Nifty Gadgets ( Things That Work )

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

N1478D

Nifty Gadgets ( Things That Work )

Post by N1478D »

A wonderful suggestion was made at our last, eh location, about the PrincetonTec Headlamp. Went to REI and the department manager said he had a new, better, and cheaper light that he can barely keep in stock. It is the Aurora Headlamp. Features single button operation, L.E.D. light source, five user selectable operating modes, lightweight, and waterproof. Three power levels and two flashing modes. It adjusts to many different angles, great for camping or an emergency light in the cockpit, or I could even imagine it being used in George's favorite activity :twisted:
Another new product is the PrincetonTec Pulsar. This is a red lens light weighing 7 grams with batteries. I have it hanging from my headliner zipper which is just behind the front seats. From that distance it lights up the panel. It has a squeeze on and a on/off switch. It was about $11.
George's WalMart Rechargeable Auto Light that plugs into a cigarette lighter is another handy light source, also indicates if master is on. It is offered under different manufacture names, currently BELL.
Last edited by N1478D on Thu May 02, 2002 12:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Joe
51 C170A
Grand Prairie, TX
N1478D

Post by N1478D »

Another nifty gadget is The Headset Keeper from Sportys for $8.50. It keeps your cord securely wraped and cleans corrosion from the plugs. It is item #7379A.
Joe
51 C170A
Grand Prairie, TX
N1478D

Post by N1478D »

Found some of the Light Products mentioned had better prices at Gaylan's Sports & Outdoor Adventure.
Joe
51 C170A
Grand Prairie, TX
N1277D

Nifty Gadgets & Turbulence

Post by N1277D »

One nifty gadet is a turbulence meter that can be made easly. A pedometer works well for this application, just velco it to the panel and you can count the miles away on those rough afternoon days. Its a interesting gadet for rough strips and mountain flying.
bward

Autopilot Called George

Post by bward »

When autopilots first became available, there happened to be a saying, "Let George do it", which was part of a wartime poster that said, basically, that you couldn't do that- you had to do it yourself, or no one would do it. The "Let George do it" attitude was something to be stamped out during the WWII war years, you see...The autopilot was the only "George", or "the other guy", that you could legitimately delegate to. Thus, using the autopilot became "letting George do it".
(No mention if letting George fly caused slower ETA times)

For more dubious history see:
(also addresses fuel and the infamous Johnson Bar)
http://www.whittsflying.com/Page5History.htm#TJB

Bryan
N1478D

California Dust Mop

Post by N1478D »

Because of it's name, I never would have bought and tried a California Dust Mop - sounds like a gimick. But it works GREAT! I have had both the bigger one for the outside of the plane, and the small one for the panel for a few years now. When I asked a hangar neighbor how he kept his plane looking so nice, he pulled out his mop. They really work well to knock the dust off in between washings. I bought mine at WalMart, but have seen them at auto parts stores also.
Joe
51 C170A
Grand Prairie, TX
N1478D

Post by N1478D »

DUCT TAPE - it saved the day this weekend when the support poles broke on my tent. A partial roll is going in to my tool bag that stays in the airplane :idea:
Joe
51 C170A
Grand Prairie, TX
Bill Rusk

The toolbox

Post by Bill Rusk »

You really only need two things in your toolbox. Duct tape and WD-40.

" If it moves and it's not supposed to ... use duct tape,
If it's supposed to move and it dosen't...use WD-40"

Life is very simple

Bill