Light Plane MX Magazine

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

wa4jr

Light Plane MX Magazine

Post by wa4jr »

I just received a subscription solicitation from Light Plane Maintenance magazine. Has anyone found this magazine to be helpful in maintaining the C-170? I have just received the C-170 Book and SRAM book from the club and is seems these publications cover just about everything known to man regarding the C-170. Only $19.95 for a six month trial subscription, but I could use the fundage on something else if it seems Light Plane MX magazine is not going to be beneficial. Thoughts?
John, 2734C in Summit Point, WV
N3243A

Post by N3243A »

I've had a subscription for a year and half and I have mixed feelings. In fact my renewal has just come up and so far I have yet to send in my check. About every other issue has something relevant and most articles tend toward higher performance airplanes and complex systems. On the other hand I have often thought that reading about aviation in general is about the cheapest form of flying there is so subsription prices are just a nuisance and not a real expense. I guess a subsription to LPM would depend on your experience level with your airplane. If you are relatively new to airplane maintenance go for it.

One mans opinion, Bruce
sj

Post by sj »

I have found the magazine interesting, and helpful on a couple items for other airplanes. I instruct quite a bit in a lot of planes and have passed issues on to other owners.

The C170 documentation and support is UNPARALLELED in my opinion.

You People ROCK!

sj
1952 170B
Steve Johnson
Lake Waukomis, MO
Email: Steve (at) Supercub (dot) Org
blueldr

Post by blueldr »

Lightplane MX Mag.??? SAVE YOUR MONEY!
russfarris

Post by russfarris »

I've been getting Light Plane Maintenance for ten years. Yes, it is pricey.Yes, it seems to have recently leaned more towards things like de-ice boots and turbocharging.

But I have learned a great deal from it, and I enjoy the writing style, although it has become a little less bouncy and more pure technical in the last few years. If you aren't comfortable with changing your oil and spark plugs, it can have a great deal of helpful information.

I'll probably keep subscribing...I get enough out of it to make it worthwhile, to me anyway. Russ Farris
All glory is fleeting...
N1478D

Post by N1478D »

I really like the mag. Just one article could save hundreds of dollars if not more.
Joe
51 C170A
Grand Prairie, TX
wa4jr

Post by wa4jr »

Thanks for the opinions...from one end to the other and scattered in the middle! I think I will save my bucks for now. I am very comfortable with doing my own work...perhaps too comfortable when it comes to legality :(
I do have the good judgement to ask for help when I get to something I don't feel comfortable with, but if I am not careful my tendancy is to get carried away with projects on the airplane without worrying too much about legality. My nature is to do it myself and keep detailed logs because it is fun and a good learning experience. I sure envy our friends to the north being able to take their aircraft out of certificated status and into "owner maintained" status if they so desire. Oh well, perhaps one day our helpful FAA will let us do the same with our basic aircraft down here :roll: And just how long does it take a pig to grow wings anyway :?:
sj

Post by sj »

You can do that here too, isn't that called "experimental"?
1952 170B
Steve Johnson
Lake Waukomis, MO
Email: Steve (at) Supercub (dot) Org
zero.one.victor

Post by zero.one.victor »

No Steve,it's called "out of annual"! From what I hear,it ain't as easy to "take it experimental" as everybody seems to think. But I've seen a few certified planes that were experimental,usually it's something like the cessna 150 I saw recently with an experimental placard to go along with the 180 horse Subaru engine.

Eric
wa4jr

Post by wa4jr »

HUMMMMM....got my gears turning now :twisted: I suppose I will call the FSDO and see if I can indeed take my 170B to the experimental category. Would make the install of a PMA6000 audio panel easier as I would get to keep the warranty. ( I lose the warranty by installing it myself under the direction of an A&P in certificated aircraft...but not in an experimental) The avionics shops around here want about $1000 just to install the audio panel...don't even ask how much they want to install a KX155 and indicator! Has anyone taken the jump? I know the resale value would go down...but I am not planning on ever selling my bird. MX would be a lot better because I could then do a lot of smaller jobs that I am just not willing to have an A&P do...or just can't afford to have an A&P do in most cases. Thoughts or comments?

Aha! Silly me...just realized that I still have a loan on this aircraft and the bank won't like the idea of going experimental....oh well good research for when I pay off the loan.
Bruce Fenstermacher

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

John, I don't think you'll like the restrictions which can be imposed on your aircraft while it is in the experimental category which it can't stay for ever unless you continue doing research and development.
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
blueldr

Post by blueldr »

A certified airplane can only be changed to experimental for a specific purpose and may only be used for that purpose.
It cannot be used for "General Aviating" as is a homebuilt. It would very likely be restricted to a designated airport and a given radius from there.
BL
wa4jr

Post by wa4jr »

I suppose I don't have my experimental category definition quite right. I thought all homebuilt aircraft were in the experimental category and stayed there. I did not know that experimental is a temporary category. Oh well, back to the mound of FAA required paperwork. It has occured to me that perhaps I have the wrong mindset here. Instead of letting the FAA and their paperwork tangle get to me, I should look upon it as a challenge. I WILL complete the myriad of forms and continue to enjoy my 170 in spite of the FAAs best effort :twisted: Ha, I feel better already....gimme a stack of 337s :D
David Laseter

Light Plane Maintenance

Post by David Laseter »

I've been reading and re-reading a book put out by, Light Plane Maintenance.
Author Kas Thomas, Aircraft Engine Operating Guide - revised edition.
It's like listening to George for 200 pages. :D
Dave
Bruce Fenstermacher

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

John
I'm gone from memory here. I remember there being 4 catagories of experimental. One is homebuilt aircraft which will always be experimental. One is for exhibition aircraft like a P51 which would also always be experimental. One is for manufactures for development of aircraft not yet certified which will always be experimental. The last is for aircraft that are certified but have been modified for research and development. These aircraft could only be in the experimental catagory will R&D is being performed

All catagories have restrictions which differ with each catagory. As I understand it if you put your aircraft in the experimental catagory say while you tested an uncertified electrically controlled propeller that lots of us would like to have, you would have lots of restrictions as to how and where you could fly your plane. After a period of time the prop would either have to be removed or certified in some fashion ie STC or 337 and your plane removed from the experimental catagory.
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com