170 odessey or is it odditty?

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

sloPoke

170 odessey or is it odditty?

Post by sloPoke »

I've been motoring about the countryside with my Avcon converted 170 that I bought last year. Currently on Orcas island camping out. It's been a flexible schedule that tries to find interesting places, visit friends, take advantage of good weather and keep costs down. Avweb has been great to figure out where to get fuel.
Started in Ft. Worth about a month ago. Off to Payson to camp out. Very nice. Was going to stop in Prescott to visit friends, but will have to see them on the flip side. Took a few days in San Diego then up to Truckee to visit friends and over to Stead to see what's up with the new and old pilots at the Pylon Racing School.
Off to the Bay Area to visit with Mom and Dad for several days to make sure they were well supplied and doing okay. Then to Lake Almanor. Nice place up in the mountains with lots of trees. Tried on a friend's Pitts for size and took it for a quick flite. He asked me to be his alternate pilot for Reno 2007. (used to race my own Pitts, but sold it). After flight had a few drinks with friends at the club to steady my nerves.
Headed for Caldwell, ID to visit friend that always beat me in Formula 1 air racers. Had a great visit and watched him do night crop dusting. Pretty impressive. I think he air races to relax. He recommended a couple of back country strips, so I headed off to Smiley Creek. Long grass runway and nice camp ground right there with hot shower and market/ restaurant across the street. Hiked around, met some nice folks visiting from Rosamond Skypark.
After a couple of days went up to Sulphur Creek for breakfast. Couldn't camp there so headed over to Minan Lodge that I'd heard about on the forum. Great place, nice people, interesting approach. Met a bunch of Morgan Horse enthusiasts that rode in. More hiking and eating too much good food.
Watching the Seattle weather it looked good so took off and swung by St. Helens for some photos. Still looks like it went off last week. Grey and brown with Spirit Lake full of dead trees. I thought the place would have greened up by now.
Stopped in Kent. Met Norm, got an interesting insight into some of the friction between home owners and airport owner. Looked at a couple of hangar homes for sale. Over to Auburn where you can park your plane next to the motel. Took a day at the races on the 4th of july and set up to meet old friend I used to work air cargo with the next day at Puyallup.
I'm running out of free time on the library computer so will try to add more tomorrow. The plane's running great and so far it's been a good trip. I will probably fly over to Arlington tomorrow afternoon or Friday morning and camp out a few days. 2902D Cream/Green/Burgundy 170 if you happen to be around the fly in.
May go up into BC. Possibly on to Alaska? Weather and budget allowing. Otherwise over to Glacier/ Yellowstone, who knows!
Out there somewhere,
Charlie
Jr.CubBuilder

Post by Jr.CubBuilder »

Sounds like fun Charlie, wish I could do that. I might be over tomorrow with a couple friends if the clouds and airplane cooperate. Brown 170 with orange deer horns.
170C

Flying adventures

Post by 170C »

Charlie, it sounds like you are having a super time. Wish I could do the same sometime. Continue to give us progress reports. Tell us about your plane, how equipped, cruise speeds, max speeds, etc.
OLE POKEY
170C
Director:
2012-2018
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

And tell us more about the actual flights, the terrain, the scenery and show us some PICTURES. :P
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
Joe Moilanen

Post by Joe Moilanen »

I'll be at Arlington tomorrow Charlie, probably get there around 6:00 in the evening or so after I get done flying fire patrol around my home base 100 miles south. Two-tone blue and white B model, 4518C. I'll end up hanging around a red and white 180 with a big silver tarp over the wing. Rumor has it they've got a gasoline-powered blender...

