Grimes Rotating Beacon

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

Kyle

Grimes Rotating Beacon

Post by Kyle »

Goood Evening Everyone,

Yes, like many of you, my old Grimes rotating beacon is giving up. Model # D-7080A. We received a price today on a rebuild for $ 605.00!! Oh my @*#*$ ... that's nuts.

I know many of you have discussed before and some have converted to strobes. Does anyone have a source for grimes stuff or perhaps one one their shelf they are willing to part with ????

Not sure I want to give my aircraft the benifit of less current draw and additional visibility just yet. Yes I know that defies logic ...... but I love that look of an operating aircraft beacon.

Thanks \

Kyle T.
Kyle Takakjian
Truro, MA
52 C-170B, N8087A
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Kyle, I have been looking high and low for a motor for your beacon and, as you have discovered, it's virtually impossible to find one reasonably priced. The drive motors are what quit on these things and that is the expensive part, of course. (While not an approved repair, ... more than one has had it's motor replaced with a simple automotive turn flasher unit.)
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
N8293A

Post by N8293A »

Kyle,
I'm with you on this one Kyle. One of the many little things I love about my airplane is that rotating beacon. It is just right for the airframe and the era they were built. I hope that old motor keeps on turning, because it would break my heart to have to replace it with a strobe. I would really miss that grinding noise when I turn on my master. It is also a great reminder when shutting down to turn OFF the master.

Good luck with repairing yours.
Steve
trake

Post by trake »

Beacons werent standard equipment. Most of them probably wernt installed until the early 70s when anti collision lights became required. I had mine removed at the last annual as I have wing tip and tail strobes. I forgot to tell the shop to save the parts :cry:
Tracy Ake
1955 cessna 170b
sn26936
N2993D
MoonlightVFR

Grimes Electric Motor

Post by MoonlightVFR »

Is it possible to locate a shop that repairs old antique electric fans and have them rebuild a grimes motor?

I would like to retain the look and feel orf original installatio.

regards
gradyb, '54 B N2890C
Bruce Fenstermacher

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

Any thing is possible but it's probably more than the motor. There are gears and bearings in there and they are probably shot.

Many years ago my Cherokee rotating beacon would stop. I acquired about 5 different beacon carcases from the Army trash. There was no two alike so swapping parts was out for nearly all the parts. I never got any of the six I had to work as hard as I tried.

Good luck getting it fixed.
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
rupertjl

Post by rupertjl »

Kyle,
I sent you a PM, check it out and if interested get back to me.

v/r,
Jud
thammer

Post by thammer »

I've got a complete D-7080A in a 140 tail section. I don't know if it works or not yet, looks to be in decent shape. I'll see about removing and testing it.
bsdunek

Post by bsdunek »

Other than old stock, it looks like Grimes stuff is a thing of the past. Sad! My Grimes wingtip strobs that Dad installed back in 1976 finally gave up the Ghost - at least the left power supply. Looked high and low and couldn't find one. I finally bought a new set of Aeroflash strobes.

Grimes, after being bought out, has ended up as part of Honeywell, their Lighting and Electronics division. It seems that they no longer make any parts for our little airplanes, so we're out of luck.

Rebuilding your beacon with what ever you can find seems to be the only solution. 8)
Bruce
1950 170A N5559C
blueldr

Post by blueldr »

MoonlightVFR----

If you really like the look of originality, remove the beacon .

They were not originally installed on the C-170s.
BL
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

blueldr wrote:MoonlightVFR----

If you really like the look of originality, remove the beacon .

They were not originally installed on the C-170s.
Yep. Flashing Navigation Lights!
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
hilltop170

Post by hilltop170 »

Flashing nav lights are very distinctive and often more visible than steady ones, especially on the ground. I just removed the nav light flasher and rotating beacon from my plane when the strobes were installed. I really like them. Most folks never knew they existed but some are still out there.
Richard Pulley
2014-2016 TIC170A Past President
1951 170A, N1715D, s/n 20158, O-300D
2023 Best Original 170A at Sault Ste. Marie
Owned from 1973 to 1984.
Bought again in 2006 after 22 years.
It's not for sale!
robert.p.bowen

Post by robert.p.bowen »

You might try Air Repair, Inc. (662-846-0228). Pete Jones had a crate of these rotating beacons, some of which are NOS. They are for the L-19, but he doesn't use them on his projects because the motors aren't reliable (sound familiar?).
Bob-
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Again, Mr. George McKinney over at Air Parts of Lock Haven comes to our aid... He suggests the following :

"We don't overhaul that unit as of this time ...we have tried to buy a company out.... Aero Electric who was doing these but they were bought out by Kelly ... try them at 1-316-943-6100 ."
thammer

Post by thammer »

http://www.avliteaviation.com overhauls and has parts for Grimes landing lights including the motors. They might be worth contacting. Their web site seems to be down right now though. I swapped emails with Tom Leatherwood. PM me for his email address.