C-170 Paperwork

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

170C

C-170 Paperwork

Post by 170C »

George, at the maint. forum in Branson, one of the items you discussed was some paperwork that is "technically" required to be onboard the aircraft and you provided copies of the required item. Refresh me on what that item was. Also, venture a guess--------would that same paperwork be required on early 172's?
OLE POKEY
170C
Director:
2012-2018
GAHorn

Re: C-170 Paperwork

Post by GAHorn »

For all Cessna aircraft, the Type Certificate Data Sheet (TCDS) specifies the required equipment which (in addition to that req'd by FAR 91) must be aboard the aircraft for flight.

(Here is a downloadable copy of the TCDS for a Cessna 170):
A-799 Rev. 54.pdf
(317.65 KiB) Downloaded 1289 times
For the Cessna 170 aircraft, the TCDS specifies certain equipment applicable to each model (170/ 170A/ 170B), and in EACH aircraft (depending upon configuration) the TCDS requires a CURRENT Weight and Balance Report, and a copy of the Approved Flight Manual (AFM). It is this AFM that many airplanes are lacking. The AFM for a Cessna 170 model is a ONE-PAGE document (front/back) and is available from Cessna, or if a TIC170A member, available from Headquarters@cessna170.org or may be found at our Members Only page of these forums.

As for any other aircraft the TCDS may be found at: http://www.airweb.faa.gov/Regulatory_an ... enFrameSet

But for a C-172 here is a downloadable copy:
3a12 C172 TCDS.pdf
(194.11 KiB) Downloaded 485 times
Notice that each particular model of 172 has it's own unique requirement for Wt/Bal report, and that each model 172 has a unique requirement for an AFM, or in lieu of AFM, a specialized requirement for particular placards and instrument markings. You'll have to utilize YOUR aircraft's serial number to decipher what required documentation MUST BE ABOARD your airplane for flight.

Hope this helps.
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
170C

Post by 170C »

Thanks George. When I get back home I will print that data and then see if I can find what applies to my aircraft.
OLE POKEY
170C
Director:
2012-2018
hilltop170

Post by hilltop170 »

Since the AFMs are required, why are they so hard to find? The 170 is the only one out of 4 Cessna airplanes I have been able to obtain, thanks to the 170 Club. The FAA web site does not have them like they do with the TCDS. I went to the Cessna dealer in Anchorage and was told and shown in a parts catalog the POH is now the AFM on single engine models. What gives?
Richard Pulley
2014-2016 TIC170A Past President
1951 170A, N1715D, s/n 20158, O-300D
2023 Best Original 170A at Sault Ste. Marie
Owned from 1973 to 1984.
Bought again in 2006 after 22 years.
It's not for sale!
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

The "A" in AFM stands for "Approved", meaning FAA-approved. Although the FAA approved the document, it is a manufacturer's publication and in most cases must be obtained directly from the mfr'r.... not the FAA. Cessna will quite happily sell that one page to you for about $50. Many of our members have shared their copies and that is how the assn. acquired them. (The AFM is not serialed to the aircraft, but is applicable to the aircraft configuration, therefore be certain the AFM copy you have in your possession is the one applicable to your aircraft.... See the TCDS for the DATE of the AFM applicable to your aircraft model, configuration, etc.)

Some POH's (Pilot Operating Handbooks) are FAA approved. Many are not, and are merely marketing brochures and informational literature. Just because a POH might be FAA approved does not mean it is a required document. The TCDS defines the required operational documents that must be aboard the aircraft, and there is no "standard" answer except to read and comply with the TCDS.
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
Brad Brady

Post by Brad Brady »

Ole pokey,
As I'm sure you already know the only paper work you need on your AC is AROW (airworthiness cert, registration, operators manual, and weight and balance) As George and Richard pointed out the real Knowledge needed is that you, and every one else in this forum, understand what each part or AROW means. You can have everything in your position.....and without the knowledge how to present it to some one ramp checking you, you can still get violated. Of course you can fix that ....but it will cost you time....that's no fun..unless you like that kinda stuff....The same paper work is required on all aircraft. George or Richard can correct me... but I believe that an AFM is only needed when a STC or 337 requires it from the main operators manual. so if you are driving a pristine 170, and you have an operators manual, you have no issue.
jrenwick

Post by jrenwick »

The TCDS isn't the last word, either. Be sure to read all your STCs, because some of them make additional requirements for documents and placards to be carried on board. Those are just as binding as the TCDS.

