Windscreen tightness

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

CAS

Windscreen tightness

Post by CAS »

My LAME (Licenced Aircraft Maintenance Engineer [pronounced "lay-me"][don't blame me - that is what they are called down here]) says that my windscreen should be removed and refitted because when you rock the aircraft while it is sitting on the ground the windscreen moves in the frame by up to about 1/2". He says the windscreen is part of the sturctural stiffness and should be tightened up. :?

Is this a true story? It seems like a lot of money/time to spend (about 6 hours work) to remove and replace the windscreen if it is not really required.

It does not leak in the rain apart from one small spot at the bottom/front where it blows little bubbles in moderate rain. :cry:

The windscreen is in pretty good condition although it does have a few stop drilled cracks radiating from a hole drilled in the centre strip to mount the compass but if I have to go to the trouble/expense of removing and refitting the windscreen I maybe should put in a new one.
If so should I get the normal one again or the thicker one? Are there any advantages/disadvantages in getting the tinted version?

Does anyone have any thoughts on this :?:

Thanks

David
Roesbery

Post by Roesbery »

Some years ago, I had the same problem and did have leaking along the top of the windshield; I solved the problem by installing a Attlee Dodge stainless seaplane V brace and a new one piece windshield.
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

David, does your LAME have a windshield replacement business that is running slow?
I suggest you tell him to examine every single-engined Cessna in the country so he can discover that your windshield is NORMAL.
The original windshields in these airplanes are supposed to "float". If the installation instructions are followed, it can be seen that the felt strips stipulated by the Service Manual are incapable of making the windshield rigid. (And besides, if made perfectly rigid by the use of screws and/or hardened sealants, the windshield will crack and fracture.)
The so-called "one-peice" windshields use a strip along the top to secure them from departing the aircraft, usually with additional screws, but otherwise are installed as all the rest. Even those should all "float" along the sides and bottom.
You might consider encouraging him to go get some education and/or experience with Cessna's or find another person to do your aircraft repairs.