Goodbye Canda, Hello Texas

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

4-Shipp

Goodbye Canda, Hello Texas

Post by 4-Shipp »

Hey Joe, this is my last post from the Great White North as I unplug the old PC as soon as I am done. The next post will be from Wichita Falls (officially, we will be living in Burkburnett - does that get any more respect than WF???) We will arrive Sunday evening and hope to have the 170 in town within 2 weeks. Keep me posted on the next Texas get-together. Can't wait to meet the gang. See ya.

Bruce
Bruce Shipp
former owners of N49CP, '53 C170B
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Burkburnett......Wow! What a memory.
It was 1974 and I was a "First Officer" for Rio Airways based at Killeen/Ft.Hood, Texas flying Beech 99's. One of the Captains was a guy named Tom White who was a great guy but a wild-man in the cockpit. (He terrified co-pilots and intimidated them into submission. One of his favorite intimidation tricks was to taxi so fast the airspeed indicator would read "60" kts just so the co-pilot wouldn't have time to to the Wt/Bal and required Cabin Announcement, and he would take the runway with the co-pilot still trying to buckle his seatbelt.) Most of them were young and easily bluffed. Unbeknownst to most of the guys on the co-pilot seniority list, Tom was terrified of TRW's beyond anyone's wildest imagination! Brick Gilliland (who I think now probably has a very senior number at Delta) was his FO one day, and they left SPS for DFW. A TRW was in the area and Tom panicked and landed on a dirt strip at Burkburnett. The strip was too small, and on the turn-around ran off the edge into the red mud created by the downpour. All the passengers were enlisted to get out and push on the airplane to get it out of the mud, and then they all sat in the airplane waiting for the rain to stop.
When the shower stopped, they took off for DFW, and arrived without further a-do.
As a First-officer of this family-owned joke of an airline (Ironically, the word "RIO" in Spanish means either River, ...or :joke or :laugh) I was certain both crewmembers would be castigated and fired. But neither happened. The company didn't want to have to spend money to train another captain, and it wasn't Brick's fault,...he was just one of the victims. Anyway, before long Tom decided to quit flying and went to work for his wife's Daddy selling tires at the dealership in Wichita Falls.
(It was months before Tom finally asked me how I was the only co-pilot who always had the Wt/Bal completed before takeoff, and therefore always had time to make the cabin announcement, which meant I was always ready for the takeoff roll. I let him spend a couple of weeks trying to beat me to the runway before he finally gave up, broke down and asked how I did it. I showed him my clipboard which had multiple copies of every conceivable combination of passenger seating arrangement and baggage compartment load already computed, so that all I had to do was select the one which matched our current passenger list and fill in the date and flight number. ( I had already heard about this guy before I ever flew with him and prepared in advance.)
He laughed, and let me fly every leg we ever flew again together!
Man,... What a memory you just provoked by simply mentioning the name of a town ...long forgotten...
N1478D

Post by N1478D »

Bruce That's Great,

Will you be here the 13th & 14th? Another North Texas member and myself are tentatively planning on flying to a campout flyin in north central Arkansas that weekend. We are also hoping to take in Gastons while we are in that area, it is a great place with a 3000' smooth as silk grass strip on the Buffalo River with a glass restaurant built out over the water. If that does not work out there is a 170 flyin south of Austin that weekend. Also, the end of next month is one you will not want to miss. The Recklaw fllyin had 355 planes last year. It is more fun than words can describe, you will love it. On the 21st there is a flyin at Sulpher Springs this month. What day do you plan on having your plane here?
Joe
51 C170A
Grand Prairie, TX
wa4jr

Post by wa4jr »

You guys down there in Texas sure like teasing the rest of us with news of all the fun fly-ins down there don't you :x Seems nobody does anything here in the Mid Atlantic region :cry: Surely I do not have the only airworthy C-170 in the Mid Atlantic states :roll: Anybody on the east coast feel up to having fly-ins like the Texas boys do :?: We CAN'T let them have ALL the fun :wink:
John, 2734C in Summit Point, WV
JDH

Post by JDH »

John, this may be a bit North for you, but coming up this weekend, the Aeroclub of New England (ACONE) is having their fly-in at Basin Harbor; Vergennes (B06) (26 miles south of Burlingtonn VT). Last year, I counted 5 - 170's, but you'll see 195's and Waco's and a whole lot more Antique and Classic planes, cars and boats. If you can spend the weekend, get a room at the Resort. Dining is fabulous at the resort restaurant or the Red Mill. Golf, tennis, rent a boat, etc... JD
N1478D

Post by N1478D »

Made a mistake - it's the White River, not the Buffalo River. We will probably be there Saturday at Gastons, starting out at the Holly Mountain Flyin and Antique Car show near Clinton Arkansas.

