Float Kit Installation

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

funseventy

Float Kit Installation

Post by funseventy »

I have a 1954 170B and I'm looking for drawings for installing a float kit. I can do the work, I'm an A&P/IA. I just need help finding the info. I know about lifting eyes and V-braces, I don't know about stiffeners and doublers.

I would appreciate any help, and will trade for good info. Kelly
mit

Re: Float Kit Installation

Post by mit »

funseventy wrote:I have a 1954 170B and I'm looking for drawings for installing a float kit. I can do the work, I'm an A&P/IA. I just need help finding the info. I know about lifting eyes and V-braces, I don't know about stiffeners and doublers.

I would appreciate any help, and will trade for good info. Kelly

Its all in the Parts book there is no V-brace, most of the ones I have seen have been field approved. Call edo at Kenmore Air harbor 1-800-423-5526 for the float drawings.
Tim
ak2711c

Post by ak2711c »

Kenmore has an STC for the float kit installation. The kit is pretty extensive. I have not installed one myself yet but from what I hear expect to spend about 40 hours on it. Seems like I heard the kit costs about $1500 from Kenmore but I could be wrong. Good luck.
Shawn
ak2711c

Post by ak2711c »

Just did a little research on float kits and I gave you bad info. You have to go to Cessna to get the float kit, but here is the catch. Cessna no longer makes float kits so you have to go through your parts book and look up each part and buy it individually. Now for the real kicker, alot of the parts are no longer available. I was told to start calling salvage yards for those parts. What a pain. Looks to me like all of those 170's with float kits just went up in value.
Shawn