Windshield weatherstripping

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

Kyle Wolfe

Windshield weatherstripping

Post by Kyle Wolfe »

I flew the other night and felt cool air seeping in around my windshield. Seemed like it was coming in the top portion.

After landing I looked closely and it appears that there is some rubber (latex?) caulk around the windscreen. But it appears to be old and is fraying.

I'm thinking of cleaning the old caulk off as best I can and running a new bead of latex caulk around the windscreen. Comments for/against this?

I see on other posts that silicone can advance corrosion. And that there is no felt seal on the top of the windshield. If that's the case, what seal is used there? (Sorry, I don't have my parts book at home to see what type of liner or retainer is used for the windshield....)

What have other's done to try to minimize windshield leakage?

I have done the duct tape routine under the inspection covers at the wing roots. And I've got foam inserted into my air vents. Any other tricks to stop windshield leakage?
Kyle
54 B N1932C
57 BMW Isetta
Best original 170B - Dearborn, MI 2005
lowNslow

Post by lowNslow »

Kyle, the upper windshield does have a seal. The Cessna seal is felt, but you could also use a foam seal as used on Pipers. Good source of info and products at: http://www.lpaero.com/accessories.html

They also have recommended sealants.
Karl
'53 170B N3158B SN:25400
ASW-20BL
blueldr

Post by blueldr »

The 3M Co. makes some really tough clear transparent plastic tape, such as that used on propeller leading edges, that works well across the top of the windshield to seal it against both rain and wind. It does a much neater job than caulking type sealers.
BL
Abe

Post by Abe »

blueldr, would you know the name of that 3M tape and/or a supplier that sells it...Thanks
Bill
'52 170B
blueldr

Post by blueldr »

Abe,

I don't remember the name of the product tape that I referred to, but I distinctly remember that it was a 3M product. It was a really tough plastic with an exceptionally strong adhesive.
BL
n2582d

Post by n2582d »

Gary
HA

Post by HA »

make sure the center post in your windshield is not cracked or broken. mine broke and the windshields moved around pretty good especially on starts, no sealer would hold up to it.

same problem if you've gone to a one-piece, they tend to move around at the top
'56 "C170 and change"
'52 Packard 200
'68 Arctic Cat P12 Panther
"He's a menace to everything in the air. Yes, birds too." - Airplane
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

HA wrote:make sure the center post in your windshield is not cracked or broken. mine broke and the windshields moved around pretty good especially on starts, no sealer would hold up to it.

same problem if you've gone to a one-piece, they tend to move around at the top
The windshield should "move". It's a floating windshield, and if it were rigidly sealed to the airframe would crack and split.
Sealant has the unfortunate ability to contribute to cracking due to this. Felt is the original and the best stuff, as it also will dry out and "wick" moisture out of the joints and be less likely to cause corrosion.
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)