Ram's Horn Type Control Wheels

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

Harold Holiman

Ram's Horn Type Control Wheels

Post by Harold Holiman »

I am considering updating my 1953 control wheels to later model Cessna ram's horn type control wheels. My question is, when most update their wheels, do they also change the shaft on the pilots side and the part the shaft slides through to the later type with a hole in them which will allow the use of the later Cessna control lock which is the crooked rod with the metal flag?

Harold H
N92CP
Mbr# 893
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

I've not seen any, but that doesn't mean anything. The 170 left the factory with the intent to use external control locks. External locks actually benefit and protect the control system better because the type that lock controls from the cockpit allow the wind/helicopters/prop-blasts to beat the controls and abuse the pulley/cable system.
The rudder is the most sensitive to abuse on the 170, and it's not a good idea to lock the rudder with an external lock only at the top counter-weight area because so much pressure can be brought to bear up there, the rudder can still be damaged. The best type rudder lock, in my opinion, is the type that locks it with ropes/bungees stretched to the outer horzontal, with a "bra" at the nav light.