VFR Sectional Sources

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

170C

VFR Sectional Sources

Post by 170C »

Most of the time I have purchased my sectionals from a source called Bill@???. Can't find my email address for that place and he has stopped sending me emails advising which sectionals are expiring. As I recall he charges $7.95 each with free shipping. Anyone out there know the email address of this source or others at this price?
OLE POKEY
170C
Director:
2012-2018
Bruce Fenstermacher

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

At one time I used the AOPA service which sent them automatically. The think they changed vendors and my account got fouled up and I never renewed it. But it was convenient.

I now just buy one from a local FBO and hope that they somehow will continue to provide the service of selling them. Actually our FBO is shutting down. We'll be left with automated unattended gas. And it won't be a discounted gas either.

Be happy if you have an FBO that has this stuff and support them when you can.
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
170C

VFR Sectionals

Post by 170C »

Bruce, you must be having a slow day at work, as you are sending me replys almost as soon as I ask the questions. I sure appreciate it. That is one thing I really like about our 170 forum is the means of getting answers.

Checking the internet, Sky Geek appears to have a good deal on charts. $5.99 for sectionals & $3.19 for terminal charts + shipping. Looks like my cost here would average $7.73 each. To get the correct charts (date wise) to get to Galveston and also to get to Oshkosh would cost about $62 w/ a couple of terminal (D/FW & Houston) charts thrown in. Every time I plan a lengthy trip like Oshkosh, I forget just how much the charts are going to add to the trip expense. Lots of folks use old ones or use WAC charts, but even w/ a current data base in my GPS, I am still old school to the extent I like the up-to-date sectionals with me and a line drawn on my intended route. Tried the VFR Atlas bound deals last year for Kolana and I never did figure them out and Paul just barely did. I won't be spending my $100 for those again.

I don't know where this fuel situation is going (both auto and 100LL), but it is putting a crimp in my just going out to fly around to just enjoy flying. Maybe I need something that burns 4-5 gallons an hour. My old C-140A was that way and about as fast as my 172-TD, but not as comfortable on a long trip.
OLE POKEY
170C
Director:
2012-2018
Bruce Fenstermacher

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

Know what you mean that is why I have a Cub. Which of course doubles my insurance, tie down and maintenance cost so I can SAVE 4 gallons an hour getting 3/4 the distance the 170 can go. Are we having FUN yet.
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

KwitcherKomplaneinanritethucheckscausthisiswhacherwantedapilutlisensfor
:lol:
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
Dward

Post by Dward »

C170,

I use http://www.MyPilotStore.com for my sectionals. Like you, I decided I wanted up to date charts so I called AOPA to sign up for the subscription service. They told me they no longer offered that service but recommended Sporty's so I called them and set it up. A couple of days later my first StLouis Sectional arrived with the credit card reciept for the chart and five dollars shipping 8O :evil: !!! I immediately picked up the phone and cancelled then called my pilot store. They ship each new installment of the chart as soon as they get them and only bill you for the chart. I don't have a receipt with me but I think they charge seven dollars and some change.
Dave W

88 cyclo polisher
kloz

Post by kloz »

gahorn wrote:KwitcherKomplaneinanritethucheckscausthisiswhacherwantedapilutlisensfor
:lol:
Is that texacan. :lol:
Carl
dacker

Post by dacker »

Great info! I am going to cancel my Sporty's and go with the Pilotstore. You are right, Sporty's charges an arm and a leg for shipping! I have had their service for years now for the local VFR and IFR charts and haven't thought to shop around. :roll:
David
Kyle Wolfe

Post by Kyle Wolfe »

Ditto what David said!

I'm in the corner of the world where I need 4 sectionals. The shipping costs do add up.

Here's one more example of where the Assn. provides info and saves everyone some money.

How about adding this tid-bit to the newsletter? Know we need to be careful of promoting... Just a thought.
Kyle
54 B N1932C
57 BMW Isetta
Best original 170B - Dearborn, MI 2005
Kim Purcell

Post by Kim Purcell »

Another sourse for charts that I use and have found to be the best price anywhere is Fallon Airmotive in Fallon Nevada, their number is (800) 247-5506. Sectionals and WAC's are $6.95 with free shipping, they also carry other supplies. I don't know if they have a subcripion service but I just call them (they have my credit card number) and the charts arrive in a few days.
Kim
170A
170C

Sectional Charts Sources

Post by 170C »

Thanks for the suggestions. Fallon Airmotive appears to be the all inclusive lowest price @ $6.95 & free shipping. My Pilot Store will average $7.25 per chart including shipping.
OLE POKEY
170C
Director:
2012-2018
flyguy

CHEEP CHARTS

Post by flyguy »

HEY MEMBERS - - - GO TO THE MEMBER ISSUES PAGE FOR A LINK TO THE CHEAPEST CHARTS IN THE COUNTRY. MAYBE WE CAN GET HIM TO BE ONE OF OUR ADVERTISERS. HE HAS LOTS OF STUFF ABOUT 10% TO 20% LESS MONEY.
OLE GAR SEZ - 4 Boats, 4 Planes, 4 houses. I've got to quit collecting!
blueldr

Post by blueldr »

Note for Kim Purcell:

Hey Kim, I too use Fallon Airmotive for my charts

Is it OK if I tell them to use your credit card?.
BL