Long Cross Country in a 170A

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

N1277D

Long Cross Country in a 170A

Post by N1277D »

It looks like we be moving/relocating from Idaho to Wilmington, NC. After looking at the various routes and the time of year, the best route appears to be south from Boise to Saint George, UT then pick up I-40 around Winslow AZ to Memphis, TN then pretty much so direct to ILM.

Are there places along this route I-40 eastward that are must stops and places to see ?
Harold Holiman

Post by Harold Holiman »

Albequerque, NM, is a great overnight stop. Lots to see in Old Town. If you make Winslow, AZ, around mealtime, eat at the Posido Hotel. Great restored Fred Harvey restaurant and hotel. Elk City OK is also another good overnight stop. Resonable motels, friendly FBO & crew car and very interesting Regional History museum and Route 66 museum. We made these stops on our flight along Route 66 to Tehachapi several years ago. Memphis also has lots to see if you want to spend time there.

Harold
Bill Hart

Post by Bill Hart »

Graceland! Elvis has left the building.
Curtis Brown

Post by Curtis Brown »

I flew from North Mississippi (TUP) Tupelo to Northern Idaho last August. I went in from Billings to Missoula but that is in the northern part. Places that I found where they were nice enough to lend a car overnight were:
(6S8) Laurel, MT., (LXN) Lexington, NE., (CYW) Clay Center, KS., all smaller airports with reasonable fuel prices where I stayed overnight. Also (TOR) Torrington, WY. had good price on fuel but was a day stop. However, those locations are a bit north of your route.
In Northwest Arkansas you will find (3M0) Gaston's which is a must stop if you get close enough. Check it out http://www.gastons.com/ they have a grass strip about 3400 ft. nice restaurant and reasonably price cabins and rooms. Good trout fishing as well.
I doubt you will get close enough to Tupelo to stop but if you do I have a guestroom.
Have fun!
Curtis
1950 A model 1256D
Robert Eilers

Post by Robert Eilers »

Sedona, AZ is a nice stop - just South of Flagstaff.
AR Dave

Post by AR Dave »

Curtis, I can't believe you!

Mr 1277D, 70 miles after crossing Arkansas's west border (on I-40) you will travel by my home (Russellville), 10 mins later you will see the Arkansas River turn in front of the Petit Jean mountain (OK maybe it's not a big one). If it is the first weekend in May, you will see 30, 170's sitting on the runway just above the river. Curtis will be parked in the corner. That would be an excellent opportunity, if you could travel then. If at another date call us and camp, stay in the lodge, or stop at Russellville and we'll take you out to eat.

Last edited by AR Dave on Sun Jan 28, 2007 4:48 am, edited 2 times in total.
Curtis Brown

Post by Curtis Brown »

Dave,
Ooops! Sorry I must have had a Senior moment. Yeah, Petit Jean is a neat place. But I must have been thinking of stops a traveler would be making. He would be needing fuel, food and maybe sleep. So Mr. 1277D needs to plan his dates to be there first weekend of May.
Curtis
1950 A model 1256D
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Robert Eilers wrote:Sedona, AZ is a nice stop - just South of Flagstaff.
Sedona is an OUTSTANDINGly beautiful stop! LIke landing on another planet in a spaceship!
http://66.226.83.248/ap/01237
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
scsmith42

Post by scsmith42 »

Ditto Sedona. The Grand Canyon is also spectacular.

In Tennessee, consider landing in Tullahoma and touring the Beechcraft (Staggerwing) museum. In addition to Staggerwings, there are Beech 18's, a Travel Air, a Starship, and several other Beech products. The museum is at the south end of the airport, and you can taxi right up to it.

Ashville NC is home to the Biltmore Estate. More things to see and do there than you can shake a stick at. The midnight (candlelight tour) of the mansion is fun, as is the normal day tour. Plan on spending a day there.
'53 170 B
N3134A
N1277D

Post by N1277D »

Great Suggestions; we will stop by some of these places on the way.
sphillips

Post by sphillips »

Taos, New Mexico, tho north of ABQ
N3598C, C170B
N1277D

Re: Trip from Idaho to North Carolina

Post by N1277D »

Thanks for all the great adice on cross country routes. We got it done, the 170 is in North Carolina. The route we ended up taking was south from Boise to Mequite NV and then picked up I-40 on the other side of the Grand Canyon to around mid Arkansas. From there we headed south to outrun a strong cold front and ended up going south of Atlanta. Over all it took us about 4 days. We had a significant tail wind in places, at one time our ground speed was over 165 mph through Oklahoma.

We left Idaho with a Stinson 108 and the 170, the Stinson broke an exhaust valve spring in northern Az (near Flagstaff) and we ended up leaving it there. So we have to make part of this trip again.

We found a place to base the 170, a place called Stagg Air Park outside of Burgow NC. They have quite the active EAA group there. We are looking forward to attending the East Coast Flyins.

Now we have to sell our place in Idaho, 160 acres with an airstrip. Moving cross country with airplanes is definately an adventure
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

You should LIST your place for sale in the TradeMart, since you are a Member! Post some pics too!
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
3958v

Post by 3958v »

Just wondering what makes a guy want to own a 46 Stinson and a C170A as they seem to fill a very simlar mission. Also I was wondering if you have any coments comparing the flight characteristics. Bill K
Polished 48 170 Cat 22 JD 620 & Pug
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

I've got experience in them both. The 170 is a typical Cessna except with a lighter elevator than later Cessnas and a lighter rudder than the trikes. Great visibility and more balanced controls.
The Stinson is not as light on the controls, the ailerons are less effective, and the view is more restricted, due to the seating height being lower. The seats are more "agricultural" in that they are simpler and less sophisticated.
They are not very good comparisons, in my opinion. The Stinson is an older construction technique...steel tubes, wood formers, fabric coverings. Slotted leading edges and less effective ailerons as previously noted, also contribute to prevent/defeat spins. (Not a criticism, just an observation.)
The Stinson is a good value for a four place airplane as long as you keep in mind it's different/older construction and unique maintenance issues. (Both engine and airframe wise.)