I keep all the required documents in plastic sheet-protectors in a 3-ring binder in the seat pocket or on the hat shelf. Except for the registration and airworthiness certificate, which are on display in the plastic pouch in the sidewall upholstery. Logbooks are the same way -- everything in sheet-protectors, with tabs to locate each section. I learned this from my AI, who always gets kudos from the FAA when they look at logs he has done. Most people I know are doing this now.
John Renwick
Minneapolis, MN
Former owner, '55 C-170B, N4401B
'42 J-3 Cub, N62088
'50 Swift GC-1B, N2431B, Oshkosh 2009 Outstanding Swift Award, 2016 Best Continuously Maintained Swift
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Brad Brady wrote:....The same paper work is required on all aircraft. George or Richard can correct me... but I believe that an AFM is only needed when a STC or 337 requires it from the main operators manual. so if you are driving a pristine 170, and you have an operators manual, you have no issue.
This is the type of misunderstanding that I specifically addressed at the Branson Maintenance Forum. Your not alone in believing so. It's not correct, and it's a common minsconception.

FOR A CESSNA 170, of any model, the APPROVED FLIGHT MANUAL ....MUST... be on board! It is REQUIRED EQUIPMENT. Not all airplanes have AFM's but the Cessna 170 does. A Pilot Operating Handbook does not exist for the Cessna 170. The "Operators Handbook" which does exist DOES NOT QUALIFY!
jrenwick wrote:The TCDS isn't the last word, either. Be sure to read all your STCs, because some of them make additional requirements for documents and placards to be carried on board. Those are just as binding as the TCDS.

I keep all the required documents in plastic sheet-protectors in a 3-ring binder in the seat pocket or on the hat shelf. Except for the registration and airworthiness certificate, which are on display in the plastic pouch in the sidewall upholstery. Logbooks are the same way -- everything in sheet-protectors, with tabs to locate each section. I learned this from my AI, who always gets kudos from the FAA when they look at logs he has done. Most people I know are doing this now.
While it's not wrong to do this.... I STRONGLY ADVISE AGAINST IT!

For several reasons it is not wise (in my opinion) to carry aircraft logbooks and unnecessary maintenance records in the airplane.
Firstly: The loss of the airplane may result in the loss of the records which may be needed for legal reasons.
Secondly: The logbooks are VALUABLE and cannot be recovered if stolen or vandalized. I know of several instances in which exactly that has happened. (Keep your logs at home in a safe place.)
Thirdly: If you choose to carry STC documentation in your airplane....CARRY COPIES...NOT ORIGINALS.

FOURTHLY: IF YOUR MAINTENANCE RECORDS (LOGBOOKS) ARE ABOARD THE AIRCRAFT WHEN THE FAA INSPECTOR PERFORMS A "RAMP CHECK"... YOU MUST PROVIDE THEM TO HIM! Why expose yourself to such scrutiny when it is not a required item?

The only documents required to be aboard the aircraft in the U.S. are:
Registration
Airworthiness
Approved Flight Manual
Current Equipment List with Weight and Balance report.

Travel abroad may also require:
Proof of insurance
Radio Station License
hilltop170

Post by hilltop170 »

Don't forget, the Airplane Flight Manual Supplements that come with STCs need to be in the plane with the Airplane Flight Manual.

George- It's Airplane Flight Manual, NOT Approved Flight Manual. The AFMs are approved but "approved" is not the title.
Richard Pulley
Owned from 1973 to 1984.
It's not for sale!
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

hilltop170 wrote:Don't forget, the Airplane Flight Manual Supplements that come with STCs need to be in the plane with the Airplane Flight Manual.