There is a terrific seaplane flyin coming up at Cedar Mills. Last year it was the first flyin after the ban was lifted on flying after 9/11 and did planes and people ever show up in droves and herds, it was really fun. I've been to several in a row and some great seaplanes come in. Of course calling it a great seaplane flyin is relative to it being in North Texas vs what I am sure are REALLY great seaplane flyins up north. Cedar Mills has a nice grass strip where you land to the west coming in over Lake Texoma with a large tree that looks like it is in the center of the runway the first time you land there. The runway goes all the way to the waters edge so it is fun landing and taking off. Don't have my EAA mag with me here to give the date, but if you are interested let me know and I'll post it.
Joe
51 C170A
Grand Prairie, TX
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Joe-"We will probably be there Saturday..."
It will probably be over before Joe gets there, if his past performance means anything. :lol:
N1478D

Post by N1478D »

:D Ha Ha Ha! Come on up to Gastons George, the White River would be a perfect place for you to tell some of those flyin stories of yours! :D ( You're kind of slow - white lies - get it George)Ha. Got the flyer from Dave about the Flying M Flyin at Recklaw, curious how close to midnight this year you plan on arriving :?: And, have you been able to borrow even a smaller tent for you and your wife this year, that was pretty clever to have such a small tent last year for the two of you. Never before saw feet AND heads sticking out of a tent. :D Are you still working on your idea of changing the airfoil shape of your steps hoping to improve the climb performance of your old B model :?:
Joe
51 C170A
Grand Prairie, TX
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

ACtually the airfoil shape-changeover is getting kinda complicated. I never realized how much hydraulic pressure was required to get speed-brakes to extend. :wink: And no problem about the tent. This year instead of those cheesy airmattresses you carry, Jamie and I are planning on bringing a water-bed. :lol:
Seriously, I'm a little worried about making it this year, because it's an election year. As you may recall, my primary client is a candidate for Lt. Gov., and as Reklaw is the weekend just before election day, Nov 5 ,I'm afraid I might get caught up in the last minute campaigning.
N1478D

Post by N1478D »

wa4jr wrote:You guys down there in Texas sure like teasing the rest of us with news of all the fun fly-ins down there don't you :x Seems nobody does anything here in the Mid Atlantic region :cry: Surely I do not have the only airworthy C-170 in the Mid Atlantic states :roll: Anybody on the east coast feel up to having fly-ins like the Texas boys do :?: We CAN'T let them have ALL the fun :wink:
We don't really ever talk about the REALLY good ones for reasons to protect the guilty. 8) There's plenty of room down here, if folks up there don't start flying their birds, move on down here and enjoy and add to the fun. :)
Joe
51 C170A
Grand Prairie, TX
flyguy

REELY GOODUNS

Post by flyguy »

JOE I HAVE TU SIDE WITH OLE GAYHORN. YOU AINT BIN TU THE REELY GOOD OLE BIG UN OR THE REELY BIG OLE GOODUN YET. THATS AT THE LOOSIANY MUDBUG BOIL, FISH AN TURKY FRY. YU BETTER GIT TU CRAKIN ER WE'LL JES THINK YER ALL TALK AND NO ACTION. :twisted:
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

GAR,...
He IZZ all talk and no akshun!!! :lol:
N1478D

Post by N1478D »

Well BOYS, while you two have been sitting around talking with each other about my lack of action, this is where we flew the last two days.

First we met up at O'Briens for great fuel price, then over to Lancaster for a GREAT saturday morning breakfast. Then on to Booneville, AR for fuel and hangar flying with a RotorWay Exec pilot/owner. Then to Clinton while the airshow had the runway closed at Holley Mountain. Got to go inside a radial engine rebuilders shop there. Then to Holley Mountain and we had really good funnel cakes. Then we flew to Mount Petit Jean that has a flyin campground and spent the night and enjoyed the thunderstorm that night, lots of nice cool sleeping air. Then over to Clarksville to use the airport car to go get ice. Then we flew to Ozark, Dad came out to the airport and picked us up so we could go and enjoy Mom's home cooking with Strawberry Shortcake/Ice Cream for desert. Then back to Booneville for fuel and on back here to DFW. The two planes played with boats and barges on the Arkansas River and other kindly deeds the last two days.

So, where did the two of you go flying to this weekend Gary and George?
Joe
51 C170A
Grand Prairie, TX
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Joe-"So, where did the two of you go flying to this weekend Gary and George?"
I flew to College Station/Bryan, and Houston and back to Austin on Saturday, then today to Dallas, then ran the TRW gauntlet to McAllen, then back to Austin late tonight. (Did some research in McCreery Aviation's archives regarding the early certification flight tests of the original 170 design). Friday I was in Ft. Worth. Thursday in San Antonio. (You need any more?) :lol:
flyguy

YEAH -- BUT

Post by flyguy »

BUS DRIVIN DOANT REELY COUNT GAYHORN. EENY WAY WHATCHA DOIN IN A TIRE SHOP TRYIN TO FIND OUT BOUT PLANES?

FINE OUT BOUT THIS. WHAT IS A NAS228-12? 8)