Rigging Problem -revisited

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

Dr. Dave

Post by Dr. Dave »

Thanks again to everyone that offered suggestions on rigging "Charlie" a month or so back... I did fing an AME here in Victoria with quite a lot of experience so we did an annual and checked the rigging out.. Annual was interesting as I found a number of "small" items that had been missed or ignored for some time... Pitot tube line has a rubber connection about mid point in the wing... was supposed to have clamps on it.. Well there was one clamp there ,loose and bouncing up and down the line.... Spacers missing from tail wheel bearing assembly so that there was too much lateral play.. thats why my tail wheel was always so greasy... left flexable brake hose under the peddle was rubbing on a bulkhead and had quite a deep groove worn in it... Pull the plates and check them every year!!!

Now the rigging.. most things checked out pretty well with the book.. we did some fine tuning but the real problem came when the AME noticed that the left alleron was apparently a different size than the right!!! Seriously, the left alleron appears to be shorter in width from front to back edge... and thinner in depth at the front edge so that when viewed from behind with everything in neutral position there is a definite 1/2 to 1 inch gap (step) between the bottom skin of the wing and the bottom skin of the alleron???!!
This wing has always flown heavy and was the reason I wanted to check the rigging... It is obvious that this heavy wing condition was present for some time as the eccentric bolt on the rear wing attachment was set to give added lift to this side...
Does any one know if there are size differences in the allerons between the various 170 models??? Could someone have put a 170A alleron on this B model??
Any thoughts would be appreciated..

Dave

line was ru
N1478D

Post by N1478D »

Dave, first guess would be that the aileron was reskinned or rebuilt. Look at the rivits and see if they are the same type as the other aileron.
Joe
51 C170A
Grand Prairie, TX
Dr. Dave

Post by Dr. Dave »

N1478D wrote:Dave, first guess would be that the aileron was reskinned or rebuilt. Look at the rivits and see if they are the same type as the other aileron.
Thanks Joe..good point.. I do know that the hinges are slightly different on each side so it is possable that a repair was done... If it was reskinned.. how could they get the dimentions so far out??

dR. DAVE
N1478D

Post by N1478D »

Dave, possible they used the wrong skins, or it was not properly assembled. The P/N for an A model aileron is 0523800-1 for the assembly.
Joe
51 C170A
Grand Prairie, TX