Fuel Capacity on a 51 170A

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

km74

Fuel Capacity on a 51 170A

Post by km74 »

Here is another silly question, just one of many more that I will be asking as I put more hours on my plane. My placard by the fuel valve says I have 37 gallons capacity 18.5 in each tank. Is my placard wrong? I was under the impression that every 170 after 1949 had 42 gallons capacity. Can someone shed some light on this for me. Also is there a manufacturer that makes an auxillary tank for the 170? I like to stay up a long time before I come down. Thanks.

Ken
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

I've moved this topic from The Hangar to The Pilot Lounge because I felt it was more appropriately a general discussion topic rather than a maintenance topic. (Primarily because it's an "informed pilot" issue.)
If you don't have a copy of the TCDS (Type Certificate Data Sheet) then you should get one. http:www.faa.gov/
The TCDS gives all the important data about your airplane. You should also get 1) The Illustrated Parts Catalog 2) The Cessna 100 Series Service Manual 1962 and Prior 3) The 170A Owner's Manual, all three are available from Aircraft Spruce 877/477-7823.
Without reading all those documents you do not know all you should about your airplane. They will answer virtually every question.
For example, they all tell you that your airplane has 42 gallons of fuel, 37 of which is useable. (And that is why your placards says so.)
Dave Clark

Post by Dave Clark »

Ken

Cruising at 7-8,000 ft and 2500rpm properly leaned I can go a four hour leg with a 45 minute reserve. Just how long did you want to stay up?

To answer your question though yes there is an aux fuel tank by Javelin Aircraft that fits on the floor of the baggage compartment. It's 18 gallons and transfers into the right wing tank after you burn that one off. It's actually on the type certificate as a factory option so a log book entry is all that's required. I am installing one now because I'm converting to a Lycoming 180 hp. Gee with the Javelin and a C-145 you could stay up for say 6.5 hrs with 45 minutes reserve!
Dave
N92CP ("Clark's Plane")
1953 C-180
km74

Post by km74 »

Dave,

Where did you purchase this tank? How much was it for installation and for the tank itself? I like flying for long periods north of town here and want the extra range for flying into remote strips, camping out for the night and having the extra fuel for local flying around where I am camping. I am also planning on flying over the Nahanni river next summer and because of the remoteness of it I can't just land and buy fuel in the middle of nowhere and if I want to go check out something along the route that I see, I want the extra fuel. I don't like having to put jerry cans behind the seat, it makes me nervous for some reason. Thanks for the reply.

Ken
N1478D

Post by N1478D »

Hi Ken,

I don't know anything about these folks, but they advertise in TAP.

Long Range Aux Fuel Tanks - Internal tip tanks for the 170 $3,904.
Flint Aero Inc. (619) 448-1551 flintaero.com

:lol: If you are flying over the Nahanni River and you look down and see a 170 rudder laying there, let me know :lol:
Joe
51 C170A
Grand Prairie, TX
43a72v

Post by 43a72v »

Regarding installation of an aux fuel tank needing only a logbook signoff, FAR 43 appendix B paragraph (d) states:
(d) For extended-range fuel tanks installed within the passenger compartment or a baggage compartment, the person who performs the work and the person authorized to approve the work by § 43.7 of this part shall execute an FAA Form 337 in at least triplicate. One (1) copy of the FAA Form 337 shall be placed on board the aircraft as specified in § 91.417 of this chapter. The remaining forms shall be distributed as required by paragraph (a)(2) and (3) or (c)(1) and (2) of this paragraph as appropriate. (Secs. 101, 610, 72 Stat. 737, 780, 49 U.S.C. 1301, 1430)
Josh
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Also don't forget to place an external placard identifying the internal tank, it's capacity, and approved fuels, not only for FAA but for U.S. Customs should you cross borders. (U.S. Customs consequences for internal fuselage fuel without external placards.)
N1478D

Post by N1478D »

gahorn wrote:I've moved this topic from The Hangar to The Pilot Lounge because I felt it was more appropriately a general discussion topic rather than a maintenance topic. (Primarily because it's an "informed pilot" issue.)
If you don't have a copy of the TCDS (Type Certificate Data Sheet) then you should get one. http:www.faa.gov/
The TCDS gives all the important data about your airplane. You should also get 1) The Illustrated Parts Catalog 2) The Cessna 100 Series Service Manual 1962 and Prior 3) The 170A Owner's Manual, all three are available from Aircraft Spruce 877/477-7823.
Without reading all those documents you do not know all you should about your airplane. They will answer virtually every question.
For example, they all tell you that your airplane has 42 gallons of fuel, 37 of which is useable. (And that is why your placards says so.)
Another handy publication to have that a lot of Pilot Shops carry is the AC 43.13-1B/2A ACCEPTABLE METHODS, TECHNIQUES, AND PRACTICES
AIRCRAFT INSPECTION, REPAIR & ALTERATIONS
from the U.S. Department of Transportatioon FAA. Was about $19. It is a big book, but some of it is on subjects like wood, fabric, etc.
Joe
51 C170A
Grand Prairie, TX
n2902d

Aux tank paperwork

Post by n2902d »

I asked my I.A. last year about the 337 requirement for fuel tanks in the passenger compartment, since I too have a Javelin tank behind the back seat to feed my Lycoming. He told me that the 337 requirement refers to "Ferry Tanks", and that my logbook entry for the Javelin installation done in '84 is all that's required. Topic for discussion?

Mike Dumais
N2902D
zero.one.victor

Post by zero.one.victor »

Just because something is listed as approved in the type certificate,doesn't necesarily mean that no 337 is required for installation,just that no STC is required.
For example,the 165 horse Franklin engine is listed as approved on the TC,but if you were to install one in place of your C-145 I think that would be considered a "major repair or alteration" and would require a 337.
Just my opinion.....

Eric
43a72v

Post by 43a72v »

The black and white of 43 App. B (d) does not state "ferry" tanks. It specifically states "extended-range fuel tanks." Besides, if it's on the TC, then a PMI shouldn't have any problem with the 337 and just send it on through. Seems like the ultimate decision would be the feds, but I read it as any fuel tank added to a passenger/cargo compartment for any reason.
Josh
Dave Clark

Post by Dave Clark »

Should take me all of 15 minutes to do the 337. Thanks for pointing it out. BTW the tank is installed, tested, and works great! It can also be removed easily (15 minutes) if you want the full baggage area. Now let's talk about log entrys, W&B, 337's etc for that! (Kinda like the rear seat) No let's not.
Dave
N92CP ("Clark's Plane")
1953 C-180