Ferry Pilot?????

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

Hawkeyenfo

Ferry Pilot?????

Post by Hawkeyenfo »

Hi all,

Well, my much awaited cross-country trip to Iowa/Nebr was cancelled due to low ceilings over the smoky mountians near TN and rain/snow showers through Ohio/In :? I'm deploying next week and would like to know if anyone is interested in ferrying the plane from it's current location in Norfolk, Va to it's new hangar in Blair, Nebraska. If you're up for a little cross country and have some time, I'd like to chat with you. My brother is a 2200 hr CFI/MEII and would probably love to tag along (yes, he's not TW qual'd....dork...I told him to do it a long time ago!!!)

Thanks, Chris 8)
Fly Navy !!!!

1941 Boeing PT-13D Stearman
1952 Cessna 170B
1960 Piper Aztec (PA23-250)
blueldr

Re: Ferry Pilot?????

Post by blueldr »

Now I've heard everything. A 2200 hr CFI who is not qualified to fly a C-170! Ridiculous! Why in hell should the FUZZ give anyone a CFI who is not qualified to fly some of the simplest and most basic airplanes we have, such a J-3 Cub, Champ or Luscomb, etc.? I truthfully don't believe anyone should be rated a CFI under those circumstances.
BL
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

You really ought not to hold back, BluElder. You should go ahead and give it to us straight.

Chris, I admire your dorky brother for not attempting what he doesn't feel qualified to do! That'd be a really great cross country trip to make, but I'd surely caution you not to just trust your airplane to anyone who walks up and claims he can/will do it for you. It'd be better for your brother to hire a local and get checked out to satisfy the insurance co. and take it up there for you, in my opinion.
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
blueldr

Post by blueldr »

George,
Do you really believe that a pilot should be given a rating of "CERTIFIED FLIGHT INSTRUCTOR" if he is not qualified to even fly solo in a piper J3 Cub?

I think maybe they should be a "LIMITED FLIGHT INSTRUCTOR".
BL
jrenwick

Post by jrenwick »

Blu,

If the FAA were to take your suggestion seriously, I forsee some interesting things:

1. Sudden appreciation in value of all tailwheel aircraft :D
2. The decimation of the tailwheel fleet due to "runway excursion" accidents as they are flown by current CFIs trying to get their TW currency. 8O
3. Temporary shortage of junior regional airline pilots, because the supply will dry up while current CFIs stop building time because they're waiting their turn to fly a taildragger (assuming the one they're waiting for lasts long enough!) :roll:
4. Collapse of the General Aviation industry due to lack of instructors to train new pilots :evil:
5. Lots of smug enjoyment (schadenfreude?) for me, owner of three taildraggers! :lol:

Happy April Fool's!!!

John
John Renwick
Minneapolis, MN
Former owner, '55 C-170B, N4401B
'42 J-3 Cub, N62088
'50 Swift GC-1B, N2431B, Oshkosh 2009 Outstanding Swift Award, 2016 Best Continuously Maintained Swift
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

blueldr wrote:George,
Do you really believe that a pilot should be given a rating of "CERTIFIED FLIGHT INSTRUCTOR" if he is not qualified to even fly solo in a piper J3 Cub?

I think maybe they should be a "LIMITED FLIGHT INSTRUCTOR".

That would be like saying an Airline Transport Certificate or a Private PIlot's certificate should not be issued to anyone who couldn't fly/had flown in a Bleriot-10, a C-47, a Ford Tri-Motor, a DC6B, a Connie, a Concord, ....etc etc etc.

I heartily dis-agree. The BEST CFI I know has little or no time in the aircraft he commonly teaches. The best CFI's are great EDUCATORS who happen to know how to fly, rather than pilots who attempt to teach. Their own judgement as to what model aircraft they teach in is the best yardstick to judge their CFI capabilities by... not the particular type ratings or specific aircraft models in which they have experience.

In other words, a CFI certificate is only valid when accompanied by a pilot's certificate. It's the PILOT certificate which determines the aircraft qualifications of the CFI. The CFI certificate only testifies for /authorizes the holder to act as a CFI.... in the aircraft for which the holder is already qualified. I do not ascribe any greater/lesser capabilities to a CFI based upon which aircraft he feels competent/qualified in. I am far more impressed by the CFI who knows his qualifications, and limits himself to those aircraft. (There are many loopholes to the insurance business including, in many cases, the probability that a pilot may be disqualified in a particular model, but a pilot who holds a CFI certificate is exempt from the requirements ordinarily restricting other pilots. I have seen plenty of client's insurance policies which authorize me as PIC in their airplanes despite the fact I have no more time in the airplane (or much LESS in some cases) as the owner! 8O
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
flyguy

Post by flyguy »

Hawkeyenfo wrote:Hi all,
I'm deploying next week and would like to know if anyone is interested in ferrying the plane from it's current location in Norfolk, Va to it's new hangar in Blair, Nebraska. If you're up for a little cross country and have some time, I'd like to chat with you. My brother is a 2200 hr CFI/MEII and would probably love to tag along (yes, he's not TW qual'd....dork...I told him to do it a long time ago!!!)

Thanks, Chris 8)
YES - AN PAY NO ATTENTION TO GEORGE BOUT LETTIN SOME ONE WALK UP AN FLY YOUR BIRD AWAY! - - I WILL CRAWL UP TO YOU ON MY KNEES :P
OLE GAR SEZ - 4 Boats, 4 Planes, 4 houses. I've got to quit collecting!
Gary

Post by Gary »

Hey Chris, sorry to have missed you and a last formation flight together this week. The weather was not good as you know. Let me know if there is anything you would like me to do in reguards 39A. Wish you had more time to get the plane to Nebraska (maybe we could have flown together). I will be flying to Oshkosh mid July (for a wedding), then Denver, Columbia Missouri, then to OSK for the airshow, back to Columbia to pick up Charlie, then home..... lots of hours. I sure enjoyed the flying together. I will have to send you a clip of our last formation with the door off. Was fun. Gary