Fuel selector valve

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

gayala

Fuel selector valve

Post by gayala »

I have a 1948 Cessna 170, and on the last annual, I noticed that when the valve is set on off the fuel will continue to drip out at a rate of about a drop a second. We took the valve out and took it a part in an attempt to fix it. After putting it back it was the same. Are there other valves that will work? or has anybody out there found a way to fix it? I was thinking of taking a little bit of material off the bottom of the stem inorder to let the stem go down a little an possible seal better.
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

I'd be cautious about modifying your valve. You're likely to cause permanent damage. It sounds as if your valve was not properly cleaned and resealed, or has parts worn beyond repair. If you don't have the IPC (illustrated parts catalog) for your aircraft, then you should get one, and order the correct replacement parts.
gayala

fuel valve

Post by gayala »

We tried to find a replacement but were unable to find one. Does anybody out there have a source for this part. Cessna did not have one when our A & P called.
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

I hope this doesn't come across too grumpy but,......if you really want people to help you, you've got to buy a parts catalog, and provide part numbers. Asking for help using only a year model is troublesome for someone else to help, because you make THEM buy a parts catalog and look up the part and....you also invite getting wrong information because you haven't provided an aircraft serial number or exact item that you're looking for. I'm only guessing as to what you are really wanting, because I'm only assuming that the part number I'm using is the same one you're wanting ...but here's my guess: Cessna has superceded the part number I THINK you might be looking for (0413020-3) to PN 9851085-1 , and it's very available from them....they have seven (7) in stock. They are pricey, about $480. I believe the earliest and original valves (PN 0511122) were nothing more than Weatherhead (brand) and Spruce offers those for $19.95, their PN 6749.
zero.one.victor

Post by zero.one.victor »

The ragwing had 2 fuel valve configurations. Per my IPC,the early style with floor-mounted selector (s/n 18001-18573) uses a p/n 0511122 valve assembly,utilizing a p/n 0413020-3 valve.
The later style with panel-mounted selector (s/n 18574-on) uses a p/n 0511160 valve assembly,also utilizing a p/n 0413020-3 valve.

Eric
gayala

Fuel valve

Post by gayala »

Thank for the information!