A short trip to Powers, Oregon

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

1SeventyZ

A short trip to Powers, Oregon

Post by 1SeventyZ »

sloPoke's 2008 Wandering thread inspired me to go back to Powers again, this time with my buddy in tow. He was home for a visit from his job in the UAE, and eager to do some swimming in water a little cooler than the Persian Gulf.

Here's the video... I thought you guys would enjoy because of the 170 footage. It's where I shot the calendar photo last summer, now a little drier in late July.

http://www.vimeo.com/1468015

You can close your eyes for the final landing back at Grants Pass...I have a hell of a time keeping it straight lately.
GAHorn

Re: A short trip to Powers, Oregon

Post by GAHorn »

Very interesting production, and format. Entertaining! Thanks for sharing, Zane. (Warning, immediately after viewing the video I suffered multiple warnings from my anti-virus package declaring that an attempt had been made to infect my computer.)
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
1SeventyZ

Post by 1SeventyZ »

That is really odd. Vimeo is a totally legitimate video hosting site that I use because it maintains far better quality than Youtube, and it accepts HD content. Does your antivirus give warnings on cookies being set?
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

I use AVG. Just as I left the vimeo site, "Microsoft Internet warning" appeared and attempted to download a program and run a scan. I did not authorize it, and it attempted to dnload and run anyway. I interrupted it and it issued a stern warning if I didn't download it. It used the MS firewall shield logo as it's letterhead. I don't use MS antivirus but I do keep it's firewall enabled.
I denied the dnload and had to cancel it several times before it quit it's attempts.
I am now going to leave IE and do a scan with AVG.
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
1SeventyZ

Post by 1SeventyZ »

gahorn wrote:I am now going to leave IE
That's about the best advice I could give. Firefox is vastly superior.
Paul-WI

Post by Paul-WI »

Cool video - really enjoyed the scenery. Makes me want to take a trip back to Oregon. By the way, I had no problem watching this and had no messages (I use IE 6.0 with AVG).

Thanks for sharing. I liked the camera mounted at the top of the wing strut. Bet you can get some awesome videos that way.

Paul
Paul
N3458D
Bruce Fenstermacher

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

Neat stuff Zane. Had no trouble viewing it with IE. George it must be your infectious personality getting the best of you. :D

Zane I'm intrigued by the sinking of your camera frame rate and your prop. Do you know the cameras frame rate? I just find this interesting and like to know what RPM your at specially when it appears the prop is stopped.
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Well, my AVG did a complete scan and found nothing at all. Perhaps it was just an attempt by microsoft to sell me something, and it came at an unfortunate time. I am impressed by Zane's video. Especially the aerial nudist colony shots. :wink:
sloPoke

Post by sloPoke »

Great video - Thanks.
Charlie
1SeventyZ

Post by 1SeventyZ »

gahorn wrote: Especially the aerial nudist colony shots. :wink:
Royce's camera can be set to time lapse mode, where it takes a single frame every 2 seconds, then compiles them into a movie. While we were sitting there he told me it was on time lapse and..I dunno...my frat boy subconscious briefly announced itself. :D

Bruce, I think it's shot at ~ 30fps. I have a cheap HD camcorder too, which shoots at 30 fps, but it has a terrible stroboscopic effect on the prop, making it appear like wavy horizontal blinds. The little Canon used for this doesn' do that, it just has the expected stroboscopic effects of making the prop look slow-moving, or stopped. I was approaching at just above idle, maybe 1000-1200 rpm with a few brief shots of throttle to adjust glideslope.
Forrest Walton

Post by Forrest Walton »

Hey Zane,

I enjoyed the videos.

I noticed a couple of comments about chasing the centerline. Russ Farris was having a similar problem with his 1952 170. He checked the wheel alignment and found the shims were installed backwards, causing a toe out problem. He realigned the gear and now says that it's like landing a different bird.

There should be a thread here about how he measured the alignment. Might not be the problem :) but maybe it will help.

Forrest
Living the Dream!
Bruce Fenstermacher

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

Zane 30 fps makes sense. That is 1800 fpm so your prop would be stopped at 900 and 1800 and 2700 rpm. At 900and 2700 rpm you are actually seeing the same blade every other time. If I've calcuated right anyway. 8)
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com