510 dollars(including annual inspection). I ask him again where is all this labor that he put in? Keep in mine that he finished my annual inspection in one day. He also didn't pull the prop, check the wheel bearings, or run the engine since he supposely work on. I am working with the FAA and BBB to solve this problem. The funny thing is he just got done telling me that he needed to come up with 2800 dollars in ten days :P
Bob
N1478D

Post by N1478D »

Bob, this guy really sounds dangerous! The really bad ones make up large bills like that amd then place a lein on your airplane. Some of them end up owning the airplane. Be very careful. It would be very helpful if you have witnesses to what work was done, and approach him with those witnesses to put an end to this.
Joe
51 C170A
Grand Prairie, TX
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

The reason I asked which generator you have is this: The original 12 amp thru the 25 amp gens are OK on an undampened crank,...but a 35 Amp generator requires a dampened crankshaft.