Tail Wheel Shim?

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

Dr. Dave

Tail Wheel Shim?

Post by Dr. Dave »

I have a 56 C-170 B with a scot tail wheel conversion. I believe it to be the 3200 model.. My problem is that the leaf springs are narrower than the bracket on the tail wheel assembly.. This allows for quite a bit of play between the spring and the bracket.. I understand that there is a U shaped shim that should be placed inside the bracket to accomodate the narrow spring.. However I haven't seen a reference to such a part in any catalogues or in the parts book.. Is this a custom made part that has to be built? If so what are the does and don'ts when having it built??
Thanks for any advice ..

Dr. Dave
(Travels with Charlie)
zero.one.victor

Post by zero.one.victor »

Dave,my copy of Scott Bulletin No. I-168 "installation instructions,Scott 3200 tailwheel for Cessna 120,140,& 170 Aircraft" ( copyright 1949!) shows p/n 3241-3A spacer between the leaf spring & the tailwheel bracket. My Aircraft Spruce catalog lists p/n 3241S spacer,"converts 1-3/4" bracket to 1-1/2" width". Price is about $40. They also list a spacer for a 1-1/4" leaf spring.
Good luck with it.

Eric
Dr. Dave

Tail wheel shim

Post by Dr. Dave »

Thanks Eric.. I have the 2001-2002 Spruce catalog so I should be able to find it now. I've had a number of people tell me that I should not be flying with this much play in the bracket. I'm too inexperienced to notice the difference and it has been like this for a number of years, at least. It's surprising that nobody picked it up on the previous annual?

Thanks again,

Dave
derf62

Post by derf62 »

Even after you receive the bracket from a supplier you may find just a bit more shimming required. I replaced the complete (all springs) and ball socket recently. Found it still had a bit of slop so I added a additional piece of alum to take up this free play.