O320 Conversion, How complicated

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

Psmith

O320 Conversion, How complicated

Post by Psmith »

How complicated is it to upgrade a 170A to a Lyc O320? I assume it has been done and there is an STC available. Is a fuel pump required and does the cowl need modifications? Thanks.

Pete Smith N1320D
Watkinsnv

0320 Conv

Post by Watkinsnv »

The conversion is the same as a O-360's so the little you save in the cost between the two engines is made up in performance of the O-360. Yes on the fuel pump Yes on the blisters on the cowling. Lance
blueldr

Post by blueldr »

A guy would have to be a glutton for punishment to even think of modifying his airplane to a Lyc. O-320 which would, at best, only give 15 more HP and a ton more vibration. Any change of engine type is VERY expensive, so you might as well go for more power.
I just installed a 210 HP Cont. IO-360 in mine, and believe me, it would have been cheaper to sell the 170 and buy a 180. It's just that the 180 has such an ugly square tail!

BL
BL
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

blueldr wrote:A guy would have to be a glutton for punishment to even think of modifying his airplane to a Lyc. O-320 which would, at best, only give 15 more HP and a ton more vibration. Any change of engine type is VERY expensive, so you might as well go for more power.
I just installed a 210 HP Cont. IO-360 in mine, and believe me, it would have been cheaper to sell the 170 and buy a 180. It's just that the 180 has such an ugly square tail!

BL
I wonder if it'd be cheaper to install a 170 tail on a 180? :wink:
(I agree about that square tail. If I were to ever get tired of the fun challenge of flying around underpowered, I think I'd lean towards the (in this order) TCM IO-360, the Franklin 220, Lyc O360.) Since finally getting a pretty round-tail I just have a difficult time seeing anything else in my hangar. When I win the Power-Ball/Lottery I'm going to have a 190/195, Lockheed Hudson, Connie, and a series 4 Comet, all with original interiors and working VHT-Superhomers!
Harold Holiman

Lottery/Flying toys

Post by Harold Holiman »

George,

If Texas doesn't have the lottery, you can mail your money over here to Georgia and perhaps I can buy you the winning ticket so you can get all of those fun sounding flying toys. I always said my 180 is just an "Overgrown 170 with a funny tail". :lol:

Harold H
Mbr #893 :twisted:
GAHorn

Re: Lottery/Flying toys

Post by GAHorn »

Harold Holiman wrote:George,

If Texas doesn't have the lottery, you can mail your money over here to Georgia and perhaps I can buy you the winning ticket so you can get all of those fun sounding flying toys. I always said my 180 is just an "Overgrown 170 with a funny tail". :lol:

Harold H
Mbr #893 :twisted:
Hey! Harold! I've got another idea! Since it's such a long distance, and troublesome to be sending all that money for tickets to you, why don't you just go ahead and buy a bunch of tickets for me, and when the winning one comes in, just send it over to me? Then I'll simply reimburse you for the cost of the ticket! 8)
(BTW, did you know that Texas got out of paying a multi-million dollar winning ticket last year? It seems the holder of the winning ticket bought it from a local, individually-owned, small grocery in New Jersey. The ticket won! But Texas got out of paying off because the fine print on the ticket states that only tickets purchased in accordance with Lottery rules would be honored. The local store was purchasing the tickets through his brother in law who lived in Texas, who would then send them on to the New Jersey location. The catch was, neither of them were authorized Texas Lottery ticket dealers,...they were only individuals looking to make a buck on the side re-selling tickets. So the winning ticket was not purchased directly from a Texas Lottery dealer...and was declared invalid! Moral: beware of Texans (or anyone from the northeast or someplace who claim to be Texans) whom come around telling you they are going to do something for you.) :wink:
c170b53

Post by c170b53 »

I'm almost finished the 0-320 conversion and yeah I'm black and blue. I'm hoping for increased reliability and fuel savings which is basically a penny wise, dollar not so wise. approach.
blueldr

Post by blueldr »

How in the world are you going to get any fuel savings with a lyc.320? Specific fuel consumption is almots identical and the HP is slightly higher. I'm baffled!

BL
BL
flyguy

HAROLD HOW ABOUT ANOTHER ONE?

Post by flyguy »

George wrote: I wonder if it'd be cheaper to install a 170 tail on a 180? (I agree about that square tail. If I were to ever get tired of the fun challenge of flying around underpowered, I think I'd lean towards the (in this order) TCM IO-360, the Franklin 220, Lyc O360.) Since finally getting a pretty round-tail I just have a difficult time seeing anything else in my hangar. When I win the Power-Ball/Lottery I'm going to have a 190/195, Lockheed Hudson, Connie, and a series 4 Comet, all with original interiors and working VHT-Superhomers!

OLE GAR writes" YEAAAHHH, except I would add a Helio Stallion, a Spartan Executive and a Staggered Wing Beech! :lol: And as an after thought a Rose Parakeet! I just gotta git a bigger hangar!
zero.one.victor

Post by zero.one.victor »

Forget the hangar, I need a bigger wallet!

Eric