Camping under the wing etiquette

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

Iceman07

Camping under the wing etiquette

Post by Iceman07 »

Well, 40C is finally complete. First flight is tommorow (Wednesday) if the WX holds up.

I am planning our summer flying adventures, and so far we are planning on the fly-in at Lees Bottom in June, and the Antique Airplane Fly-in at Blakesburg in September.

But I was wondering, as I've never done a flying adventure like this:

What is the etiquette for camping out under the wing at grass strips? (Not where the fly-ins are, but just stopping along the way) Do I need to call ahead to get permission? Are most operators/owners pretty happy to let you camp out over night?

Of course, Lees Bottom is a fairly easy one day trip from HFD, but Blakesburg would be either one really long day or two short days. Any suggestions for friendly grass strips between HFD and Blakesburg?
N5740C 1950 'A' Model
bradbrady

Post by bradbrady »

Iceman,
You're always welcome to stay at IL51.......But that is only about 1.5 hours from Blakesburg...If that..........
bsdunek

Post by bsdunek »

We have flown to and all over Alaska, Blakesburg, Torchport, Beaver Island (here in Michigan), and many other areas. We have never had a problem camping under the wing. I do always ask someone of authority at the airport, and assure them we will leave things as clean or cleaner than before. Most times they will either leave the terminal building open or give us the code to get in. That way we can use the rest room, coffee pot, or get inside if the weather turns bad.
Just ask, or if concerned, call ahead.
Bruce
1950 170A N5559C
N4064V

Post by N4064V »

Iceman
If your travels find you in Northwest Indiana your welcome to camp at my private strip.
Hope to see you at Lee Bottom!
Mick Capouch
N4064V
MoonlightVFR

WING CAMPING

Post by MoonlightVFR »

If using a sleeping bag be sure it is for the "SEASON" I once spent a terrible night in a down filled bag July 80 degrees at night. Hiding from mosquitoes. My stash of insect repellant was aerosal 5 yrs old. Didn't work.

You can have a real good time camping out under the wing. Do it more than once and it becomes a Tail Dragger "slumber" party.

However, be careful , be wise - some one in the party -Captain that's you! Has go to remember NOT to hang a Coleman Lantern on the tie down ring of the wing strut. I know, it is so inviting , just look at it. Just remember the fuel contained in the tank above your sleeply head. I don't remember the kinetic conversion but I suspect on average about 40 sticks of dynamite.

Have fun Be careful

regards
gradyb, '54 B N2890C
Kyle Wolfe

Post by Kyle Wolfe »

The AOPA airport directory does mention if the airport allows underwing camping. I've found that the smaller the airport the more friendly to camping. You'll enjoy it. A folding bike or two will greatly aid in your ability to get places once you're there.

Buy gas and spend some $ in town if possible!

Check this out! You'll enjoy seeing Barry and Karen Miller doing what they love to do - camp with their 170.

http://www.sojournchronicles.com/?p=112
Kyle
54 B N1932C
57 BMW Isetta
Best original 170B - Dearborn, MI 2005
jrenwick

Post by jrenwick »

Thanks, Kyle! I really enjoyed that. Made me want to run right out in the snow and buy a tent and folding bicycles! 8O

John
John Renwick
Minneapolis, MN
Former owner, '55 C-170B, N4401B
'42 J-3 Cub, N62088
'50 Swift GC-1B, N2431B, Oshkosh 2009 Outstanding Swift Award, 2016 Best Continuously Maintained Swift
Iceman07

Post by Iceman07 »

N4064V wrote:Iceman
If your travels find you in Northwest Indiana your welcome to camp at my private strip.
Hope to see you at Lee Bottom!
Hi Mick!

I just did a quick flight plan, and your a little over 6 hours from HFD, just about right for our first day going to Blakesburg! We are planning on leaving the Tuesday (August 26) before the fly-in.

