Prop/ski question

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

JDH

Prop/ski question

Post by JDH »

I read the different posts on the larger props, I am still salivating.
Can someone tell me if the larger prop (Borer and such) gives more effectiveness to the rudder on the ground. You see me coming with my big skis? Would it make turns on skis and X-wind taxiing easier? Or are we just talking getting out of smaller places and the rest is samo-samo? Since putting the 180 gear legs and sitting on 800 tires, the ground clearance is incredible while forward visibility is still fantastic; love that bird!
Thanks, JD
AKbushpilot

Skiis and Turn Radius

Post by AKbushpilot »

The prop will not make a lot of difference in your ability to get the tail off the ground. Static propellor thrust should remain the same despite the angle of the blade unless you have a higher horsepower engine with a constant speed prop. The problem with skis is the large turn radius and this varies on the type and construction of the ski. Think of snow skiing and you will make the connection. Another factor is the weight of the tail. A friend of mine can do a complete figure 8 in the diameter of my turn in his J-3 Cub. Flat skis are the worst unless you do not have any runners along the sides or bottom. The length of the runners will determine the "natural" turn radius for those skis. Any turns sharper will transfer the forces to your gear and gearbox. The worst thing you can do is lift the tail and push it around as this causes tremendous forces on the legs. If you have to do this at least push the plane at the same time to allow slip on the snow/ice to disipate the forces. Also make sure you have steel axles if you run skis, those alunimun ones are an accident waiting to happen. Hope this helps.