Survey of Cool Vehicles Owned During Marrige

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

Harold Holiman

Survey of Cool Vehicles Owned During Marrige

Post by Harold Holiman »

I found this survey on another forum and I thought it might be of interest just for fun :D It does mention airplanes. It does not have a key but I think it is supposed to indicate how compatable your spouse is to vehicle hobbies.

SURVEY:
How many of each of the following cool type vehicles have you owned during your married life? 1. Antique cars or trucks 25yrs old+___ 2. Tractors___ 3. Boats___ 4. Four wheel drive vehicles___ 5. Convertibles___ 6. Airplanes___ 7. Motorcycles___

Since my wife is very compatable to my vehicle hobbies, I'll start off the survey.
Antique cars or trucks/5, Tractors/6, Boats/3, Four wheel drives/4, Convertibles/4, Airplanes/3, Motorcycles/0

Harold H :lol:
Mbr#893
flyguy

WISH I HAD SOME OF THEM BACK!

Post by flyguy »

How many of each of the following cool type vehicles have you owned during your married life?
1. Antique cars or trucks 25yrs old+_8__
2. Tractors_5__
3. Boats_9__
4. Four wheel drive vehicles_10__
5. Convertibles_4__
6. Airplanes_7__
7. Motorcycles_10__
And at one time my son and I had 15 Volkswagens, twelve of them running and licensed! Four of them were full bodies, four baja bugs, two were station wagons and one we made into a little pickup and two were sand rails. This was all before we had mandatory liability insurance!
Bill Venohr

Post by Bill Venohr »

I'm impressed--my wife hates to fly although she does like old cars and motorcycles. I've had one old car, one old boat, and two 4-wheel drives. When we married my wife had two motorcycles and a pickup. The only plane I've owned is my 170.
Bill Venohr
N4044V
Aurora, CO
Joe Dickey

Post by Joe Dickey »

This is counting ALL wives...right?!

Antique car/truck: 11 (still have '49 Willis jeep and '70 Cutlass plus most parts for '54 Ford P/U)

Tractors: 4 (over 25 PTO HP...can't count garden tractors with shoes on)

Boats: 5

4WD vehicles: 31 (still have 5 not counting ATVs)

Convertible: 1

Airplanes: 4 (plus 3/4 of an RV 4 complete)

Motorcycles: 6 (have 2 with '03 Harley on order)
Joe Dickey
C 170
N1948A
flyguy

JOE WHERE U LIVE

Post by flyguy »

GONNA FIND OUT WHERE U LIVE AN VISIT U. U SOUND LAK A SOLE BRO. GOOD STUFF X CEPT NO TRAKTERS OVER 20 HP ALOWED. IN 4X4S, I FERGOT TO COUNT A OLD JEEP TRUK I HAD FER A WHILE. IT WAS A CF7 - - ER SUMPTHIN. ME AN MY BOY WAS FIXIN IT UP TO PUT A SNO PLOW BLADE ON IT. WE WUZ WHIZZIN DOWN THE ROAD AWAYS AFTER WE GOT IT RUNNIN WHEN THE COOLANT TANK BUSTED AND FILLED THE CAB WITH STEAM AN ANTIFREEZE! WE RUN OFF THE RODE CUZ WE CUDNT SEE.

(ADDENDUM: This was when we lived north of Kansas City, Missouri and had lots of that nasty white stuff to deal with in the wintertime. Thas stuff is why I now reside in Louisiana! ..... oysters, crawfish, catfish and anything else that tastes good in the summer always tastes better in the winter!)
Last edited by flyguy on Sat Dec 07, 2002 2:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Harold Holiman

Snowploy in Louisiana?

Post by Harold Holiman »

Flyguy,

What in the world were you going to do with a snowplow on a Jeep in the swamps of Louisiana? :roll: Maby it would clear the alligators and snakes out of the road.

Harold :lol:
N1478D

Re: Snowploy in Louisiana?

Post by N1478D »

Harold Holiman wrote:Flyguy,

What in the world were you going to do with a snowplow on a Jeep in the swamps of Louisiana? :roll: Maby it would clear the alligators and snakes out of the road.

Harold :lol:
He ran it backwards! You ever hear of the saying "it sure is getting deep around here?" . . .

