Hydraulic Skis

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

km74

Hydraulic Skis

Post by km74 »

I am thinking about pucrchasing a 170A in BC Canada. Is there hydraulic skis that you can put on it and does anyone know how much a float kit is, and where to get one for these aircraft. Thanks for any info.

Ken
pdb

Post by pdb »

My mechanic has federal hydraulic skis on his 170B but they cost almost as much as the plane.

Pete
Anchorage
Pete Brown
Anchorage, Alaska
N4563C 1953 170B
http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2366/2527 ... 4e43_b.jpg
JDH

Post by JDH »

Hi Ken. A friend got a complete float kit installed on a '53 170B a couple of years back. He got the complete installation kit (Cessna 0541125 I believe) and at the same time, got refueling steps and handles, lifting eyebolts (for change over) and cross brace. That installation cost him 10Gs Canadian at the time. As for hydraulic skis, there's a few makes used for that on 170's, they are very dear and are heavier than staight skis. Plus, the installation and removal has to be donne by an AME. I'd talk to folks in Fort Mac and Peace River - Grande Prairie area. Talk to folks that do the same kind of flying you do and go the same kind of places you want to get to. The biggest gripes people have of straight skis is for refueling. You can only get so far next to the runway before you have to scrape across a tarmac to the fuel pumps. Unless you are lucky to always come back to base where you pull up to your own pump on snow... JD
garyl

Post by garyl »

Ken
See from a subsequent posting you purchased the 170 in BC. Did you get it to McMurray yet? How was that trip? In an old posting you were enquiring about hydraulic skis. I have a set of Federal 3000's that came with mine and are now installed for the winter. Hydraulic unit is hand operated with c/o valve on the flap consol. Works great. As someone mentioned they are a little heavier then straight skis, but definitely more versatile. If you would like some digital photos of setup be glad to forward. I am located in Hay River, ever up this way give me a call.
garyl@nt.sympatico.ca
Gary
km74

hydraulic skis

Post by km74 »

Hello Gary,
Yes I brought it back to Ft Mac on the 16th of Nov. I have put 20 hours on it since I bought it. The trip back was alright. I had bad weather through Prince George, Mackenzie and Pine pass but it cleared up by Chetwynd. I would be interested in your photos if you could send them to mccracken74@yahoo.com.

Thanks
ak2711c

Post by ak2711c »

Cessna no longer makes float kits any more. You have to order each part individually. The catch is, as I understand a bunch of the parts for the 170's are no longer made ether so you have to find them at salvage yards. :cry: There are some hydraulic wheel skis listed in the TCDS. The biggest draw back is the price and the weight. The skis and pump will weigh in at roughly 130 lbs but you also still have the weight of your wheels and brakes to for another roughly 40 lbs. If you go straight skis there is not very much of a empty weight increase. Wheel skis sure are nice though. Good luck with your new bird.
Shawn