big tail on ragwings?

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

patrick

big tail on ragwings?

Post by patrick »

I've been looking at a nice-but-somewhat-unusual ragwing that is for sale. It has the big dorsal fin and I am wondering if this was a production option in '48, or if there is an stc to allow this, or must it have been done on a field approval. There is nothing in the logs (makes me a little suspicious) to shed any light on this.

I have seen pictures of other '48 ragwings with the "big tail" but without knowing what's involved to make it legal I am a little anxious about the prospect of purchasing some big trouble. Otherwise the airplane is a fairly clean and well equipped low time bird that I would consider making an effort to acquire. Any pertinent info on this ragwing/bigtail configuration would really be helpful and most appreciated. Thanks in advance!
zero.one.victor

Post by zero.one.victor »

I have seen quite a few ragwings with the dorsal-style tail.Mine has it. I don't think it was put on any ragwings by the factory.
There is nothing in my logbooks specifically about installing a dorsal. I do have a 337 from when the airplane was extensively rebuilt in 1960 after a wreck,the back of the 337 is about filled up with type-written description of repair work done. I assume that's when the dorsal was installed.The first two lines read:
"Aircraft completely rebuilt after landing accident of 29 October 1959. Fuselage assembly--complete replaced with used airworthy fuselage assembly--complete part number 0510000-50 from Univair,Denver Colorado". That's what I call a COMPLETE rebuild!
I don't think I'd worry about it. Does the TCDS specifically include or exclude the dorsal-style tail for any model 170? Probably doesn't require an STC or field approval,just a logbook entry or at most a 337.

Eric
mit

Post by mit »

It is in the TCDS to allow the install of B model Vertical stab on the 48. So its just a log book entry.
Tim