Tailspring & Steering Springs

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

N1478D

Post by N1478D »

Does anybody have a web address for the Scott 3200 tailwheel people?
Joe
51 C170A
Grand Prairie, TX
n3833v

Scott

Post by n3833v »

zero.one.victor

Post by zero.one.victor »

George,re: steering springs,you said
"....as the airplane is loaded (or simply landed hard) the tension springs will only continue to stretch,while the compression springs will come against their stops,forwarding their now-rigid shock onto the tailspring bracket."
First of all,you kinda lost me about the steering springs stressing the tailspring bracket.The steering spring bone ain't connected to the tailspring bone!
Secondly,go out to your airplane and check the tension of your steering chains. Then,jack the tail off the ground--put the jack under the tailspring bracket of the tail cone. Now check the tension on your steering chains again. If your airplane is like mine,the chains are TIGHTER with the tail off the ground. Ipso facto,I assume that when the tailspring is flexed (ala heavy loading or hard landing) the chains are looser not tighter. This is opposite from some of not most other tailwheel airplanes. This is the "slack" I was treferring to when I suggested that the tension springs can accidently come unhooked.

Eric
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

I wnnt to high school with Ipso and wondered why he missed the reunnion. I didn't realize he'd moved to Wa. state. :wink:
I wasn't very clear on that, I agree. I was actually thinking of the stresses applied when airborne, and the "rebound" effect of landings, with regard to the compression springs. And you are probably correct as I reconsider it. It probably puts more stress on the rudder bellcrank. Either way, I wouldn't consider compression springs on my airplane.
wa4jr

Post by wa4jr »

Seems like a good argument to stick to wheel landings to be kinder to your tailwheel unit :) Of course I like this idea as I have only once in 65 hours been able to force myself to do a three pointer :cry: Perhaps my weakness on three point landings is actually a strength :? I'll go out and ask my tailwheel what it thinks :roll:
John, 2734C in Summit Point, WV
zero.one.victor

Post by zero.one.victor »

I generally wheel land my airplane,especially in any kind of cross wind,but make an effort to be current with 3 pointers as well. I like to 3 point onto grass,even when I know it's dry. I definitely 3 point if I have any suspicion about the landing surface being soft. Might not be too hard to nose it over if ya hit a boggy place,especially if you were trying to "stick it on" after a bounce or whatever. I usually flare a little for a tail-low wheel landing,but a lot of people believe in the "fly it on" method which can result in a pretty abrupt arrival. What ever works for ya,I guess.

Eric
wa4jr

Post by wa4jr »

No, I AM NOT "Fearless Freddy" with the "stick it on" method. I TRY every time to do a three point landing....I really do, but all I get is a tail low wheel landing :? I've seen others who try too hard and touch with the tailwheel first and I can just hear the little Scott 3200 cry :cry:
John, 2734C in Summit Point, WV
N1478D

Post by N1478D »

My IA came by to inspect the work done so far and he took a look at the two pieces of the broken tailspring. He found a small rust spot, about the size of this - 0 - with stress lines leading away from it. His comment was that if the spring had been zinc chromated, it probably wouldn't have broken. The new spring, already on the plane, has been primed with zinc chromate and painted. Wondering if when the landing gear is inspected, if it would be a good idea to zinc chromate them? Also, would it be good to have the legs shot peened?
Joe
51 C170A
Grand Prairie, TX