Thanks, all of you for the words of encouragement. I am so looking forward to getting some time in this Spring/Summer/Fall.
N5740C 1950 'A' Model
170C

Airplane Camping

Post by 170C »

Kyle, that video on the Miller's was quite interesting--maybe we need to get them to fly down to Petit Jean this year. What do you think? My only question is how do they get all of that camping gear in a 170? I know I have put a lot of stuff in my plane and Joe Harris probably got more in his, but I saw 2 recliners, 2 folding chairs, a table/chair fold up unit, ice chest, 2 fold-up bikes, grill, dishes/pans, 2 sleeping bags, clothes & a tent. WOW :!:
OLE POKEY
170C
Director:
2012-2018
jrenwick

Re: Airplane Camping

Post by jrenwick »

170C wrote:Kyle, that video on the Miller's was quite interesting--maybe we need to get them to fly down to Petit Jean this year. What do you think? My only question is how do they get all of that camping gear in a 170? I know I have put a lot of stuff in my plane and Joe Harris probably got more in his, but I saw 2 recliners, 2 folding chairs, a table/chair fold up unit, ice chest, 2 fold-up bikes, grill, dishes/pans, 2 sleeping bags, clothes & a tent. WOW :!:
I think they put the bikes in the basement. You did know the 170 model has a basement, didn't you? I think Cessna dropped that when they went to the 172. :D
John Renwick
Minneapolis, MN
Former owner, '55 C-170B, N4401B
'42 J-3 Cub, N62088
'50 Swift GC-1B, N2431B, Oshkosh 2009 Outstanding Swift Award, 2016 Best Continuously Maintained Swift
Kyle Wolfe

Post by Kyle Wolfe »

Barry and Karen were at Petit Jean 2 years ago. His yellow bird is pretty sweet and they're great people.

We'll have to get Barry to chime in and specify what he's got for stuff and weight. I know he doesn't have a baggage door so it all goes in behind/over the seat.
Kyle
54 B N1932C
57 BMW Isetta
Best original 170B - Dearborn, MI 2005
AR Dave

Post by AR Dave »

I've called all the coaches and told them that my kids aren't playing summer sports this year. We are going to vacation all over, with Mt Rushmore, Yellowstone, Grand Canyon, being on the list. We'll also be in Branson for the Convention. Trying to decide weather to take mini-van or 170. Reckon we could circle the US visiting 170 friends? Might take the 170 if it's just 2 kids and I. I think it would be neat to travel around the US and report on this forum, every few days.

Frank, ya'll just got me thinking about the mountain. Atkins (tornado hit & killed a bunch of folks) is about 6 or 7 miles east of us, but MPJ is only 4-5 miles south of Atkins (basically across the river).
barry miller

Post by barry miller »

So you think you want to camp with your airplane? My wife and I absolutely love it! We have been all over the midwest with our C-170B. Our favorite is Washington Island Fish Boil usually held on the 3rd Saturday of July. Incidentally, the the video you have witnessed was produced by my brother who is a free-lance journalist in the Cinncinatti area. I must clarify that the two bag chairs belonged to him. We had gone there to bicycle the Little Miami River Bike Trail. I found this area by searching AOPA directory, just plug in camping on field and research the area attractions. That's when Red Stewart Field in Waynesville, Ohio came up. It is a great place with unbelievable character and grass roots aviation. Just to put the record straight, front seats contain 340 lbs. Our baggage load usually is around 260lbs. Sixty pounds of bicycles fit under the hat shelf(basement) the rest goes either on the floor in front of the back seat, under the seats on just piled on top. I do watch the weight and balance rather close. Sod strips and hot summer weather will make you work at it! We have several trips planned for this summer Petit Jean is on our list. Hope to see you all there. Barry & Karen
AR Dave

Post by AR Dave »

Tips for wing camping? After years of camping under a wing in Alaska, our first time in Arkansas is the one I remember. Condensate rained off the wing, on to us, during the wee hours!
jon s blocker

camping under the wing

Post by jon s blocker »

My advise, make a check list. My flying partner and I have camped under the wing several times. He is responsible for a few things, (tent, airmatress,icechest). First time we camped he forgot the tent stakes! Second time we camped, he did it AGAIN! Third time after several reminders to bring the stakes, we got there, he forgot the tent POLES! (Only Captain Morgan could smooth that one out)! :lol: We have a new tent and a list. Camping under the wing is realy enjoyable. HAVE FUN. Jon