Joe
4518C
sloPoke

Post by sloPoke »

I should be over to arlington before the airshow starts today (thurs). Will see you there. The blender sounds good!
My 170 cruises about 115kts at 9 gal/hr. with the lyc. I have a javelin tank so the range is pretty good.
After my stop in Auburn on the 4th I took a circle up around Seattle down past Tahuya where my aunt and uncle used to have a farm that I'd visit as a boy, then I stopped into Kapowsin to check on the skydiving. There was nothing to be found other than some nice homes with hangars and the remains of a Pea Pit (accuracy circle). I went on over to Pierce county and had a bite and waited for my old friend to show up after work.
Next day we did the site seeing flight past Ranier and stopped in at Shady Acres to see if another guy from biplane racing was around. He came out and we told some lies, I mean stories, looked at his dad's antique cars and old planes (including a 170) then headed back to Pierce. I guess there was a nice 170 that went over on it's back there the next day.
Then I was off to Orcas, but when I stopped at Bremerton to buy some cheaper gas I was talking to a jump pilot who told me they were having a Boogie (skydiver party) at Shelton. I found that to be 22 miles away so went over, camped out, met some real nice people that had started the airport and DZ at Kapowsin and even managed to rent some gear and make a two way with a new guy that needed some practice.
After the weekend I headed up to Orcas. They have a nice grass tiedown area with a bathroom and shower off in the hangar area that you need someone to give some directions to.
Sorry for no photos yet. I need to set up some kind of online account for that. Maybe with smug mug. I have lots of photos in the camera, just can't load them directly. I'm better with a plane than a computor but will try to set up an account and post.
I'll probably be off line for a few days unless I find access at the flyin.
Charlie
Joe Moilanen

Post by Joe Moilanen »

See ya at Arlington, gotta go look for fires for now. Toledo has a drop zone (75 miles south of Arlington). Made a lot of jumps there over the years. WUFFO!!!!

Joe
sloPoke

Post by sloPoke »

I'm back on the net for an update (if anyone cares?). Had a great time at Arlington. Met up with Joe and Mike from the 170 club as well as a canadian 170. Learned how to tig weld and relearned some fabric skills. After two days I took off in the am right after the hot air balloons inflated and skimmed over the camping area. Flying over the Cascades looked the the swiss alps. Valleys filled with fog. Was glad that the engine didn't quit. Landed at Cavenaugh Bay, a nice grass strip right next to Priest Lake. Camping area with shower and there's a bar and grill a short walk away. The water temp. was just right for a swim every afternoon. I saw two moose in the small lake on the East side of the runway. ( I know- send photos!).
So 3 nights camping there then off to Montana. I stopped at Boundry County airport for fuel. Nice people at the FBO. They let me look at a book to get more info about Schaefer, a Forrest Service Strip. I called the FS phone number to get info on Bears and strip condition. They recommended Meadow Creek instead because of a couple of fires and lots of smoke. Scenic flite over Glacier Nat'l Park except way too much smoke in the air from the fires. Still amazing scenery when looking down.
Circled Meadow Creek. Big arrow cut in grass must be a hint to land down hill. Came over 75' trees and ducked down over 800' overrun to land on smooth 2350' grass runway at 3900MSL and warm day. No problem except for large welcoming committee of immense horse flies. Can of Off slowed them down considerably and I was able to thin out their numbers with some swats from my floppy hat.
Then down the path into the shade of the trees. Much cooler in there and no horse flies. Pitched tent and headed off down the path to find river. Nobody around except me and the flies all afternoon until near sunset when two Cessna came around the corner and landed down wind up the hill with no look see to check field conditions. They had never been there before either. But they made it. In the evening several deer grazed through camp ground. One about 20 feet away before it saw me. I put my food in the Bear Box and slept okay.
Next day off to Yellowstone. I landed at Gardiner and got gas from Bill. Then found out no credit cards. But had a couple of checks in the wallet, so all's well. Didn't want to use of most of my cash horde. He seemed like a nice guy. Used to fish Salmon at Naknek same time as I used to fly in and out of there for Pen Air. Not much going on there so decided to head over to W. Yellowstone, as I heard they had campground for pilots. Nice place next to transient ramp with great shower and chance to fill up my water bottles.
I was going to walk into town, but met Mary driving golf cart with a guy in it. She suggested that maybe I could catch a ride with the guy and his friend who had just rented a car. They offered to let me go along on their drive through the park. So off we went. I bought the entrance fee for us and kicked in for gas and we had a great time roaming the park in an Ecplipse convertible with the top down and 6' 2" me across the back seat sideways holding my hat on. Saw old faithful go off, the hot pools, boiling mud pots, steam vents and lots of critters including a Buffalo in the other lane of the road giving us a look as we slowly pulled past.
The guys are Mike and Fernando and they really are on an oddessey. They started in Brazil and have flown something that looks like a RANS high wing all the way up through South and Central America, Baja Calif. , up to Seattle, then plan to go over to Oshkosh then on to Greenland and across to Europe, and then down through Africa. They had been on the road for 2 and a half month already.
When we returned to the camp site at dusk they had some great stories to tell as we drank a beer or two and the stars came out. If you are going to Oshkosh hopefully you will meet them. Mike did the flight up to Oshkosh last year then to the arctic circle and back down to Brazil.
Nothing seems to worry him too much.
Next morning they were off at first light. I had a more liesurely start with a shower, then off to Rapid City, SD to visit another air racing buddy. He had offered a flight in a B1 simulater if I came by, but it is no longer possible so we settled for letting him try out the 170 and do some sight seeing. Mount Rushmore and Crazy horse monument are nearby.
Then we borrowed a friend's RV7A that needed a flight while he was on deployment and did some mild akro. Life is good.
Tomorrow I'll decide if I press on to Oshkosh or head south to do more camping in Colorado. Decisions, decisions.
Sorry, still no photos - so is probably pretty boring. Might give someone some ideas for places to go, though.
Out there somewhere,
Charlie
Paul-WI