Sure wish I still had that '56 Ford with the 312 Police Interceptor engine. :cry: A green "51 pickup would sure be fun to go to the airport in to jump in the '51 Cessna. 8)
Joe
51 C170A
Grand Prairie, TX
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

I once bought a green '51 Ford pickup from the Federal Agriculture Dept. for $150. It had a steel plate bed floor, a straight six, 3-speed transmission, 16.5" wheels, and 6-volt, positive-ground battery beneath the passenger floorboards. It's body was made of heavy-guage steel, and it had a brand new AER longblock engine in it. The windows were laminated safety-glass all around. The Dept. of Agriculture shield logos were still on the doors, and the maintenance logs in the glove box. It had a new spare generator and starter stored behind the seat, and a FM two-way radio with 3 gov't frequency crystals in it. Only one tail-light,...a little round red thing at the left rear that doubled as a license plate holder, and steel channel for a rear bumper with a heavy chrome-plated spring-like bumper up front.
I once swerved off the freeway to avoid running over a girl on a Honda scooter and wiped out one of those corrugated-steel guardrails mounted on creosoted posts. It tore the hell out of that guard rail and only scratched the paint on the left front steel fender. They don't make pickups like that anymore.
I wish I'd kept that truck, but my brother lost his job and needed a loan, so I sold it to a car dealer for $150 after driving it for two years. :cry: That was 1971.
n3833v

"48" vehicles

Post by n3833v »

Well you ALL. I have a "48" Federal 1 ton to restore so I can drive to the airport to fly my "48" Ragwing. It has only 52K origional miles and was stored inside as a beer delivery truck. The ragwing is getting some new make over for the convention.
John - n3833v
Watkinsnv

Post by Watkinsnv »

2 convertable sports cars - bugeyed sprite and a MGA
6 FWD's and a 48 Ford PU
2 planes Cessna 140A and 170B
1 67 Firebird 400
Now I am storing more than I am restoring a 35 Ford PU as a airport truck
8) Lance
Last edited by Watkinsnv on Sat Dec 07, 2002 3:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Joe Dickey

Post by Joe Dickey »

Flyguy reply.....we're tied down at W29 right next to the Chesepeake Bay Bridge...always welcome and I know you must eat raw oysters in the winter and crawdads in the summer. #1 son has an 8 pt hangin in the shop he got a couple hundred yards behind the house that will be steaks and jerky by Monday.

The discussion of the '51 by George reminded me of a '36 Plymouth Coupe I dropped an old 409 Chevy into a bunch of years back...ran like a scalded duck without pampers!!...wish I had that back along with a replay of the memories of what happened in the rumble seat....think I remember right. :roll:
Joe Dickey
C 170
N1948A
Harold Holiman

Airport car

Post by Harold Holiman »

A number of years back, when we still lived in Greenville, Mississippi, I restored a 1949 Studebaker Starlite Coupe for my brother who lived in Memphis at the time. Whenever we would fly to Memphis in our 170A, he would leave the Studebaker at the airport for me to use while there. I would tell people "I was the only person in modern times flying into Memphis International Airport in a 49 model airplane with a 49 model rent a car waiting for me at the airport".

Harold H
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Hey, Russ!! Another Studebaker aficionado!!
Harold! I had a '51 two-door Starlight Coupe myself! It was a great car, with a 6 cyl. Continental and Hill-Holder! What a great car. Girlfriends didn't know if I was coming.....or going! 8) (heh-heh).
russfarris

Post by russfarris »

OK,here's my list of toys, before, during and after marriage!

Airplanes: 1946 Stinson 108, and of course my 1952 Cessna 170B

Cars: 1950 Plymouth, 1952 Kaiser Manhattan, TWO 1957 Studebaker Golden Hawks, 1960 Studebaker Lark, 1963 Studebaker Lark, 1963 Studebaker Pickup, 1964 Studebaker Pickup, 1966 Studebaker Cruiser, 1963 Studebaker GT Hawk, 1964 Studebaker Avanti and a 1965 Rambler Marlin! Currently I only have the 1963 GT, 1964 Avanti and a 1966 Olds Toronado. For brevity, I left out the parts cars!

And a 1981 Thundercraft boat, which some friends have the audacity to call "old"! Russ Farris
All glory is fleeting...
N1478D

Post by N1478D »

Many motorcylces, but the one I'll never stop remembering was a green '66 Triumph Tiger 650 with some small modifications and running very strong. Not a terrific top end, but it could get to 90 so fast that it made your heart race and your breath go away.

8) One of those small modifications was a switch that turned the tail light off, barely needed with the slow police cars of NW Arkansas at that time. 8) :oops:
Last edited by N1478D on Sun Dec 08, 2002 9:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Joe
51 C170A
Grand Prairie, TX