180 legs on ragwing

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

russ murri

180 legs on ragwing

Post by russ murri »

I am in the process of installing 1956 180 -3 and -4 legs on my 170. These legs are 11/16'' thick and the stock legs are 5/8'' thick. Does this cause a problem with the mounting of the thicker leg in the gear box? Thanks for the help....... After the plane is up and running again I will be taking it to P -Ponk for the gear box beaf up kit , they will install that.
zero.one.victor

Post by zero.one.victor »

Russ,my 170 was fitted with the 180 legs before I bought it,so I don't have any knowledge of any special pains in installation,but as far as I know itis pretty straight-forward. A good guy to talk to would be Tom Anderson of XPMods,he's over in Wenatchee nowadays. Besides IO-360 conversions and gear legs,he also sells the P-Ponk gearbox kits. I'm sure he's a wealth of information on this subject.
Good luck with it.

Eric
David Laseter

Post by David Laseter »

I've only ever flown with the 180 gear legs.
There are some 170 members that don't think much of them or the P-ponks. But they use miniature tires also.
Once I had to watch my gear legs, wheels, and brakes fly past my rear windows. If it happens again, my Ponks will either hold or add to the scrap pile.
Dave