George- It's Airplane Flight Manual, NOT Approved Flight Manual. The AFMs are approved but "approved" is not the title.
No, Richard. I said what I meant. APPROVED (airplane) Flight Manual. While you are referring to the title of the document (Airplane Flight Manual) ... I was referring to the one that is FAA (CAA) Approved.
There are many airplane flight manuals. But the FAA-APPROVED one is the one that must be aboard. The Approved (airplane) Flight Manual is signed and dated by a representative of the FAA (CAA). The TCDS specifies which dated approval must be aboard which airplane configuration.

Not all STC's have AFM supplements, but Richard is certainly correct when he says that those having AFM supplements, should have copies of those supplements onboard, as they become part of that Approved document.
jrenwick

Post by jrenwick »

gahorn wrote:...

While it's not wrong to do this.... I STRONGLY ADVISE AGAINST IT!

For several reasons it is not wise (in my opinion) to carry aircraft logbooks and unnecessary maintenance records in the airplane....
George, if you'll notice, I did not say I carry my log books in the airplane. I said I use sheet protectors for the logbook documentation. I never carry my logs in the airplane. :roll:

What I have in the airplane is exactly the list you gave, plus other paperwork and placards as required by STCs. For example, the Horton STOL kit includes a sheet with additions/modifications to the AFM (i.e. an AFM Supplement). The EAA autogas STC must be carried on board. The Garmin 430 has an AFM Supplement that must be on board, as well as the user manual. Etc., etc.
John Renwick
Minneapolis, MN
Former owner, '55 C-170B, N4401B
'42 J-3 Cub, N62088
'50 Swift GC-1B, N2431B, Oshkosh 2009 Outstanding Swift Award, 2016 Best Continuously Maintained Swift
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

I didn't intend to appear to criticize your practice, John. Sorry if it seemed that way. I was just thinking that the words chosen might unfortunately lead some to believe that all those documents are carried on board during flights.
jrenwick wrote:...I keep all the required documents in plastic sheet-protectors in a 3-ring binder in the seat pocket or on the hat shelf. Except for the registration and airworthiness certificate, which are on display in the plastic pouch in the sidewall upholstery. Logbooks are the same way -- ....
hilltop170

Post by hilltop170 »

gahorn wrote:
hilltop170 wrote:George- It's Airplane Flight Manual, NOT Approved Flight Manual. The AFMs are approved but "approved" is not the title.
No, Richard. I said what I meant. APPROVED (airplane) Flight Manual. While you are referring to the title of the document (Airplane Flight Manual) ... I was referring to the one that is FAA (CAA) Approved.
There are many airplane flight manuals. But the FAA-APPROVED one is the one that must be aboard. The Approved (airplane) Flight Manual is signed and dated by a representative of the FAA (CAA). The TCDS specifies which dated approval must be aboard which airplane configuration.

George-
Not to belabor the point, but there is too much confusion concerning this topic already. If someone goes looking for an "Approved Flight Manual", they are not going to find one. Using the correct terminology for the sake of those less informed is the only point in this discussion. I know and you know what you are referring to but somebody else may not.

As you already know and others can see in the attachment below, the Model 170A Landplane, Rev A., Airplane Flight Manual is what this conversation is about. This document is the one required to be in the airplane at all times. The CAA/FAA approval signatures are on page two showing it IS approved but it's not an "Approved Flight Manual" with capital letters. It is the approved (small letter) AIRPLANE Flight Manual (capital letters).

The document that is required to be in the airplane is an approved "Airplane Flight Manual" and any approved "Airplane Flight Manual Supplements" associated with any STCs installed on the plane.
C-170A AFM Header.jpg
C-170A AFM Footer.jpg
Last edited by hilltop170 on Wed Oct 08, 2008 2:58 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Richard Pulley
Owned from 1973 to 1984.
It's not for sale!
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Well, if belaboring the point helps folks understand the issue, then the intent is satisfied.

The point is that the version of the Airplane Flight Manual that is aboard the airplane must be the APPROVED version as specified by the TCDS. (Not necessarily the version you posted, which I removed to avoid further errors.)

