Light Plane MX Magazine

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

GAHorn

Re: Light Plane Maintenance

Post by GAHorn »

David Laseter wrote:I've been reading and re-reading a book put out by, Light Plane Maintenance.
Author Kas Thomas, Aircraft Engine Operating Guide - revised edition.
It's like listening to George for 200 pages. :D
Dave
If what Dave says is true, then clearly the subscription is not worth it!! :lol:

I receive LPM and enjoy it from a technical perspective, but I find very little applicable to 170's and a lot that is of interest only if you want to know why your TIO-540-J2BD Lycoming's fluctuating oil pressure results in a higher than normal fuel flow indication. :?
If your subscription dollars are tight, and you could only justify one or two other memberships, I'd suggest CPA and EAA if you like technical info, and CPA and AOPA if you like a mix of technical and legislative info. (mixed with sales hype about Malibu's, Diamonds, Glass cockpits, and Phil Boyer self-promotions.)
(One advantage of EAA membership is that some insurance policies will discount premiums, discard deductibles, etc. sufficiently to pay for the membership fee. The magazine always has good technical information regarding building and repairs.)
N1478D

Post by N1478D »

The February 2003 issue has some great articles:

""Owner 0-320 Overhaul" Many owners wonder if they could do the overhaul on the aircraft engine. Yes, but the benefits are not in dollars." Really an interesting article that is the first in a series.

""Engine Hose Routing" There are many casees of improper hose and cable routing in the engine compartment. It can be catastrophic" This article talks about how a simple mistake can lead to the expensive replacement of a motor mount due to chaffing. It talks about Adel Clamps, Koroseal, Padding, Tie Wraps, and routing guidlines.

""Replace a Crank Nose Seal" Tired of oil all over the windshield? It could well be the crankcase nose seal. Here's how to fix it properly"

""Borescope Examinations" This invaluable tool is used far too little in general aviation. We explain why it's a must for maintenance"
Joe
51 C170A
Grand Prairie, TX