Insurance confusion

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

eichenberger

Insurance confusion

Post by eichenberger »

I posted the "Which AIG" topic to start a discussion, because I find that most aircraft owners are heartily confused about these identities. I'm an aviation defense lawyer who works with insurance companies, so let me try to sort it out.
USAIG stands for United States Aircraft Insurance Group. They are an underwriter, managed by another company called USAU, for United States Aviation Underwriters. They write large aircraft, airlines, corporate filight departments, etc, in addition to small aircraft. The policy itself could be on any number of insurance companies in their group.
AIG, the agency, in Bethany Okla., is just that, an independent insurance agency. They are no more or less than any other good agency. They are not underrwriters, and are not an insurance company. They can take one's business to the major aviation insurers, just like any other good agency can do. Why they chose a name so confusing with AIG Aviation, with whom they have no connection, other than being an agency with whom AIG Aviation will deal, as it will with dozens, if not hundreds of others, is outside of my knowledge.
AIG Aviation is part of the American International Group, a mega insurance conglomerate; one of the biggest in the world. They were the first American insurer to be allowed to do business in China many years ago. They are NOT related to USAIG in any way, but the two are competitors. AIG Aviation will write its policies on any number of companies owned by "big AIG", including Insurance Co. of the State of PA., and others.
The point is - know with whom you're dealing. AIG Aviation will not sell directly to the aircraft owner, or other insured. Only Avemco does that, of the major aviation insurers.
Hope this helps eliminate some confusion caused by the similar names, or abbreviaiton of names.
Jerry Eichenberger
Jerry Eichenberger
Columbus, Ohio
jeichenberger@ehlawyers.com