Everyone: Richard is pointing out what I never would have imagined would have been misunderstood without his help, that someone might not recognize that the Airplane Flight Manual is the actual title of the document required to be aboard your Cessna 170. What I had segued into my vocabulary was the word "Approved" ...(the actual terminology listed in the TCDS is "Approved Airplane Flight Manual") ... which refers to FAA or CAA approval, and which must be signified as applicable to your specific airplane by an FAA or CAA inspector's signature and date as described in the Type Certificate Data Sheet. The date of the document is important as specified in your airplane's TCDS. (A landplane AFM is not appicable to a seaplane, etc. A Continental engined airplane is not the same as a Franklin engined airplane and their AFM's are not the same, etc etc.)

If you are a Member of this Association you may obtain certain AFM copies from Headquarters for a small copying fee or FREE from the Members Only page of these forums. If you are NOT a member of this Association, you may obtain one from Cessna publications for $50 for the single-sheet document.

Here are all the possibilities listed by the TCDS (Important- notice also the DATE of the document as it may apply to your particular aircraft):

402. (a) CAA Approved Airplane Flight Manual and pertinent revisions  applicable to the particular model, serial number, and landing gear installation
(b) CAA Approved Supplement No. 1 to Airplane Flight Manual (pertinent  to winterization equipment, Item 105, designed for 0552000 and 0552001 engine cowls)
(c) CAA Approved Supplement No. 2 to Airplane Flight Manual (pertinent  to Koppers propeller installation, Item 4)
(d) CAA Approved Airplane Flight Manuals (Skiplane) dated April 24, 1948 (Model 170) and December 3, 1948 (Model 170A)
(e) The following supplement to Airplane Flight Manual is required for all skis listed except for ski Item 208(a) which is covered by Item 402(d) above. "PERFORMANCE WITH SKIS INSTALLED
Takeoff and Landing: Under the most favorable conditions of smooth packed snow at temperatures approximately 30°F. skiplane takeoff distance is approximately 10 percent greater than the distance shown for the landplane. Skiplane landing distance is approximately 20 percent greater than that shown for the landplane. In applying the performance data, caution should be exercised in that lower temperatures or other snow conditions will increase the ski friction and hence increase the takeoff run and either increase or decrease the landing run.
Climb Performance: The skiplane rate of climb is approximately 50 feet per minute less than the landplane."
(f) CAA Approved Airplane Flight Manual for Model 170B, dated  September 28, 1950.
*(g) CAA Approved Supplement to Airplane Flight Manual dated March 15, 1950 (Model 170A) (landplane) or December 30, 1955 (Model 170B) (landplane). (Pertinent to Franklin 6A4-165-B3 engine installation, Item 111.)
(h) CAA Approved Airplane Flight Manual for Model 170B seaplane dated| October 29, 1951.
(i) CAA Approved Supplement No. 3 to Airplane Flight Manual. (Pertinent| to Winterization Equipment, Item 105, designed for 0552002 engine cowl).
*(j) CAA Approved Airplane Flight manual Supplement for Models 170A and 170B dated July 5, 1955. (Pertinent to McCauley controllable propeller installation, Item 5).
*(k) CAA Approved Airplane Flight Manual Supplement dated November 18, 1955 (Pertinent to auxiliary fuel tank installation, Item 113).
*(l) CAA Approved Supplement to Airplane Flight Manual dated October 6, 1955 (Pertinent to Franklin 6A5-164-B3 engine installation in Model 170A and 170B seaplanes).
*(m) CAA Approved Airplane Flight Manual Supplement dated January 17, 1957, prepared by Sensenich Corporation, Lancaster, Pennsylvania, pertinent to Sensenich Propeller Installation, Item *6.
hilltop170

Post by hilltop170 »

George-
Now we have solved the mystery!

The TCDS says we must have an Approved Airplane Flight Manual, AAFM?

Cessna issued an Airplane Flight Manual that the CAA/FAA approved, AFM.

Now, it's perfectly clear, even to me.

P.S. George- sorry for attaching a proprietary document to the previous post, it was not an intentional effort to distribute club property (I did buy my copy from the club), I only wanted to show the header and footer of the document, which I have re-posted without the content of the document.
Last edited by hilltop170 on Wed Oct 08, 2008 3:12 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Richard Pulley
Owned from 1973 to 1984.
It's not for sale!