Monarch Fuel Inlet Riser Shields

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

wa4jr

Monarch Fuel Inlet Riser Shields

Post by wa4jr »

I was about to order a Classic 120/140 vented cap for my 170 from Monarch. Then I noticed the Classic Caps and Riser Shield kit for the 150/172. I'm told that a field approval can be had for the kit on the 170. I like the idea of keeping standing water out of the "moat" around the fuel filler neck...especially since I am tied down outside this winter. Has anyone had any experience installing the Monarch riser shields on their 170???
John, 2734C in Summit Point, WV
doug8082a

Post by doug8082a »

I installed them a couple years ago on my '52 170B. No fuel leaks, no water in the tanks, no problems. The only caveat might be the fact that an epoxy is used (in conjunction with the screws) to bond the riser to the panel that covers the tank and to the tank filler neck. I'm not sure how you'd go about removing them if you had to get back inside, but I'm sure there's a way if necessary. I installed them after having removed the tanks and priming the compartment, so I figured I wouldn't be back in there any time soon (I hope).

I couldn't speak to the issue of installing them on a 170 (having never seen one up close), so I don't know if the epoxy part of the process would be an issue on a ragwing.

Aside from that, it's money well spent.

My 2 cents,
Doug
wa4jr

Post by wa4jr »

I suppose I should clarify the fact that I have a 170B....just to lazy at the time of the post to type the B :roll: I have received word from Monarch that the riser kit is indeed certified for the 170B...but glad you mention the epoxy. The info from Monarch calls it "non-structural adhesive". I will ask about service procedures if one needs to open up the top of the wing for service.
John, 2734C in Summit Point, WV
Dave Clark

Post by Dave Clark »

Epoxy will soften with a propane torch but then so might the rest of the plane! HE HE
Dave
N92CP ("Clark's Plane")
1953 C-180
N2255D

Post by N2255D »

I installed the Monarch caps and risers on my 52 170B a couple years ago. I haven't had any water since and only occasionally when it its really rough and the tanks are full do I get overflow. It is coming out of the mast and not the caps. The only thing I did different in installing the risers was to take the tank covers off and epoxy the riser to the bottom of the cover. This way if I need to pull the cover for any reason I only have to deal with the seal around the filler neck. The riser will come off with the cover.