Norfolk to Iowa stops?

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

Hawkeyenfo

Norfolk to Iowa stops?

Post by Hawkeyenfo »

Relocating the plane to Iowa next weekend and wondering if anyone has preferred stops along the route? Essentially, I'll be going from Norfolk, Va (PVG) through West Va, Ohio, Indiana, Ill and into Muscatine (MUT) for the night, then straight to Blair, Ne the following morning. Looking for suggestions on good fuel/food stops along the way!

Thanks!!!! 8)
Fly Navy !!!!

1941 Boeing PT-13D Stearman
1952 Cessna 170B
1960 Piper Aztec (PA23-250)
N4064V

Re: Norfolk to Iowa stops?

Post by N4064V »

Hawkeyenfo,
If you're going through Northern Indiana Fulton Co KRCR located in Rochester has a nice restaurant called Karens located on the south side of the field. Jasper Co located in Rensselaer KRZL has a courtesy car and several places close by. I won't be home and my grass strip is too wet right now or I would have you stop for a big fat T-Bone on the grill. Good Luck!
Mick Capouch
N4064V
tshort

Post by tshort »

Hawkeyeinfo-

Depending on the day if you stop at Eagle Creek (KEYE) - usually has somewhat reasonable fuel prices - I'll meet you for lunch in the 170. There is a nice restaurant just across the street from the field.

Thomas
Thomas Short
1948 C170 N3949V
RV-8 wings in progress
Indianapolis (KUMP)
k0al

Post by k0al »

I made about the same route last year. I stopped at Winchester, VA, Zanesville, OH, Knox, IN and Iowa City, IA.

Knox was about the cheapest fuel along the route (self serve at both Knox and Iowa City). If you have to RON, the Alexis Inn next to the IOW airport cater to pilot types with rooms decorated in various aviation themes!

regards

Al Culbert N5455C
barry miller

Post by barry miller »

Hey, Here's a good stop for fuel, Lincoln,(Logan County), Illinois AAA, The fuel is still $3.95 for 100LL self serve. Nice little airport with a museum if you're passing through on the weekend. If you need any help while in the area call me 309 370-1819 (cell.) Barry Miller
BARRY & KAREN MILLER
LINCOLN IL
N8303A 1952 C-170B
bmillercfi@gmail.com