'48 Ragwing fuel cap gaskets

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

Bill Venohr

'48 Ragwing fuel cap gaskets

Post by Bill Venohr »

Has anyone out there found a supplier for these? I've tried making them (probably out of less than satisfactory materials), but I still don't seal tight. I'm getting tired of cleaning fuel stains off the top of the wing, especially after a slip.
Bill Venohr
N4044V
Aurora, CO
zero.one.victor

Post by zero.one.victor »

Bill,on mine I use a B.A.O.R. (big-ass o-ring) for a cap gasket,and a smaller o-ring to seal the shaft that goes thru the cap & turns to lock the cap. The cap itself doesn't seem to leak,but the shaft is hard to get a seal on. Check your local True Value or Napa Airmotive.
I've got the 4th tank for a total of 50 gallons,so I have a lotta range even without topping them off. That seems to keep the leakage down to a minimum. It's a pain in the ass,but Simple Green takes the gas stains right off. I just learned to live with it.

Eric
N1478D

Post by N1478D »

Simple Green is corrosive to aluminum, as typing remembered you have fabric.
Joe
51 C170A
Grand Prairie, TX
BloomerJohn

Post by BloomerJohn »

Bill,
I found my caps leaked around the stem in the center. replace the o-ring and see if that helps you.
John
wa4jr

Post by wa4jr »

Simple Green corrosive to aluminum? I stopped by Auto Zone and read all the precautionary statements on the back of the Simple Green bottles and there was no corrosion advisory. No warning not to spray on aluminum, magnesium, painted or coated wheels. Is there another source of product info that tells us what compounds and products are corrosive to aluminum?

I see that the Cessna 170 Book says to use Fantastic for fuel stain cleanup. What a GREAT book!
John, 2734C in Summit Point, WV