Post by Paul-WI »

WOW - The whole trip sounds like fun. Too bad work gets in the way for some of us :lol: Maybe when I retire..........

Paul
Paul
N3458D
sloPoke

Post by sloPoke »

I made it to Oshkosh on the day before it started. They parked me so far south that sometimes it was hard to tell if the airport was operating. Nice and quiet for sleeping . By taking the bus in it was manageable. Saw lots of cool stuff, met several friends and got out before the P51 accident.
I'll continue the travel log later.
I think I have figured out how to post some photos.

http://home.earthlink.net/~slopke

Charlie
hilltop170

Post by hilltop170 »

Great photos Charlie, looking forward to the rest of them when you get a chance.

Those unplanned trips like you are making are always the BEST.
Last edited by hilltop170 on Wed Aug 01, 2007 7:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Richard Pulley
2014-2016 TIC170A Past President
1951 170A, N1715D, s/n 20158, O-300D
2023 Best Original 170A at Sault Ste. Marie
Owned from 1973 to 1984.
Bought again in 2006 after 22 years.
It's not for sale!
sloPoke

Post by sloPoke »

Thanks Richard, I'm working on getting more on the web site. I added more, but now I can't get back on it for some reason.
After I left Oshkosh I made a short flight over to Portage, WI to get some cheaper fuel and to get a hotel room to try to shake the cold I came down with at Oshkosh. Then I flew on down to Lincoln, NE to visit more air racers. Did a couple of nights there and headed for CO.
The convective activity was pretty widespread in the rockies and I opted for stopping at Spanish Peaks for some gas. Had to fuel up and go as a huge cell was bearing down on the airport. Got out of there and found a gap between cells to get over into the valley with Alamosa. I had wanted to do the northern part of the state but will have to save it for the next pass through. Maybe in the fall when the CB's calm down.
Went on into St. John AZ to get some more of that cheaper gas. I was going to spend the night there but nobody was at the airport at 4:50pm. You can't even fuel it yourself. Called some friends in Prescott and they said to come on over. Had to dodge some more CB's and got the bugs washed off the plane, but made it in with enough fuel and in time for happy hour.
More later,
Charlie
sloPoke

Oshkosh 170's

Post by sloPoke »

I'm going to try to insert some photos I took of other 170's at Oshkosh. here's the first test.

akflyer

Post by akflyer »

Are you going to make it to the Copperstate?
1948 C-170