Firewall Forward Detailing

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

barry miller

Firewall Forward Detailing

Post by barry miller »

I am currently going through a major engine overhaul. I am considering doing some detailing to the firewall (painting) :wink: and highlighting some of the components. Does anyone out there have something to share on experiences or methods that enhance the inner beauty of this classic 170?
BARRY & KAREN MILLER
LINCOLN IL
N8303A 1952 C-170B
bmillercfi@gmail.com
GAHorn

Re: Firewall Forward Detailing

Post by GAHorn »

Engine-turning the firewall is nice to look at. Gloss black is the nicest color for mounts, in my opinion. Firesleeve all the flexible lines. (pretty to look at and practical as well.)
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
cessna170bdriver

Post by cessna170bdriver »

Original firewalls are aluminum-coated steel, so they polish out nice. I painted my engine mount the same cream color as the base coat on the airplane. It isn't original :wink: , but I like the looks. I've never seen a cracked engine mount, but I would suspect that a crack would be easier to spot on on a light color.

Miles

Miles

“I envy no man that knows more than myself, but pity them that know less.”
— Thomas Browne
Curtis Brown

Post by Curtis Brown »

When I had my engine out for overhaul I painted the mount and firewall white. It is a clean look and makes it easy to spot drips of oil and cracked engine mounts. The harness wires are a bright yellow with all new scat hoses which are orange. All wiring was bundled together nicely and routed along the firewall. Also do all new control cables while you are at it.
Attachments
crack 1.jpg
crack 1.jpg (448.25 KiB) Viewed 3412 times
Curtis
1950 A model 1256D
hilltop170

Post by hilltop170 »

I agree lighter colors help identify problems. The by-product of fretting corrosion which commonly occurs with cracks under stress is a reddish color which is easier to see against lighter colors.

My engine mount was inspected and powder coated with aluminum color.

One comment on cleaning the firewall. The firewall's aluminized coating is very thin and can be scoured through without much effort. The shop that did my work had the most inexperienced guy in the shop do the cleaning. He used Scotch-Brite pads and maybe something coarser which rubbed through in several spots so that unprotected steel is on the surface. I am keeping a good coating of Corrosion-X on the firewall but if it ever breaks down, rusting could start. Just be careful and don't be too agressive.
Attachments
IMG_2729_1_1.JPG
IMG_2729_1_1.JPG (72.29 KiB) Viewed 3375 times
Richard Pulley
2014-2016 TIC170A Past President
1951 170A, N1715D, s/n 20158, O-300D
Owned from 1973 to 1984.
Bought again in 2006 after 22 years.
It's not for sale!
barry miller

Post by barry miller »

Thanks for the comments. I did like the light color idea, especially for the visual on problems. If I paint the firewall can it be alodined and coated with epoxy? I did clean it several years ago and kept it ragged with the" X". I've already ordered the slick mag kit with yellow wires as my airplane was painted in the 170B scheme with yellow stripes.
BARRY & KAREN MILLER
LINCOLN IL
N8303A 1952 C-170B
bmillercfi@gmail.com