Battery clamp question for CAJUN FLYGUY

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

Harold Holiman

Battery clamp question for CAJUN FLYGUY

Post by Harold Holiman »

I want to upgrade my battery cables and clamps to the good FAA approved kind like you have. My question is, do the vice grips have to be genuine "Vice Grip" brand pliers or are the el-cheap-o Tiwan/China brand imitation vice grips ok and FAA approved? I would prefer to use the el-cheapo-o ones as I have several sets of them and I think I could find some that will clamp good enough. I have a couple of genuine "Vice Grips" that I purchased in about 1948 but I prefer to not use them for this low demanding job. Waiting for your approval.

Harold H
flyguy

VISE GRIPS?

Post by flyguy »

FER PEET SAKE! :roll: WHO TOLE YOU ANYTIANG BOUT" VISE GRIPES"? THAT GAYHORN WOODN'T NO ENYTHING BOUT TOOLS IFN HE HAD EM IN HIS POCKET SO A DOANT LISSEN TU HIM. THEM THAR CLAMPS IS SPECIAL MADE FER LAWAN MOWER BATTRYS.. IF YA USE SPECIAL BATTRYS THEN YA GOT TU HAVE SPECIAL CLAMPERS. THEAR NOT VAILABLE JES EVRY WHAR.
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Ooops, Harold! I forgot to mention that part about the battery clamp STC that OLE'GAR has invented.
Those special clamps were for the riding lawn-mower battery conversion for 170's. (It's still a lead acid battery tho'.) :wink:
Hey, GAR. My friend Solo-man had a WallyMart lawn tractor battery in his 206 for several years before he finally had the airplane annualed before selling it. It worked just fine, he said. I doubt if he ever paid you for any of the extensive paperwork associated with your stc. (Things are sometimes done a little different in the republic of west texas.)