Pop quiz...Fuel mgmt

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

David Laseter

Post by David Laseter »

Luckily I did have ailerons. The landing strip: you approach at 90 degs to the strip because of the mountains on both sides and REALLY must do a 600 ft landing. Base leg is over a thousand+ foot grand canyon and the strip is rising up hill perpendicular from the edge. It is intimidating, especially then, I couldn't have had 150hrs.. A long final to this strip would have to be right on the money with a left hand turn at short final. Oh and the ground rises 2000 ft in about 1/2 mile at the other end of the strip.
I make my 3 point landings by pulling back on the yoke. Does this change with a shallow glide landing or something?
Trim work in Reverse? I'm not sure what you mean?
Apparently that locked yoke incident happens every now and then.
I changed my Allen Wrench to a big red flag a few months back. But I read Georges post which states the hole in a 170 yoke is an Illegal Procedure anyway. :(
N1478D

Post by N1478D »

David, you know this - the trim pushes the elevator. With the elevator jammed, the trim changes to a very small elevator. Thus, your trim wheel would have to be turned in the opposite direction than you are normally use to turning it to fly with jammed controls. How did the horse riding go?
Joe
51 C170A
Grand Prairie, TX
David Laseter

Post by David Laseter »

My family is having a blast (without me) going over to Ozark and riding / taking lessons on my 14yr old daughter's new horse. I'll email you some pics. Traci bought a digital camera so I'll be able to take pictures of airplane equip also. I'm looking at -22f right now here at the end of the world. :cry:
I've never really thought about the trim working in reverse or at least to that extent. And I'm not putting the embarrased symbol here either. Thanks 56alpha, for mentioning the basics and Joe for explaining. At 15 ft off the ground Throttle was my immediate reaction, luckily the trim was clean. After I climbed 500 ft then I adjusted the trim. Just guessing, I might have started one direction and then reversed, looking for the desired results. Anyway, I got it right and it was a long 40 min flight thinking about how to land. I crossed midfield probably 700 ft AGL. And radio'd the supercub on the strip to get off. He said to give him a few minutes, that he really needed to get a load out first. When I said my controls were jammed, he scrammbled. Anyway, I put the trim back to neutral like it was when I took off. Eased off the throttle and was coming in nice, but with the strip being up hill, the nose was pointed a few degrees at the ground even in level flight. It's been awhile for remembering the details, but just as the mains were about to touch, I gunned it (raising the nose) and then pulled power stalling it right into a 3 point. The alder limb was jammed so hard we couldn't get it out by hand. We ended up sawing vertical and splitting it in half. Oh, if i was home I could add a picture that we took. THE END!
Thanks for the discussion, obviously I got something out of it. :wink:
N1478D

Post by N1478D »

Did you notice any speed increase, or flying quality improvements with something sticking up from the horizontal surface like thatt? :lol:

Sure glad you managed it well, that had to be a situation that raised the heartbeat rate.

This great weather, 70 degrees, we have had here DFW this past weekend was enjoyed in Northwest Arkansas too. Suppose to be a nice week. Hope you don't get back just in time for bad weather here.
Joe
51 C170A
Grand Prairie, TX